• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train protection (other than a shed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lad

Has anyone any experience of protecting a train from 'unplanned events' by which I mean graffiti painting or vandalism?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gostav

I think the worst attack is a arson attack at Swindon and Cricklade Railway in 2016, a class 206 was destroyed .

Taunton

Established Member
Back when GM used to ship Class 59/66 across from the plant in Canada, they had a large tarpaulin which covered them very well with tie down points etc. I believe after the first one was spied by David Shepherd at Foster Yeoman on arrival and "given" to him for East Somerset stock, they became very much a desired item for protecting stock in the medium term.

StoneRoad

Unfortunately, a well wrapped tarpaulin covering a vehicle against the elements is not always a sufficient deterrent to the light-fingered fraternity (or those armed with spray cans) and unless suitably well ventilated there can be problems. Really only suitable for long-term storage.

I think the best deterrent is to have people on-site at all times, and patrolling at night, with the site boundary well secured. CCTV is only useful for evidence gathering ...

Brush 4

The Polar Express stock was moved from Meldon Quarry to Okehampton station, because of graffiti attacks. The old down line had to be extended in the Exeter direction to accommodate it. Why locals would go to so much trouble, by driving up a narrow steep bendy road to get to the quarry to spray stock is beyond me. The station is gated and locked at night and the youth hostel in the old goods shed has cameras and occupants.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I suppose a disused tunnel with gates at the end would be quite handy. Don't some preserved lines already do this?

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I suppose a disused tunnel with gates at the end would be quite handy. Don't some preserved lines already do this?

Would be an invitation to some - there is a whole wide web world of subterranean 'explorers' hellbent on getting into tunnels with the intent of every conceivable kind of mischief. A shed would be a lot less appealing to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.