• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatboy

Established Member
I notice more and more signage directing you to the 'Train Station' instead of the 'Railway Station'.

The latest are in Bath - formal blue signage with BR logo directing you to the 'Train Station'.

When did the 'Railway Station' become the 'Train Station'?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
No offense, but like the datum plate, this topic has been done to death.

EM2

Established Member
When did 'the station' become 'the railway station'?
I'd be willing to lay decent money that almost all roads called Station Road (or a variant thereof) are so named because of a railway station.

6Gman

Established Member
I notice more and more signage directing you to the 'Train Station' instead of the 'Railway Station'.

The latest are in Bath - formal blue signage with BR logo directing you to the 'Train Station'.

I saw a graph which plotted the use of "railway station" and "train station" in the press.

If I recall correctly, up until c.2000 it was something like 95% RS v 5% TS.

Then one line turned upward and the other downward until it was about 50-50 by c.2012.

FWIW I'm very firmly of the view that RS is the correct British English form and that TS is American (and Australian?) usage. I assume that ever-increasing American influence in the media (films, TV, on-line) has driven the change. There also seems to be an age difference: over-60s use RS, under-40s use TS.

Goatboy

Established Member
I'd seen it used in the media lots for ages but I thought official council installed signage might remain safe..

HowardGWR

Established Member
No offense, but like the datum plate, this topic has been done to death.

For someone with a GB monniker, well, see the bold above!!

That is yank for 'offence' and so is 'train station'.

We English go to a railway station, buy a railway ticket and get on a railway train, which travels on a railway line.:D

L&Y Robert

We English go to a railway station, buy a railway ticket and get on a railway train, which travels on a railway line.:D

And the "Bus Station"? Should be the - er - Roadway Station?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

Or even, "moniker". ;)

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Out of interest does any internal TFL correspondence/publicity refer to Underground stations as train stations since US railway terms are commonly used on the Underground?

Phil.

Established Member

It's rather like asking, "when did signing become signage"?

I rather like this one that's here in Pz. Short and to the point - if not 22 years late.

Attachments

• 1476982727618.jpg
    1476982727618.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 95

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Whilst on the subject of railway terminologies-does any rail system other than Japans refer to ticket gatelines as wickets? -much to my cricketing amusement on recent trip. Incidently their 'wickets' are always open and only spring shut if you try and walk through and your Suica/Pasmo card hasn't been read properly- leading to an inadvertent 'googly' if you are unlucky and a gentleman of western height!

Master29

Established Member
Makes sense when you bear in mind most towns will have a bus station as well and not always anywhere near the train station.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Technically Train Station is wrong in US English too, the term being railroad station.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
True, I meant more the direct equivalent really if Railway Station, but yes depot and terminal are pretty common, Grand Central Terminal immediately springs to mind.

6Gman

Established Member

No.

I'll try to explain.

Railway station was coined in the 19th Century and was pretty well universally used in the UK until the 1970s, and generally used until at least the mid 1990s because it was the location (station) at which you accessed the services of the railway company. Not just to catch a (passenger) train, but to despatch (or collect) a parcel, or items of freight [bearing in mind that in those common carrier days freight wasn't something despatched by huge companies but by local traders and even private individuals].

Bus stations - which, I believe, were virtually unknown before the 1920s - were the locations where you accessed the services of the bus company. Principally as a passenger, but in some cases to despatch/ collect parcels.

Railway station - railway company.
Bus station - bus company.

It is an error to try to force the word station into a set of rules or analogy.

If train station is correct because it's where you catch a train, or bus station where you catch a bus, please explain fire station, petrol station, or space station.

:D

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It's rather like asking, "when did signing become signage"?

I rather like this one that's here in Pz. Short and to the point - if not 22 years late.

There are still signs to the heliport in the Penzance area. Would confuse the shoppers in Sainsburys if a helicopter came whirring in to its old location!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No.

If train station is correct because it's where you catch a train, or bus station where you catch a bus, please explain fire station, petrol station, or space station.

:D

Ambulance station seems to be getting replaced by ambulance depot.

Mordac

Established Member
I wish people would get off their prescriptivist high horse and realize language evolves. Both phrases are perfectly fine, as long as the receiver of the message can understand the meaning behind the statement. I'll hazard a guess that that is true of 100% of the people complaining about it.

herschell

I use the term "railway station" particularly when Googling a station for information about it but I'm also quite happy with the term "train station" though I'll use the former more myself and when telling someone I'm going there.

randyrippley

Established Member
Buses stop at at BUS station
Police (and their cars) stop at a POLICE station
Fire Engines stop at a FIRE station
Ambulances stop at an AMBULANCE station
So where do trains stop? Logically at a TRAIN station.

Railways don't stop at stations, they carry on. Except at terminii, but they're called terminii.

Phil.

Established Member
I wish people would get off their prescriptivist high horse and realize language evolves. Both phrases are perfectly fine, as long as the receiver of the message can understand the meaning behind the statement. I'll hazard a guess that that is true of 100% of the people complaining about it.

Yes it does evolve but currently the English language is evolving into a series of adverbs and portmanteau words which fail to address the scope of the communication.
A fine example is the now universal "take".
We used to have thoughts, ideas, interpretations, versions. Now we just have takes.
We used to use the word "about" as in, "it was about three hundred". Now it's, "it was like three hundred". "I was like walking down the road to..." was one I heard on the number 2 bus to Helston on Thursday. In fact, if I had been given a pound for every time that the teen couple used the word "like" I'd have had enough money for a decent night out.
Anyway, it's still railway station.:)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

"Omnibus Station", perchance?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

However, in certain hospitals, there are "Nurses Station" clearly marked as such.

Last edited:

takno

Established Member

Increasingly that's how they work. A lot of times the ambulances will spend their shifts strategically scattered around the covered area to minimize response times, and only return to the depot for shift changes etc.

6Gman

Established Member
Buses stop at at BUS station
Police (and their cars) stop at a POLICE station
Fire Engines stop at a FIRE station
Ambulances stop at an AMBULANCE station
So where do trains stop? Logically at a TRAIN station.

Railways don't stop at stations, they carry on. Except at terminii, but they're called terminii.

I refer the Hon Member to my explanation above.

Historically the railway station was about more than catching trains.

Incidentally, but possibly irrelevantly, I note that the use of train station has coincided with the move toward 'Train Operating Companies' rather than the previous British Rail / British Railways / Railway Companies.

GB

Established Member
I refer the Hon Member to my explanation above.

Historically the railway station was about more than catching trains.

Incidentally, but possibly irrelevantly, I note that the use of train station has coincided with the move toward 'Train Operating Companies' rather than the previous British Rail / British Railways / Railway Companies.

Historically maybe...but we no longer live in such historical times so I fail to see why "Train Station" should not be excepted as an alternative.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

No I'm quite happy to stay on my "high horse" to defend against the constant dumbing-down and Americanisation of my language. Its "railway station" - end of.

Last edited:

Mordac

Established Member
No I'm quite happy to stay on my "high horse" to defend against the constant dumbing-down and Americanisation of my language. Its "railway station" - end of.

I don't see how train station is an Americanism, and regardless of that, the UK does not own the English language. Nor do I see how saying "train station" rather than "railway station" is dumber--except in the very narrow sense that it allows pedants on the internet to feel a sense of superiority over anyone who uses it, despite its meaning being perfectly clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.