• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Planning Student Placement Vacancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Cheaper than trying to nick an experienced one off of NR or another TOC I suppose

RJ

Established Member
Cheaper than trying to nick an experienced one off of NR or another TOC I suppose

Looking at it from another perspective, it's good that they're offering students an opportunity to get a foot on the ladder! I'm sure a few of my course mates would be interested as at the moment, most of those who chose the sandwich course option are still trying to find a place somewhere.

I'm eligible to apply and it does look like a very interesting role.

Looking at it from another perspective, it's good that they're offering students an opportunity to get a foot on the ladder! I'm sure a few of my course mates would be interested as at the moment, most of those who chose the sandwich course option are still trying to find a place somewhere.

I'm eligible to apply and it does look like a very interesting role.

I disagree - in our department only 1 person has a degree. If you want to get a foot on the ladder just apply for a permanent job.

This role is about getting labour on the cheap - £14k vs £27k for the VT role.

A word of warning about the VT role - you'll be working with me:lol::lol:

RJ

Established Member
I disagree - in our department only 1 person has a degree. If you want to get a foot on the ladder just apply for a permanent job.

This role is about getting labour on the cheap - £14k vs £27k for the VT role.

A word of warning about the VT role - you'll be working with me:lol::lol:

I meant foot in the ladder of the planning sector :). How old is the youngest person - would a 21 year old with no railway experience seriously be considered to be a traincrew diagrammer? I advertised the placement at uni and was talking to some people about it today. Reportedly the interview process quite nerve wracking for one person - being sat in front of a panel of half a dozen suited people! I'd say it's more character building for someone who isn't used to corporate environments!

I got the impression you were pretty sound - I saw you had a photo of a Fastline 56 published on The Forum!

The Planner

Veteran Member
I wouldn't see why not, NR take on people with no experience for train planning so unless VT are very picky then you should be in with a shout. I know which one I would go for.....

Established Member
A career in train planning can be very rewarding if you like that sort of thing. Beware that if you don't get out in the first 12 months you'll be there for life!

Whether it is timing or diagramming, clear logical thought is a key ability that employers will look for. Some TOC's use psychometric tests that can detect this ability. Typically an interview will consist of these tests plus a chat with two senior planners. Not so sure what NR interviews are like.

If you are new to the rail industry then of course you will not be expected to know everything. 'Full training will be given'. What is important however if the ability to work in a team. A brilliant planner who can't communicate is of no use.

Finally don't be put off a crew diagramming job by the inevitable stick you will receive from train crew. Working with the union reps can be the most interesting part of the job. Remember when you work out a diagram, someone has to get out of bed to work it.

(Cue for all the train crew on here to hurl abuse.......:) )

I meant foot in the ladder of the planning sector :). How old is the youngest person - would a 21 year old with no railway experience seriously be considered to be a traincrew diagrammer? I advertised the placement at uni and was talking to some people about it today. Reportedly the interview process quite nerve wracking for one person - being sat in front of a panel of half a dozen suited people! I'd say it's more character building for someone who isn't used to corporate environments!

I got the impression you were pretty sound - I saw you had a photo of a Fastline 56 published on The Forum!

I was 21 when I was offered my job (with no railway experience) and I'm not the youngest. At 27 I feel like an old git now:cry:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I wouldn't see why not, NR take on people with no experience for train planning so unless VT are very picky then you should be in with a shout. I know which one I would go for.....

It is more attitude than anything else. Training can be given. If you have a mature outlook and a logical brain then age shouldn't be a factor.

Ivo

Established Member
12 months for only £14K? I've been offered a Summer Internship with a higher weekly wage than that, and it's on buses where wages are in theory lower - with potential for progression onto a £25K Graduate Scheme!

To me this is just Arriva trying to save a quick buck or 50. Nothing new there.

Not to mention they are restricting potential interest by limiting the courses they would consider. I would be more than capable of doing this, but my Degree automatically disqualifies me. Oh well, it's only Arriva :lol:

LCC106

Established Member
It's Cross Country unless I've missed something...

I personally feel university versus experience is a bit like the chicken and the egg. I did a part time postgraduate degree a few years ago. Some of the full time students really struggled because they had no real world experience, whilst things started to click in to place for me based on underpinning theory etc.

Simon11

Established Member
I don't see why some of you disagree with this concept?

£14k is pretty average for a placement year and it is fantastic opportunity for a student. They get a taste of actual work, lots to put on their cv and if they do well have a high chance of being invited back after completing their degree.

I did a placement with virgin on £15k and without that I wouldn't be where I am now. If anything, I think I've got to a senior position quicker than someone who attended a grad scheme!

sprinterguy

Established Member
12 months for only £14K? I've been offered a Summer Internship with a higher weekly wage than that, and it's on buses where wages are in theory lower - with potential for progression onto a £25K Graduate Scheme!

To me this is just Arriva trying to save a quick buck or 50. Nothing new there.
£14,000 is very much the typical wage for a 12 month student placement in the transport industry. Personally, if this position had been offered a couple of years ago when I was looking for my industrial placement, I would have jumped at the chance - In fact something similar, though not as specifically aimed at train planning, was offered and I did jump at it!

In exactly the same vein as what Simon11 has said above, I cannot stress enough how valuable gaining practical experience in the industry while studying for a degree is: I personally feel that the various roles that I held in the public transport industry, and the experience I gained from them, were the most worthwhile and meaningful aspects of my time at University when it came to securing a job in the rail industry after I graduated. Although having a 2:1 Honours in Transport Management does, to an extent, make potential employers sit up and take notice, I feel that it would be worth a lot less on it's own without my range of practical experience.

Not to mention they are restricting potential interest by limiting the courses they would consider. I would be more than capable of doing this, but my Degree automatically disqualifies me.
It is very conveniently placed for the Transport Management course at Aston University though, which has an excellent record for getting it's students into the industry. It certainly worked for me!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's Cross Country unless I've missed something...
Cross Country's parent company is Arriva (Who in turn are owned by DB!).
Oh well, it's only Arriva :lol:
I'd quite like to work for DB though. :) Albeit preferably in Germany, they still have a railway system that makes sense over there...

Last edited:

FGW_DID

Established Member

Good for you that you've been offered work with what you consider a decent wage, some people may not be so lucky and may welcome 14k for a year!

Status
Not open for further replies.