• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Simulator 2021

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Indeed, it's a great way to build the collection further at little extra cost. I always found the 91 quite usable in it's own right as well but the AP pack does take it to another level as you would expect.

My North East England route is available here, although it possibly requires things you don't yet own. The current release includes the ECML from York to Darlington, Durham Coast Line as far as Hartlepool, Tees Valley Line from Bishop Auckland to Middlesbrough and the section on to Nunthorpe. The next version is also in the works and hopefully shouldn't be too far away.

Is that the version that will fully replace your ECML North East route?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Sorry yes, I meant will the next release have the full ECML.

Unfortunately not. I based the decision not to build that section right now purely because it already exists and based on feedback I wanted to add other areas that have never been covered in Train Simulator. Sunderland has always been a constant request, even since the first version was released.

Peter C

Established Member
Also, open to any recommendations for DLC that is currently below a tenner in the sale :)
The North London & Goblin Lines route is really good: https://store.steampowered.com/app/...8135&curator_listid=43437&snr=1_16_16_creator
As are these:
Chatham Main & Medway Valley Lines: https://store.steampowered.com/app/...8135&curator_listid=43437&snr=1_16_16_creator
North Somerset Railway: https://store.steampowered.com/app/...8135&curator_listid=43437&snr=1_16_16_creator
Midland Main Line: https://store.steampowered.com/app/...8135&curator_listid=43437&snr=1_16_16_creator
London-Faversham: https://store.steampowered.com/app/...8135&curator_listid=43437&snr=1_16_16_creator

I hope these are of some interest :)

-Peter

Inversnecky

I did. I've had plenty of practice though, i've been building routes both commercially and free for over 13 years. You've no doubt already driven routes that i've either built, had a hand in building or contributed to in some form.

Once you've had anough of driving scenarios i'd encourage you to have a crack at it yourself. :smile:
Amazing work!

How long roughly does it take to build a route per mile?

Would love to try sometime, even just a couple of small stations and country between them, but likely a project for next Christmas, after I’ve learnt a bit more - a lot more!

What is the policy though, if you want to make a freeware route and a station already exists: can you utilise that, or you have to build your own from scratch?

Darandio

Established Member
How long roughly does it take to build a route per mile?

It really depends on what you are building. As an example, swathes of open countryside are much quicker to build than cityscapes. Commercial wise, in the old days before things such as Google Earth overlays and asset blocks were invented the general rule of thumb was a mile per day. When creating freeware it entirely depends on how much time you have available!

Would love to try sometime, even just a couple of small stations and country between them, but likely a project for next Christmas, after I’ve learnt a bit more - a lot more!

There is a slight learning curve initially but it's fairly straightforward once you get used to it and understand both the quirks and pitfalls. Thankfully these days there are loads of tutorials out there to help with just about any aspect of it.

Feel free to add me on Steam for a chat if you need any help.

What is the policy though, if you want to make a freeware route and a station already exists: can you utilise that, or you have to build your own from scratch?

Do you mean using a station from an existing DLC/route download?

Last edited:

Inversnecky

Do you mean using a station from an existing DLC/route download?

Yes. I'm not entirely sure of the rules here - I think I've seen third parties make scenario packs for DTG DLC and charge for it, which I suppose is quite different from using the actual route creation in your own, even for free.

For the sake of example, suppose I was thinking of making the Inverness to Aberdeen route - there's an Inverness station (indeed the only one afaik), in JT's Kyle Line. Is that something that could be used? (Like 999 out of 1000 people, I don't read all the small print in the EULA, I'm afraid.)

Thanks for the general advice and offer.

Darandio

Established Member
Yes. I'm not entirely sure of the rules here - I think I've seen third parties make scenario packs for DTG DLC and charge for it, which I suppose is quite different from using the actual route creation in your own, even for free.

For the sake of example, suppose I was thinking of making the Inverness to Aberdeen route - there's an Inverness station (indeed the only one afaik), in JT's Kyle Line. Is that something that could be used? (Like 999 out of 1000 people, I don't read all the small print in the EULA, I'm afraid.)

Thanks for the general advice and offer.

Yeah, there are different factors at play.

Taking the Inverness example, as a general rule you could use the station asset in your route and it as freeware but not include the actual asset in your package if that makes sense, just reference the JT route as a requirement. If your route was payware then you would generally need to seek permission from them and some companies such as Thomson (now part of Rivet) normally forbid this in advance as part of the EULA/manual.

The_Train

Established Member
I did. I've had plenty of practice though, i've been building routes both commercially and free for over 13 years. You've no doubt already driven routes that i've either built, had a hand in building or contributed to in some form.

Once you've had anough of driving scenarios i'd encourage you to have a crack at it yourself. :smile:
Ahhh, you're part of those amazing people who produce content on this game. Doesn't matter how long you've been doing it, I'll always be impressed at the level of expertise that goes into the production of routes on this game. The standard of detail on them is staggering so thanks very much for your part in bringing this experience to us :)
Thanks very much Peter - some interesting routes there for me to check out. Definitely want the MML at some point, particularly as there now seems to be a good amount of route extensions available.

Inversnecky

Yeah, there are different factors at play.

Taking the Inverness example, as a general rule you could use the station asset in your route and it as freeware but not include the actual asset in your package if that makes sense, just reference the JT route as a requirement.

Of course I forgot that you can use other routes as a requirment, will have to learn in due course how a new route would access that.

I suppose they wouldn't complain, as it would generate a sale for them they wouldn't otherwise have if you were to make your own.

I think this discussion would benefit from its own thread, so have started one here.

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
Thanks very much Peter - some interesting routes there for me to check out. Definitely want the MML at some point, particularly as there now seems to be a good amount of route extensions available.
You're very welcome. Are you talking about the JustTrains MML and extensions (like this)? If so, they're a different product; I've not got any of them to comment on quality though. Apologies if you meant extensions for the DTG route :)

-Peter

_toommm_

Established Member
You're very welcome. Are you talking about the JustTrains MML and extensions (like this)? If so, they're a different product; I've not got any of them to comment on quality though. Apologies if you meant extensions for the DTG route :)

-Peter

The MML collection by JT is very good. Personally I would recommend replacing the track with the AP one through this patch:

One of the best bits I’d say is Sheffield station, and the southern approach to East Midlands Parkway - the cooling towers are a sight to behold.

Peter C

Established Member
The MML collection by JT is very good. Personally I would recommend replacing the track with the AP one through this patch:

One of the best bits I’d say is Sheffield station, and the southern approach to East Midlands Parkway - the cooling towers are a sight to behold.
From the videos I've seen, it does look to be a really nice collection of routes. I'm also quite the fan of the AP Track EP so it's nice to see it being patched onto other routes. The cooling towers at East Midlands Parkway are quite something aren't they?

-Peter

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Armstrong Powerhouse have updated their class 350 and 444/450 enhancement packs, so they now include fully functional GSM-R. Also, the TMS can now be controlled by the buttons in the cab rather than using the keyboard.

_toommm_

Established Member
Armstrong Powerhouse have updated their class 350 and 444/450 enhancement packs, so they now include fully functional GSM-R. Also, the TMS can now be controlled by the buttons in the cab rather than using the keyboard.

Nice! Taking advantage of the custom coding that made the GSMR work on the 375/377 EP.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
I’ve also just seen this announcement:

The following packs have been updated to feature 'Power Factor':
- Class 31 Enhancement Pack
- Class 37 Locomotive Pack Vol. 1
- Class 37 Locomotive Pack Vol. 2
- Class 50 Locomotive Pack
- Class 86 Enhancement Pack

In addition, the following packs have been updated to feature intelligent pantograph arcing:
- Class 350 Enhancement Pack
- Class 365 Enhancement Pack
- Class 375/377 Enhancement Pack

To obtain these updates, simply re-download from your 'Downloads' area.

Inversnecky

In addition, the following packs have been updated to feature intelligent pantograph arcing:

Thanks for the heads up.

Peter C

Established Member

Oh wow - thanks for sharing these. I'll be re-downloading the packs I've got then! :) Nice to see the 444/450 EPs being update to have the GSM-R; hopefully something we'll see lots more of in the future.

-Peter

Inversnecky

What is a "power factor"?

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
What is a "power factor"?

From AP:

"Any train driver will tell you that especially on older stock, braking and power performance can vary quite noticeably from unit to unit, despite being within the same class. We have simulated this variance by randomly allocating a ‘Brake Factor’ & ‘Power Factor’ every time you drive a unit in the simulator. This factor can reduceor increase performance by a maximum of 8% either way. There is no way of finding out what factor your unit has been allocated except for assessing its ‘feel’ when powering or braking; just like a real driver!"

And now a question:

I’m going to attempt to use TS Tools to edit some of the scenarios that come with the ATS WCML Missing Link as I don’t have all the requirements. When I do have all the requirements, I’m assuming it’s just a case of reinstall the route to overwrite the files I swapped out?

Last edited:

Inversnecky

And now a question:

I’m going to attempt to use TS Tools to edit some of the scenarios that come with the ATS WCML Missing Link as I don’t have all the requirements. When I do have all the requirements, I’m assuming it’s just a case of reinstall the route to overwrite the files I swapped out?
Before you open TS Tools, open TS and go into Build>Scenarios, then select the scenarios you want to change and click Clone, and give them a rename.

Then open TS Tools (always right click and run as admin), run the scenario builder XML, then you can selected your cloned scenarios and edit as required.

Then when you have the DLC for the original, you can just run it without changing anything back.

Thanks for pointers on AP power factor - I’m sure many of their trains already had something like that?

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Before you open TS Tools, open TS and go into Build>Scenarios, then select the scenarios you want to change and click Clone, and give them a rename.

Then open TS Tools (always right click and run as admin), run the scenario builder XML, then you can selected your cloned scenarios and edit as required.

Then when you have the DLC for the original, you can just run it without changing anything back.

Thanks for pointers on AP power factor - I’m sure many of their trains already had something like that?

Brilliant! Thanks very much for the tip, that definitely sounds like the easiest way of doing things.

Bayum

Established Member
From AP:

"Any train driver will tell you that especially on older stock, braking and power performance can vary quite noticeably from unit to unit, despite being within the same class. We have simulated this variance by randomly allocating a ‘Brake Factor’ & ‘Power Factor’ every time you drive a unit in the simulator. This factor can reduceor increase performance by a maximum of 8% either way. There is no way of finding out what factor your unit has been allocated except for assessing its ‘feel’ when powering or braking; just like a real driver!"

And now a question:

I mean, surely that’s not how real life train driving should be?

Inversnecky

Brilliant! Thanks very much for the tip, that definitely sounds like the easiest way of doing things.

Meant to add as well, if it’s just to edit out AI trains etc that you don’t have, you can just load the scenario and when the error message comes up, press F2 and save - has always worked for me.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Meant to add as well, if it’s just to edit out AI trains etc that you don’t have, you can just load the scenario and when the error message comes up, press F2 and save - has always worked for me.

Yep, I’ve been doing that but fancied having a go at TS Tools for those scenarios that feel a bit empty without the AI.

I spent some time last night learning to use TS Tools - what a great bit of kit!

Inversnecky

Yep, I’ve been doing that but fancied having a go at TS Tools for those scenarios that feel a bit empty without the AI.

I spent some time last night learning to use TS Tools - what a great bit of kit!
It’s a lot easier that fiddling around in the scenario editor!

The one thing that bugs me is when you have your mouse on a list and try to scroll down - unlike any other piece of software, if your mouse is above the scroll bar indicator, it will scroll upwards instead.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
It’s a lot easier that fiddling around in the scenario editor!

The one thing that bugs me is when you have your mouse on a list and try to scroll down - unlike any other piece of software, if your mouse is above the scroll bar indicator, it will scroll upwards instead.

Aha is that what that is?! I’ve just ended up dragging the slide bar.

The Armstrong Powerhouse sale is on! Up to 40% off. Just got the Class 37 vol 2 pack for £9.99.

Last edited: