• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train planning: who decides platform allocations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

geoffk

Established Member
Yes, the overlaps foul each other, the reduced overlap route for arriving can only be used for four cars max else you foul the station throat.
OK thanks. That may explain why platform 3 is so little used. Is there a solution?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The Piccadilly P15/16 and Oxford Road platform project would have had to sort this out, as having trains alternating between the two platforms is pretty much unworkable otherwise.

geoffk

Established Member
The Piccadilly P15/16 and Oxford Road platform project would have had to sort this out, as having trains alternating between the two platforms is pretty much unworkable otherwise.
A despatcher cannot give the right of way to a train at Oxford Road's platform 4 under a single yellow; it has to be double yellow. This will, I assume, be part of the same signalling issue. Of course this line was never built to handle this volume of trains originating from as far away as Glasgow, Newcastle and Norwich.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
A despatcher cannot give the right of way to a train at Oxford Road's platform 4 under a single yellow; it has to be double yellow. This will, I assume, be part of the same signalling issue. Of course this line was never built to handle this volume of trains originating from as far away as Glasgow, Newcastle and Norwich.
Looks like a train proceeding on single yellow and stopped at the next signal could still be occupying the overlaps of the platform starters and thus forcing any train into either platform to use a warner route with a shorter overlap. Although I can't help thinking keeping the train in the platform in this situation would be worse.

D1009

Established Member
OK thanks. That may explain why platform 3 is so little used. Is there a solution?
What are you trying to solve? A lightly used platform can be a godsend in times of disruption, particularly one that can be used for turnbacks.

ANWP Tom

This is an area ive been working within during my current work within network rail.

Know as Docking, large stations have a booked platform docker. Where allocated platforms, splits or units, on top stabling etc are put into an expanded timetable document. This is currently handled by Central train planning at Milton Keynes.

My current work has been to make the midweek Edinburgh Waverley docking plan rotational to leave half the station clear of trains overnight (North Monday/Wednesday, South Tuesday/Thursday) effectively doubling the number of dockers for the station with one working MWO and the other TThO. This document is currently at Milton Keynes for verification before coming in as part of the December timetable change. The net result being a net increase from 100 minutes max possible in a small area block to a total 1/2 station block of 240 minutes each night Monday to Thursday delivering a 16 hour increase on current booked access levels (5 hours Saturday night only with trains stabled in possession)

Adhoc changes often apply at medium sized stations. An example I'm working with on the increased access and through diagramming front is perth where unit positions depend on the arrival order and scotrail control allocations for the following morning. The long term plan is to through diagram perth with clear platform options for maintenance overnight.

Glasgow Central and Inverness are the next places to follow the Waverley model with different splitting with Glasgow Central going to a 3/4 block rotation and Inverness awaiting confirmation of track modification projects.

The key aim is to allow the aligning of blockage access to the working timetable allowing a modal shift from red zone working and 'turn up and ask' blockages to a national access timetable removing the overly complex track access systems currently in use with overall benefits of productivity increase, better defect cover and reductions in backlog, aimed towards TPM style maintenance and inspection.

Hope that elaborates on platform allocations and how tweaking them can help with unseen things.

noddingdonkey

I saw a more unusual reason for a platform alteration at Huddersfield many years ago, back in the days when Platform 4 was unoccupied for most of the day unless something went pear shaped.

A Leeds-bound 158 was brought into 4B rather than the usual 8, because it needed a water top up (presumably as coolant? Or maybe screenwash or for the bog) and there were facilities for this on 4.

LAX54

Established Member
At our PSB, the Signaller will adhere to the WTT/Simplifier or the A&D sheets provided by the Station, (which invariably differ to the WTT!) The Signaller will not alter a platform unless advised by the Station or Control, if they do, and it causes a delay, then it's a Signaller delay

geoffk

Established Member
What are you trying to solve? A lightly used platform can be a godsend in times of disruption, particularly one that can be used for turnbacks.
Pl. 3 is used for turnbacks, through freights and, as far as I can tell, just one regular through passenger working. Being able to use 3 and 4 at the same time, with trains proceeding to Piccadilly, would reduce the number of trains queuing back to Deansgate, but I guess they would then hit another bottleneck at Piccadilly, unless 13 and 14 took two trains at the same time, which the signalling appears to allow.

Established Member
This is an area ive been working within during my current work within network rail.

Know as Docking, large stations have a booked platform docker. Where allocated platforms, splits or units, on top stabling etc are put into an expanded timetable document. This is currently handled by Central train planning at Milton Keynes.

My current work has been to make the midweek Edinburgh Waverley docking plan rotational to leave half the station clear of trains overnight (North Monday/Wednesday, South Tuesday/Thursday) effectively doubling the number of dockers for the station with one working MWO and the other TThO. This document is currently at Milton Keynes for verification before coming in as part of the December timetable change. The net result being a net increase from 100 minutes max possible in a small area block to a total 1/2 station block of 240 minutes each night Monday to Thursday delivering a 16 hour increase on current booked access levels (5 hours Saturday night only with trains stabled in possession)

Adhoc changes often apply at medium sized stations. An example I'm working with on the increased access and through diagramming front is perth where unit positions depend on the arrival order and scotrail control allocations for the following morning. The long term plan is to through diagram perth with clear platform options for maintenance overnight.

Glasgow Central and Inverness are the next places to follow the Waverley model with different splitting with Glasgow Central going to a 3/4 block rotation and Inverness awaiting confirmation of track modification projects.

The key aim is to allow the aligning of blockage access to the working timetable allowing a modal shift from red zone working and 'turn up and ask' blockages to a national access timetable removing the overly complex track access systems currently in use with overall benefits of productivity increase, better defect cover and reductions in backlog, aimed towards TPM style maintenance and inspection.

Hope that elaborates on platform allocations and how tweaking them can help with unseen things.

Docking seems to be a Scottish phrase. When I first heard someone refer to the Edinburgh Docker I hadn’t a clue what they were on about. Certainly not a phrase used down here.

Locations where trains stable in platforms will always be subject to platform alterations due to the allocation of units to specific diagrams. Similar for locations where only certain platforms can access certain parts of the yard, such as at Colchester, or where units move to and from a maintenance depot, e.g. Norwich.

The permanent platforming plan is, if planned correctly, a description of how the timetable should work. Daily operational requirements will frequently change that plan.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Pl. 3 is used for turnbacks, through freights and, as far as I can tell, just one regular through passenger working. Being able to use 3 and 4 at the same time, with trains proceeding to Piccadilly, would reduce the number of trains queuing back to Deansgate, but I guess they would then hit another bottleneck at Piccadilly, unless 13 and 14 took two trains at the same time, which the signalling appears to allow.

Crew changes also happen (or at least used to happen) at Oxford Rd. Back in FNW days, keeping a platform free of normal planned use was a God-send for when a driver doesn't show up/isn't available.

Plus 4 is far, far better for passengers - level access to the exit and avoiding the congested footbridge.

cuccir

Established Member
An anecdote:

On my morning commute I usually take the 08:18 Durham - Newcastle which goes via the High Level Bridge into Newcastle station, rather than via the usual King Edward Bridge. I like it because it's a quiet and reliable train BUT until the December 2017 timetable change it did have the problem of often being held-up on arrival at Newcastle, as it had to cross over the path of the southbound ECML to get to its booked platform (4). It had quite a lot of padding in its timetable to allow for this, and sometimes it would be able to nip in early; once a month or so delays on the ECML would mean it sat on the Bridge for a good 10 minutes.

Last December, I was pleasently surprised when it started arriving in at platform 6, avoiding having to cross any lines and getting me in reliably 5 minutes earlier, and avoiding the occasional lengthier delays. What was interesting to me was how much else had to move to facilitate this: the trains arrving into Newcastle at 08:34 (Edinburgh-Plymouth), 08:37 (Leeds-Aberdeen) and 08:39 (Glasgow-Southampton) all had to swap platforms to remove this recurring delay.

I was impressed and thankful that this jigsaw-with-trains has been completed to improve my journey time, but what I really took from it was how complex the process must be.

Status
Not open for further replies.