• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train retimed by 1 minute - no longer meets minimum connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the December timetable change the 17:07 Dumfries to Carlisle is retimed by 1 minute, arriving at 17.46 instead of 17.45.

However, Carlisle's minimum connection time is 8 minutes, so the 17.53 to EUS is no longer a valid connection now. It's cross platform, never been an issue to make before, with enough time to get a coffee even!

Would anyone listen if I raised it somewhere!?!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Looking at RTT, for some reason an engineering allowance has been moved to South of the junction, which means additional pathing time north of it as there is a conflicting move over Gretna junction. Why this has been done for this one train isn't obvious. Worth flagging up!

Iskra

Established Member
Surely it's still almost impossible to miss, if the VT is behind the Scotrail service, apart from in the event of severe delay to the Dumfries service, which would probably cause you to miss the VT service anyway...

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Write to Scotrail but you'll need to persist to get it escalated to someone who can do something about it.

I managed to get a similar issue at Rugby resolved a few years ago by London Midland. When Project 110 started Northampton lost the majority of its Trent Valley services. A 5 minute connection was promised at Rugby but when the timetable came out the connection was an unofficial 4 minute one. I wrote to LM and eventually they understood the issue and eased the arrival time at Rugby of the train from Northampton.

I wasn't so fortunate with GTR. A couple of years back the arrival of a GTR train at Peterborough was pushed back by 1 minute meaning it missed a connection into an Edinburgh train. I wrote to GTR who replied saying they would never timetable a train to connect with another train operators service. Typical GTR wibble....

IanD

Established Member
Surely it's still almost impossible to miss, if the VT is behind the Scotrail service, apart from in the event of severe delay to the Dumfries service, which would probably cause you to miss the VT service anyway...

Almost impossible to miss but now an invalid connection so through Advances disappear and no delay repay if the almost impossible happens and the connection is missed.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Presumably it wasn't compliant at Gretna Jn before, you need a 4 minute margin between trains and there is a Drax to Hunterston before it which isn't there currently from what I can tell. It seems a bit odd to do (unless someone specified it is a connection, no one would have taken it into account) and it looks easy to fix, someone just needs to agree that the engineering recovery time approaching Carlisle in the Scotrail is reduced taking into account any risk that has.

Status
Not open for further replies.