• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Simulator 2021

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I've had a run up from Euston to Rugby. A drop in frame rates was noticeable, particularly in areas such as Wembley, but I didn't find it unplayable. Found it fairly comparable to some of the heavier parts of Just Trains' Midland Main Line. It seems highly detailed, however I can't speak for its accuracy as I'm not familiar with the real route. The Desiro still seems to have that awful brake squeal noise I've never heard one make before though. The Northampton loop is not included.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bussikuski179

Not including Northampton is ridiculous. Almost all Birmingham stoppers go that way. It is only 2 stations, but still. That’s just lazy on DTG’s part.

Peter C

Established Member
I've not bought the WCML South route but from reviews I can see it seems to be absolutely terrible.
However, DTG have said they're working on fixes:
We would like to thank players of Train Simulator 2021 who have taken their time to give us comprehensive feedback about their experiences with the game so far. Suffice to say that this feedback has not made for the easiest of reading, and neither should it.

The performance of West Coast Main Line falls a long way short of what you should expect and what we intend to deliver. As such we are working on multiple updates to this route to address the criticism it has received. Following investigation overnight we have determined that the current low frame rates experienced by many, if not all, players comes as a result of a couple of areas we have identified in the rolling stock. To that end we will make a priority update in the short term that improves frame rate performance. This should improve frame rates on the WCML South for all players.

Supplemental updates will address scenery and other areas that have been observed and reported. To ensure we are tackling as much as possible, and if you would like to help, any further problems you can identify would be appreciated.

The first update is being worked on now, and we are targeting within the next week to 10 days. We will follow up on this thread throughout next week to ensure you are kept up to date.

We are postponing the stream on Saturday as we do not feel it is appropriate to promote the game while one of its headline components falls short of both your and our expectations.

We want to take this opportunity to apologise to players who feel let down by this release. We are reviewing our handling of new releases in light of these problems to ensure this situation is not repeated.

This is the first time I can think of DTG doing something like this (I'm happy to be corrected) but it is sadly not the first time they've released a sub-par route.

-Peter

Darandio

Established Member
This is the first time I can think of DTG doing something like this (I'm happy to be corrected) but it is sadly not the first time they've released a sub-par route.

Happened with Donner Pass many years ago.

Manclion

How did that get released in the current state?
The one (and only scenario with the pendolino from Euston) starts in the fog with wires going through the concrete bridge with a garden and missing walls plus ramps going nowhere!
It's really laughable.
Then the train clipping a wall at Berkhampstead takes the biscuits.
Avoid at all costs!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I had a quick drive from Birmingham N St to Birmingham International on a 221 on Thursday evening.
Then drove a Pendolino from International to Rugby on Saturday evening, before continuing the same train from Rugby to Watford Junction on Sunday evening, then Watford to London Euston yesterday afternoon.

At first I felt rather disappointed leaving Birmingham as I felt the quality of the Station graphics/scenery leaving Birmingham wasn't quite as good as I hoped. The game also seemed to lag a bit.

South of Birmingham International a bit better. Leaving Rugby heading towards Euston I thought it was actually reasonably good. I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the game was through Wembley and into London.

There are definitely some areas which need improvement. £24.99 a rip off for what you get at the moment. I'd maybe pay £10-£15 max. Even if the route only included Rugby to London Euston and it was up to a high level of detail, I'd be happy to pay around the £15-£20 for it. (Possibly more £20 if it had also included Northampton)

Does anyone know if they've fixed the issue with the doors which was present in the previous Class 378? The animation and sounds were out of sync, which kind of ruined it for me.

Iskra

Established Member
Just Trains have announced they are doing the Highland Mainline Route- I’ve been hoping for that route in a sim for a long time!

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Just Trains have announced they are doing the Highland Mainline Route- I’ve been hoping for that route in a sim for a long time!
It sounds like it will come in two forms - a standalone version, or in the form of an extension pack to the existing Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh route.

Highland Main Line

Highland Main Line

Highland Main Line

Highland Main Line

Highland Main Line

The Highland Main Line is circa 118 miles in length and runs from Inverness in the North down to Perth in the South.

Highland Main Line will be available as a 'stand-alone' route for Train Simulator 2021 and also as an extension for the Just Trains Kyle Line - Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh route.

dave87016

Established Member
I have downloaded 3 or 4 scenarios from the Alanthomson website and the author of those was jon180 however on these and only these scenarios by jon180 I seem to be missing the rear 2 or 3 coaches plus the rear PC can anyone provide any solutions please ? One of the headcode is 1L20 Swansea -Paddington

Established Member
I have downloaded 3 or 4 scenarios from the Alanthomson website and the author of those was jon180 however on these and only these scenarios by jon180 I seem to be missing the rear 2 or 3 coaches plus the rear PC can anyone provide any solutions please ? One of the headcode is 1L20 Swansea -Paddington
Sounds like you are missing requirements for the scenarios. On the one you mention you are missing these which you can download from Alan Thompson (i just copied this from the description):
ATS
*Class 43 Improvement Patch*
*HST: GWR ‘Sticker Express’*
*HST: GWR ‘Welshman’*
*MK3 TC & TRSMB Pack*

dave87016

Established Member
Sounds like you are missing requirements for the scenarios. On the one you mention you are missing these which you can download from Alan Thompson (i just copied this from the description):
ATS
*Class 43 Improvement Patch*
*HST: GWR ‘Sticker Express’*
*HST: GWR ‘Welshman’*
*MK3 TC & TRSMB Pack*

Thanks kindly for your reply

The hst improvement patch is displayed in the AT website but it is no longer available ( it says so on the comment section on it ) and I’ve tried downloading it but it won’t complete due to the hst improvement patch no longer being available can you offer any further assistance

Trackman

Established Member
I had a quick drive from Birmingham N St to Birmingham International on a 221 on Thursday evening.
Then drove a Pendolino from International to Rugby on Saturday evening, before continuing the same train from Rugby to Watford Junction on Sunday evening, then Watford to London Euston yesterday afternoon.

At first I felt rather disappointed leaving Birmingham as I felt the quality of the Station graphics/scenery leaving Birmingham wasn't quite as good as I hoped. The game also seemed to lag a bit.

South of Birmingham International a bit better. Leaving Rugby heading towards Euston I thought it was actually reasonably good. I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the game was through Wembley and into London.

There are definitely some areas which need improvement. £24.99 a rip off for what you get at the moment. I'd maybe pay £10-£15 max. Even if the route only included Rugby to London Euston and it was up to a high level of detail, I'd be happy to pay around the £15-£20 for it. (Possibly more £20 if it had also included Northampton)
An update came out for it yesterday, does it run better now?

365 Networker

Reading the descriptions they look about the same to me.

There is actually another HST pack on ATS which I didn't know about, the download link works properly.

malc-c

Reading the posts above, it does seem a bit deja-vu... It seems that every launch is hyped and then when released to the masses it turns into a major bug testing exercises rather than production release. Give the developers their due, they are often quick to post out a patch, but by then the damage has been done. The one thing that I find strange is the amount of hardware is required to run TS. My machine is a first gen Ryzen 1500x (4 core 8 threads CPU running at 4.5GHz), with 16GB of DDR4 ram and a Gigabyte OC RX550 graphics card, yet even on medium settings the frame rates in TS2020 (64bit) often drop into single digits... yet I can edit and scrub through 4K video from the camcorder in real time, and render the footage without the machine breaking into a sweat. I could understand it if TS2021 was up to the same standard as the new release of MS Flight Simulator which is so real, but the graphics in TS are still somewhat clunky in comparison.

It would be interesting to see the specs of the PCs you guys are running TS2021 on and still getting dropped frames or low frame rates.

Established Member
There is actually another HST pack on ATS which I didn't know about, the download link works properly.
That's the one I was looking at and comparing to the one on Major Wales Design.

_toommm_

Established Member
I play it on my MacBook Pro (I know it’s not designed for gaming at all but that’s my main PC) and normally get 30fps and on medium details on 1080p. WCML South gives me 15 if I’m lucky. Probably doesn’t help that Windows doesn’t take full advantage of the hardware on my MacBook, and that TS20xx isn’t optimised at all...

greatvoyager

Established Member
Ah OK - I'd heard of the route but not DTG improving it following release. Thanks :)

-Peter
The first update has been released, which has made an improvement (at least for me it has). When I first purchased it, I couldn't play it because it was so slow, but now it's better.

dave87016

Established Member
That's the one I was looking at and comparing to the one on Major Wales Design.

Thanks guys but the AT HST improvement link downloads but won’t extract as it’s broken ( see comments section under the description of said pack on AT website )

The Major Wales revamp pack installed but doesn’t solve the problem I believe the problem to be the MK3 TC & TRSMB Pack which I require from AT but as I said I can’t get it for the reason stated above is there anywhere else I can get that missing requirement ?

Established Member
Thanks guys but the AT HST improvement link downloads but won’t extract as it’s broken ( see comments section under the description of said pack on AT website )

The Major Wales revamp pack installed but doesn’t solve the problem I believe the problem to be the MK3 TC & TRSMB Pack which I require from AT but as I said I can’t get it for the reason stated above is there anywhere else I can get that missing requirement ?
I'm not to sure to be honest. Another option is to swap the coaches/power car out for one that you have. This can be done through a program called RW/TS tools. http://www.agenetools.com/downloads.html

Flange Squeal

Established Member
There's currently a Halloween sale on on Steam, with some minor and some more significant reductions of around 50%. The Glasgow Suburban route, I believe previously part of a now withdrawn freeware project, has also been released.

Darandio

Established Member
I would rather trust ESET than have to spend ages cleaning the computer from malware or worse... They don't blacklist sites for no reason

That's of course your choice but they do indeed blacklist sites for no reason, false positives occur everywhere. In this case it's probably because of the site still being http which could of course be a worry if you were adding personal or financial details, you need to do neither.

The guy has produced free software for train simulation users for over two decades, thousands of people use it. The guy is a pensioner, neither him, his site or his content is malicious.

Run the site address through here: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/url

I'll let you guess which is the only virus detection service claiming it's unsafe.

malc-c

Not that I don't believe you, and it wouldn't be a first time a fall positive is triggered, but other than disabling my ESET AV products there is no choice.... However, I run a few virtual machines so used one of those... that way is the false positive is not true (?) it's only the virtual PC that is screwed :) - Downloading TS Tools now :)