• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train slowed to 20mph due to broken horn handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotraildriver

Established Member
To flip this on it's head, what would be the procedure if the horn handle jammed and was sounding one tone continuously? I have read further up the thread about it being possible to isolate the horn valve, but would a train be able to continue at line speed in this situation or would the 20mph rule apply?

The horn would have to be isolated and 20mph implemented as a continuous horn indicates "train in distress."

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
To flip this on it's head, what would be the procedure if the horn handle jammed and was sounding one tone continuously? I have read further up the thread about it being possible to isolate the horn valve, but would a train be able to continue at line speed in this situation or would the 20mph rule apply?

This happened to a train I was on quite recently.

Fortunately, there was a handy triangular junction nearby, so they were able to isolate the horn, turn the train around and lead with the other end which had a working horn.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Thank you to all who replied, it's most informative.

I had imagined you would need to report things like the horn immediately, particularly as it would have ramifications for other trains following etc not just the driver and those potentially on the line.

Sorry A-driver, I stand corrected. Though I thought I once saw a physical phone handset in a cab? Is this just a more comfortable means of using it? I mean built into the train, not the drivers mobile. There's no guarantee at all the place I saw it was in the UK, but for some reason I have the picture in my head.

Final question which is idle curiosity; is there a high vs low tone requirement? I ask purely because my parents house where I am writing this is close to the WCML with no normal whistle board. Today all passing are using one low tone blast (assuming track workers, nothing normally there). Do you have to use the tones in a particular order?

ComUtoR

Established Member
Final question which is idle curiosity; is there a high vs low tone requirement? I ask purely because my parents house where I am writing this is close to the WCML with no normal whistle board. Today all passing are using one low tone blast (assuming track workers, nothing normally there). Do you have to use the tones in a particular order?

Whistle boards are low tone, Track workers are both tones. I haven't read anything about any specific order just that both are required.

There are specific requirements when each tone is required as well as it being a short blast or a long blast.

On one of the units I drive there is also a Depot Whistle :)

TDK

Established Member
Not sure who came up with it, but I believe we've taken to putting a "muffler" of sorts over the horns on our units to reduce the chance of snow and ice accumulation during the winter. This being after a particularly harsh winter where the fitters were almost spending more time deicing horns than rectifying mechanical faults.

Many units have a stocking on the front of the horns, these can be a problem when there is snow. There are also many units now where the horns are reversed, facing rearward and this solves many problems.

455driver

Veteran Member
Happened to me a couple of years ago, blew the horn for a whistle board and lever came off in my hand! :oops: Proceeded at 20mph till the train was terminated early 50 minutes late!

Bloody vandal!<D
Some people will do anything to get out of the last Exeter! ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thank you to all who replied, it's most informative.

I had imagined you would need to report things like the horn immediately, particularly as it would have ramifications for other trains following etc not just the driver and those potentially on the line.

Sorry A-driver, I stand corrected. Though I thought I once saw a physical phone handset in a cab? Is this just a more comfortable means of using it? I mean built into the train, not the drivers mobile. There's no guarantee at all the place I saw it was in the UK, but for some reason I have the picture in my head.

The GSM-R radio handset looks like an old style phone, as does the internal (cab to cab/PA) and the NRN radio handsets, they are just that shape for convenience.

Normal convention is to sound the high tone first but a lot of trains have the handle connected up wrong so what is marked as high tone is actually the low tone and vice versa.

Last edited:

SouthStand

"Today three trackworkers were killed and another two injured when they were hit by an express train travelling from Halifax. Early reports indicate that the men had only seconds to get out of the way of the train which was travelling at approximately 60mph with a non-functional horn."

This is a story I *never* want to read.

Words you're never likely to see :D

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Words you're never likely to see :D

Never underestimate the ability of mainstream journalists to play fast and loose with the facts... Remember the stories of how the driver of the Pendolino at Grayrigg "steered" to avoid the derailment being much worse...?

NB. Please note this is not an attempt to "do down" that driver, who obviously did perform commendably, and exactly as is required in the situation. He didn't do any steering though!

TUC

Established Member
"Today three trackworkers were killed and another two injured when they were hit by an express train travelling from Halifax. Early reports indicate that the men had only seconds to get out of the way of the train which was travelling at approximately 60mph with a non-functional horn."

This is a story I *never* want to read.
But the OP wasn't saying the action wasn't justified. They were only asking if it had happened before. The defensive attitude in some of these responses to a neutral OP is noticeable.

A-driver

Established Member
But the OP wasn't saying the action wasn't justified. They were only asking if it had happened before. The defensive attitude in some of these responses to a neutral OP is noticeable.

No it isn't. No one has had a go at the OP, people, including the poster you quoted, have just explained the reasons for the speed restrictions.

455driver

Veteran Member
The defensive attitude in some of these responses to a neutral OP is noticeable.

Is it?
Can you point to who has 'had a go' at the OP because all I can see are polite answers and examples of why the rule is there!

najaB

Veteran Member
I definitely wasn't having a go at anyone - I was just illustrating why the rule is in place. I believe the OP interpreted my post in the way I intended, if not then I apologise for any distress caused.

Status
Not open for further replies.