• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Spotting Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoublyEpic

Hello All,

I am very new to this forum and i was wondering if someone could help me. I am looking for some really good places to do train spotting. I have been to Nuneaton and Tamworth but that's really it. I Live in Leicester and am looking for somewhere that is kinda cheap to get to. I am looking for freight mainly but also some new units.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harbornite

Established Member
If you want units, I recommend Birmingham. Spend a few hours at New Street and Moor Street.

I also recommend Shrewsbury, Leamington Spa, Worcester Shrub Hill, Hereford, Reading, Eastleigh and Edinburgh Waverley, although it goes without saying that some of these places are quite far from Leicester!

Strathclyder

Established Member
In the west of Scotland (if money/distance wasn't a issue for you), I'd personally recommend Glasgow Central (for the wide selection of passenger traction), Partick/Hyndland (for the intensive frequency through both stations), Motherwell & Coatbridge Central (being a hub for freight activity, if that's what you're after), among others.

Bevan Price

Established Member
At Leicester, you will probably have seen (or soon see) many East Midland & Cross Country units, and you will need to go out of your area to see units operated by other TOCs.

So, I would agree with Birmingham New St & Moor St. as worth visiting to see units. For freight, Water Orton is a better option, but beware of the infrequent train service.

Nottingham or Derby are also worth a visit, but to see units from the Northern TOC, you would need to visit places like Sheffield, Leeds or Manchester. If you can afford, Doncaster is a good places for freight & East Coast main line passenger services. Peterborough is also worth some visits.

When, hopefully, you can afford to travel further, you will need to visit the London termin, Scotland (Glasgow & Edinburgh) & Wales (Cardiff) if you want to see units operating in those areas.

Harbornite

Established Member
Peterborough - as a suggestion??

At Leicester, you will probably have seen (or soon see) many East Midland & Cross Country units, and you will need to go out of your area to see units operated by other TOCs.

So, I would agree with Birmingham New St & Moor St. as worth visiting to see units. For freight, Water Orton is a better option, but beware of the infrequent train service.

Nottingham or Derby are also worth a visit, but to see units from the Northern TOC, you would need to visit places like Sheffield, Leeds or Manchester. If you can afford, Doncaster is a good places for freight & East Coast main line passenger services. Peterborough is also worth some visits.

When, hopefully, you can afford to travel further, you will need to visit the London termin, Scotland (Glasgow & Edinburgh) & Wales (Cardiff) if you want to see units operating in those areas.

Some good suggestions there. Personally I prefer Tamworth (which Op mentioned) to water Orton; it goes without saying that you'll miss freight coming from the Nuneaton line, but Tamworth is one of the best spots in the West midlands for freight thanks to its two levels.

Last edited:

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Birmingham New Street, Crewe, Leeds, York, Manchester Piccadilly, Kensington Olympia, Clapham Junction, London Bridge to name but a few...

All very good locations if your after sheer numbers as well as variety.

DoublyEpic

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I will defiantly be having a look at Birmingham and maybe other places as well. Thank you.

Owen

NSE

Established Member
If you can find a cheap advance or offer to get to London, I'd recommend that. Especially if you could hotel it one night. With a Travel Card you could spend an Hour or so at any of Clapham Junction, Stratford, Finsbury Park, East Croydon and all the termini to name but a few. All these stations have units in abundance with relatively good vantage points. And, even if some are very short hops (Like Waterloo to Clapham Junction), you can travel on virtually all units within London on a travel card if you like too.

E_Reeves

Established Member
Depends on whether you need freight/passenger or both...

I quite like Rugby. You've got the Thunderbird in the siding sometimes and the odd 92. You've got Colas Rail nearby and the usual WCML stuff including services going to Birmingham, which you wouldn't get in Nuneaton. This would be good for freight.

For passenger, I quite like Reading. There is a constant flow of traffic and it can also be very good freight as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.