• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Simulator 2021: Core Update v71.5a Fast Load Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trackman

Established Member
This looks superb, I had to check it wasn't the 1st April.
Basically it's a turbo loader for routes.
Below is a video about it.
There is also a link to the DTG website with specific instructions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
This looks superb, I had to check it wasn't the 1st April.
Basically it's a turbo loader for routes.
Below is a video about it.
There is also a link to the DTG website with specific instructions.
I just finished watching this video and I'm definitely very impressed! I've not yet installed it, so I'm going to do a few tests on different routes and time how long they take to load (like Alan did in the video) before installing it and testing again to see what impact it's had on my install. I suppose it's a good thing that I reinstalled Train Sim the other day so my loading times are better now than they were a while ago anyway.

-Peter :)

Darandio

Established Member
Just remember when testing that it only applies to content inside .ap files. However, you can create your own .ap archives if you wish to take advantage of it.

Peter C

Established Member
Just remember when testing that it only applies to content inside .ap files. However, you can create your own .ap archives if you wish to take advantage of it.
Ah yes - thanks for the reminder. :)

-Peter

==========================
[about an hour after previous post]

I've just done some testing in TS and these are my results. They're in the spoiler so as to not make a massive post.

Type of scenarioRouteStockTime before adding updateTime after adding update
Career East Coast Mainline South (DTG)Class 365 (4-car, DTG)3:44.861:06.88*
Standard Western Mainlines (JT)Class 50 + Mk2s (DTG)7:27.9306:01.75
Quick DriveGWSR 'The Honeybourne Line' (SSS)Class 101 (DTG)06:42.8004:27.61

*This is the second time I recorded after installing the update; the first time was 04:04.61. I figured this probably wasn't right, so I went into Steam (I normally load TS from a shortcut on the desktop and had already added the -fastload suffix), clicked 'Update' on the TS page, and then went back into TS. I then got the 1:06.88 time as listed in the table.

So I've now got some better times - especially so in the case of ECMLS. Both ECMLS and WML had the AP Track EP installed, in case that's useful to anyone. I use a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series laptop for TS and it works really quite well, but being a laptop I wasn't expecting any drastic time changes.

-Peter

Last edited:

Inversnecky

It makes a fantastic difference - route loading typically down from about a minute thirty seconds to 15-20 seconds.

The main loading a lot quicker too.

Just a ten second job to type in -fastload or remove it if you so wish.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Has worked a treat for me too. Especially on the WCML Missing Link (probably my longest load).

Peter C

Established Member
Has anyone on here had any issues with the update? I've not had any issues so far but some people are saying they're getting more crashes and dumps (don't be childish) since installing it.

-Peter

Inversnecky

I’m beginning to wonder about that too: have had a fair few crashes, always in the menu screens, never on the routes.

Computer freezes and I have to reboot: even doing that saves time!

Peter C

Established Member
I’m beginning to wonder about that too: have had a fair few crashes, always in the menu screens, never on the routes.

Computer freezes and I have to reboot: even doing that saves time!
Thanks for the response @Inversnecky. My TS has been really stable (in TS terms) since I did a big re-install so I'm probably not using the best set-up to test the update as it's got less stuff on it than most installs will have I expect.

-Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.