Train Seat Guide

Ayman Ilham

Yes and no. The replacement of the existing very thick backed seats with thin backed ones in the same layout means that there is about 2" (or a bit more than that) more legroom, which means I can fit in an airline seat and don't have to play kneesie at a table. To me, therefore, it's a total winner.
Ah okay, that's not bad then I guess :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
Yes and no. The replacement of the existing very thick backed seats with thin backed ones in the same layout means that there is about 2" (or a bit more than that) more legroom, which means I can fit in an airline seat and don't have to play kneesie at a table. To me, therefore, it's a total winner.
Not been on the refurbished train, but in general I find the legroom on 158s very poor, so on balance I'd prefer thinner seats (as long as the numbers stay the same!)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not been on the refurbished train, but in general I find the legroom on 158s very poor, so on balance I'd prefer thinner seats (as long as the numbers stay the same!)
They solve two aspects of the original layout that causes tall people issues - one is the actual space (solved by thinner backs) and the other is that the original seats are raked backwards, which means that unless you have a very short lower leg your knees hit the seat higher up and therefore there is less useful space. There's a third side-issue which is that as a tall person I've got used to bringing my knees lower by tucking my feet under my seat, but you can't do that either because they are too low! The design would work with 8 bodyside windows rather than 9, but we are where we are with the windows.

It really is a significant improvement - and without reducing the seat count and retaining the full window alignment too.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
What are the first class seats on the class 800s/801s/802s? Standard class is Fainsa Sophia isn't it. Also, do the TPE mark 5 and 397 fleets have the same seats (in first and in standard) as their 802s which I have read are the same as GWR's (except for the colour of course)? The only 80x units I've been on so far have been GWR sets.

duffers2324

i would have to say they are comfortable enough my top 3 for seats would have to be

1: Scotrail Class 170 seats (refurbed) although there are a few now that are getting a tad firm
2: These class 158 Richmond seats, comfortable enough but a nice bit of spring to them
3: the old Ashbourne seats in Scotrail 156's pre refurb

superalbs

Established Member
What are the first class seats on the class 800s/801s/802s? Standard class is Fainsa Sophia isn't it. Also, do the TPE mark 5 and 397 fleets have the same seats (in first and in standard) as their 802s which I have read are the same as GWR's (except for the colour of course)? The only 80x units I've been on so far have been GWR sets.
Fainsa MD, yes it's all the same.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Fainsa MD
Thanks for the answer; they aren't just the same Sophia seats as standard but with a pillow stuck to the headrest then. Wonder if this makes it worth paying 1st class fares to get away from the awfully hard Sophias in standard.

superalbs

Established Member
Thanks for the answer; they aren't just the same Sophia seats as standard but with a pillow stuck to the headrest then. Wonder if this makes it worth paying 1st class fares to get away from the awfully hard Sophias in standard.
Yeah it's an upgrade - but don't worry, it's still bad! :D

TT-ONR-NRN

On Moderation
I don’t know the actual name of them, but I believe they are the same as first class on LNER Mk4s, just with a cloth covering rather than leather. If that is the case they’re incredibly comfortable seats
They’re different seats you can see from the headrest. These seats are the same as Chiltern Railways Business Zone, SWR 159 first and old FGW HST first before it had the GWR refurbishment