• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Service Controller - Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorks lass

Hi
Is anyone currently doing the role of Train Service controller or ever done the role? Preferably with Northern.
I have a basic understanding of what's involved but would love to hear from anyone who has experience to what is done on a day to day basis
Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Not at Northern, but I do have a general working understanding of these types of roles

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Hi. Any information you could give would be appreciated. I know there might be slight differences between TOCs but they will be very similar roles.

Feel free to drop me a private message, might be easier to discuss there.

CW2

Established Member
Feel free to drop me a private message, might be easier to discuss there.
Once you've discussed this, perhaps you could post a message for the rest of us to understand the role. (I've got plenty of Control Office experience myself, but it dates back 20 - 30 years or more, so I'd be interested to see how it works nowadays, compared with the way it used to be).

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Once you've discussed this, perhaps you could post a message for the rest of us to understand the role. (I've got plenty of Control Office experience myself, but it dates back 20 - 30 years or more, so I'd be interested to see how it works nowadays, compared with the way it used to be).

Sure it's a very diverse role but I would break the core parts into:

- Proactively keeping an eye on the train service (normally broken into multiple 'areas/desks' for your given TOC)
- Being notified by incidents by stations, crew, other control staff (TOC or NR), or signallers. Often through phone messages.
- Creating service amendements as required due to late running (cancellations, terminate short, not to call orders, additional calling orders, rerouting etc.)
- Understand implications of service amendements (i.e next working, depot finishes, staff working hours)
- Working with fleet, information and resourcing teams to manage the amendements you have agreed - and indeed work out if your plan is indeed feasible
- Implement contingency plans if particular sections of route become unavailable. This might include cancellations one service group, or reducing its frequency.
- Maintaining a log as approriate.
- Shift planning of fleet and resources for the following shift if alterations are required and liasing with engineering teams (things like stock changeovers or fleet faults).

Each TOC of course does this differently with various levels of supporting roles around them who may do some or none of the above.

CW2

Established Member
Thanks - that's a very clear explanation of the role.
What IT systems do you use in respect of the various aspects of the role?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Thanks - that's a very clear explanation of the role.
What IT systems do you use in respect of the various aspects of the role?

Normally you'll have a bank of screens with you. There will likely be a CCF (or similar) screen which is a graphical representation of all trains across the network, where they are and how late they are running. Then you'll have TOC specific software to check crew and stock diagrams and manging alterations and other industry tools like Tyrell for disruption messaging. And of course TRUST/TOPS & using the regular Microsoft tools.

desrudy

On Moderation
If you have applied you should receive some updates or emails regarding your application .

Status
Not open for further replies.