• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Simulator 2021

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
There is a new AP Enhancement Pack in the works:-

To me it sounds like an EMU at high speed, possibly from the outside or with the windows open. My guess is a 323 or possibly, a 700.
I may be completely wrong and it's something unexpected like a class 70 or a voyager!

It’d be remarkably quick for them to do a 700 EP given it’s only just been released. Class 60 is the most likely. Richard from AP mentioned it on an Alan Thomson stream in December when asked and said, “Yes, within a month probably”.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

365 Networker

It’d be remarkably quick for them to do a 700 EP given it’s only just been released. Class 60 is the most likely. Richard from AP mentioned it on an Alan Thomson stream in December when asked and said, “Yes, within a month probably”.
That's possible, although I can't really hear any diesel sounds. We shall have to wait and see!

XAM2175

Established Member
AP have confirmed the next EP is for the 700, and it'll add the 707 and 717:

2022-02-22 at 20.56.48.jpeg

pompeyfan

Established Member
Out of interest has anyone made a list of rolling stock currently running in mainline passenger service that hasn’t yet been recreated or isn’t actively in development?

The only thing I can think of is the
MK5

Also is there any known plans to remake or enhance the 165/166 models? They’re 14 years old and it shows!

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Out of interest has anyone made a list of rolling stock currently running in mainline passenger service that hasn’t yet been recreated or isn’t actively in development?

The only thing I can think of is the 385s and 458s?

Also is there any known plans to remake or enhance the 165/166 models? They’re 14 years old and it shows!

I haven't heard that 195s or 331s are in development either.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I'd be very grateful if a company like Armstrong Powerhouse made a sound pack for 220/221/222 as I feel the default sounds for them are rather poor at best. I prefer driving the 390 on the WCML because I love the AP sound pack for it.

Silver Cobra

AP have confirmed the next EP is for the 700, and it'll add the 707 and 717:

View attachment 110621
The ATS Patch did a lot to correct the problems with the Class 700, but the AP enhancement pack is definitely a welcome addition (I've been using the 700 a lot recently). I'll very likely pick this up when it is released, especially with it adding the 717 to the game

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
I'd be very grateful if a company like Armstrong Powerhouse made a sound pack for 220/221/222 as I feel the default sounds for them are rather poor at best. I prefer driving the 390 on the WCML because I love the AP sound pack for it.

There was one, which has now been removed from sale, which would (hopefully) suggest that there’ll be a full enhancement pack at some point.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Off the top of my head (and accepting that I may have overlooked some less-prominent TS releases):
318, 333, 334, 345, 376, 484, 710, 720

I definitely missed quite a few then! Thanks for updating.

XAM2175

Established Member
I definitely missed quite a few then! Thanks for updating.
No worries! The lack of 318s and 334s is a big hole for me because I want them for suburban Glasgow, along with an AP EP for the 380, but I can understand that's a bit of a niche market.

Mentioning suburban routes though brings to mind the fact that with this new pack adding the 707 the only stock left needed to complete a modern-ish-day South Western metro set is the 458/5s, so that'd be nice. And maybe also a re-enhancement pack for the 444s and 450s, since AP have really come a long way since then.

365 Networker

It will be interesting to see how they do the 717 as it has a different front end and cab to the 700/707. They could probably use the 380 cab, although a new 717 cab would be nice. I'm not sure how they will do the outside as the front end is completely different with an emergency exit and indented area.

No worries! The lack of 318s and 334s is a big hole for me because I want them for suburban Glasgow, along with an AP EP for the 380, but I can understand that's a bit of a niche market.
That's understandable. I'm the same, although I don't mind the absence of 318s that much as they are basically the same as the 320s, which we have (although I often drive with a 3 car 319 instead as I find they feel better to drive in-game!).
A 334 would be very nice as they are very nice to travel on from a passenger perspective.
Anything with a front corridor connection I could pass on if I'm honest, e.g. I've tried driving 375s and the like on the new Chatham route, but you get such a restricted view out the window I just get bored very quickly, I always end up quitting and then starting the drive again with a 465.

XAM2175

Established Member
I'm the same, although I don't mind the absence of 318s that much as they are basically the same as the 320s ...
Hah, I'm sure I'm one of the very few people who prefer the looks of the 318 over the 320. I'm quietly hopeful that we see one from AP in a sort of incidental way at least - after all, the unmodified 318s are basically identical to 317/2s with the intermediate trailer left out, and the modified front end isn't hugely different.

The 334, perhaps unfortunately for us, is a bit of bigger hurdle because while it shares bodies, bogies, and traction kit with the 458s it's an entirely different front end and I imagine a substantially different cab too.

Still, I shouldn't complain too much, since the 700 and 707 were high on my wishlist and I'm excited to have them so quickly :E

Edited on 26 Feb:

AP teasing now with an SWT-liveried 707. Looks a real treat!

Attachments

• 274607638_5395027937191968_6807656028641352776_n.jpg
    274607638_5395027937191968_6807656028641352776_n.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Silver Cobra

I just saw that they released the pack today. Purchased it and am downloading it now.

**EDIT: Only done a brief test with it so far, but it's looking, sounding and feeling pretty spot on. The only criticism I can give thus far is the destination blinds along the sides of the train don't seem to work, whereas they work fine on the original DTG model and the ATS Patch version. I'm sure that's something AP will address in due course.

Last edited:

Established Member
Alan Thomson Sim now has phase 4 of the WCML Midlands and North West available which adds the Stoke Loop and also the WCML to Rugeley. Phase 5 will add the WCML south route to London.

SteveyBee131

Heads up! The updated North Wales Coast Line, which wasn't included in the recent sale, is currently on offer on Steam. Any who are wanting it and have any pocket money left over, it's significantly reduced until 4 April.

Silver Cobra

65% discount is pretty good. The Class 700 has also got a 65% discount currently, so anyone wanting to pick it up now is a good time. I strongly advise getting either the Alan Thomson Sim patch or the AP Enhancement Pack for it to fix the various errors with the base DTG model (both also add a 717, and the AP Pack adds the 707 too).

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
65% discount is pretty good. The Class 700 has also got a 65% discount currently, so anyone wanting to pick it up now is a good time. I strongly advise getting either the Alan Thomson Sim patch or the AP Enhancement Pack for it to fix the various errors with the base DTG model (both also add a 717, and the AP Pack adds the 707 too).

I’ll second that. If you can; go for the AP enhancement pack, well worth it.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Train Simulator 2022 is to be rebranded as Train Simulator Classic:-

There will also be updates to existing routes included. I'm not sure why this is being released so early in the year - it could be that this will be the last release of the game and DTG will now only produce DLC and maintain the existing software.

Agreed, could well be the last 20xx release. This sentence in the announcement - "You can look forward to continued support and many more Add-Ons from both Dovetail Games and our partners." So, support and add-ons, but not necessarily new game releases.

Peter C

Established Member
Just seen this:

GLASGOW SUBWAY COMING SOON!​

1650632751153.png

Glasgow Subway is coming to Train Simulator Classic, 28th April. We spoke to Alan from Thomson Interactive to give us an insight into them and their latest upcoming route.

Welcome Alan! For those who are unfamiliar with your work, please tell us a bit about yourself and the background to Thomson Interactive.​

I’ve had a pretty varied, and sometimes quite exciting career. After leaving school in the 1980’s I was desperate to start work in my first job as an in-house British Rail photographer for the Scottish region. Railways had been a passion for me for as long as I could remember, inspired mostly by my father from a very young age. I then went on to work in the computer graphics industry from the early 1990’s and worked for a number of UK based design and multimedia agencies. By 2010 I had been developing products for Train Simulator for a few years while running my own design business and decided to “take the plunge” making rail simulation development my sole interest and setting up Thomson Interactive Ltd in the August of that year.
Glasgow_ann_2.jpg

Thomson Interactive has built a solid reputation over the years, with many high-quality routes including the first Swiss TS routes released on the Steam store. Which of your routes are you the most proud of?​

That’s a very difficult question to answer! With every product I’ve developed I have tried to design new features to enhance the players’ experiences. West Highland Line Extension was the first with a fully operational RETB radio system. Then WCML Trent Valley had on-board passenger audio announcements and random traction faults during scenarios. Both of these routes were created in partnership with Keith Ross who did a superb job of route building. Then in 2015 I decided to explore a completely new territory by choosing to develop a range of Swiss narrow gauge routes operated by the Rhaetian Railway (RhB). This gave me a clean sheet as everything needed to be built from scratch including track, signalling and rolling stock for these incredible metre gauge lines.
After the first survey trip I realised that the cramped tunnels that feature so prominently would not look realistic if modelled to accommodate the standard in-game overhead line height. So I designed a variable height catenary system for all these Swiss RhB products starting with the Albula Line. The Arosa Line then added request stop functionality. I’m proud of all of these new features so it is very difficult to pick just one, but from a purely visual point of view Bernina Pass stands out. I’ve been incredibly lucky to have had as much support from the Rhaetian Railway during development and I will never forget sitting with the driver on the survey trip from St. Moritz to Tirano on that crisp sunny morning – that will be very hard to surpass.
GlasgowSubway_Map.jpg

You have a very exciting, and rather unique, new route coming April 28th – the Glasgow Subway. This is a route that you have a personal connection with, tell us about the real-life route and what features we can look forward to in the Thomson Interactive release.​

After becoming semi-retired in late 2020 I thought I’d be spending more time away from the computer screen but with Covid-19 lockdowns I found I had lots of spare time to start working on another project. This time I wanted to work on something that I had a direct connection with over the years – the Glasgow Subway. When I was primary school age, and before the 1977 modernisation of the subway, I have vivid memories of travelling with my mother from my home in Renfrew to my grandparents who lived in Scotstoun on the other side of the Clyde. This was a journey we made almost every week, taking a bus to Govan then the Subway to Merkland Street (now Partick station). The subway vehicles were the originals, at that time nearing eighty years old and full of character. The rippled glass and three brass bars at the seat divisions were just at my eye height and the red leather seats bounced with every “shoogle” the train made. At my young age it was a mixture of mild fear and extreme fascination, a magical underground world!
After the three year closure my father took me in to Glasgow one Saturday to experience the modernised subway which was almost unrecognisable. A mixture of high tech and late 1970s cream, brown and beige ceramic tiling. Everything seemed automatic and futuristic. This modernised subway is the experience I have tried to capture in Train Simulator with the new crossover chambers and lines to the surface depot that were introduced from 1980. Driving these trains also gives the player choice as the route has been developed to feature A.T.O. (Automatic Train Operation). Auto mode allows drivers to press a button to move from one station to the next with the A.T.O. system controlling every part of the journey including evaluation of intermediate signals between Govan and Ibrox and stopping in the target platform. In Train Simulator the player can either enable this automatic method of control or try to drive in manual mode. However manual driving is a real challenge due to the nature of the route and short platforms, but great fun all the same!
Tunnel_Section.jpg

It is quite a departure from the usual TS style of route. What new challenges came up in research and development?​

Research was very challenging due to lockdowns, with operator assistance and surveys out of the question. Luckily there is a huge wealth of reference material out there on the web and many weeks were spent simply scouring the Internet for any snippet of information that could help. Lots of books and videos purchased too. The station models were difficult to produce due to the combination of curved station walls on curved track combined with the curvature of the track humps posed a problem that took some unusual techniques to overcome. The scripting of the A.T.O. system also threw up many obstacles that were only overcome after many iterations.
Cowcaddens_3.jpg

What elements of the route are you the most pleased with? What are you most looking forward to seeing the players getting to grips with?​

I’m really happy with the look of the passenger interior as I think I’ve managed to capture the cramped feel of the trains. I’ve set up the passenger views as part of an “extended driver cabin” – the same method used for the Class 350 on WCML Trent Valley. The trains also feature an audio system that allows you to announce each stop using the cabin PA button. I’m really looking forward to seeing how players cope with the different driving modes. My main hope is that others can experience the same fascination that I have for this wonderful little underground railway.
Glasgow_ann_4.jpg

Thanks Alan, we are all looking forward to the release. Finally: if you could go back to any time or place and ride on a particular train or just watch it go past, where and when would you go?​

That’s an easy one, I’d love to go back to 1971 and walk to Arkleston Road bridge outside Paisley and watch the trains with my father again. He has been the inspiration to all of my railway projects. That is where and when it all started for me.
Stay up to date with Thomson Interactive's Glasgow Subway and everything Train Simulator Classic by following @railsimulator on @railsimulator on Twitter and Facebook.

-Peter

365 Networker