• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Train Station'

Status
Not open for further replies.

richa2002

Established Member
Am I the only one here who hates the phrase 'Train Station'. Can't really say why, just some horrible Americanism. I find using 'Railway Station' commands more respect to the railway as a whole.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
i have to agree with you there!! at shool its know as the station! and the bus station known as chav land!! altought eh chavs dont like that!

Coxster

Established Member
I just call it 'the station' or 'the railway station' - depends what I'm feeling like.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No you are most certaintly not, I always refer to it as Railway Station, or as there's more than one round here; Temple Meads, Parkway, etc.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Depends on the sort of person I'm talking to. If I know they won't understand 'railway station' (I especially like to say that if I'm in a suit), which happens a lot unbelieveably, I end up repeating it, but changing it to 'train station'. I hate doing it, but they know what I mean then.

For some reason, I hate the word 'train' as well. I always associate the word with training, as in a workout in a gym or preparing/learning roles at work. Don't know what I'd prefer to call it, but I'd guarentee whatever I'd start calling it the rest of the forum/MSN contacts would catch onto it and use it as soon as I stop using it...

richa2002

Established Member
FGWFan said:
Depends on the sort of person I'm talking to. If I know they won't understand 'railway station' (I especially like to say that if I'm in a suit), which happens a lot unbelieveably, I end up repeating it, but changing it to 'train station'. I hate doing it, but they know what I mean then.

For some reason, I hate the word 'train' as well. I always associate the word with training, as in a workout in a gym or preparing/learning roles at work. Don't know what I'd prefer to call it, but I'd guarentee whatever I'd start calling it the rest of the forum/MSN contacts would catch onto it and use it as soon as I stop using it...
I can't believe anyone would not understand what a railway station was ?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Though, then again, the concept of decent methods transportation such as "trains" are unknown amongst the people of Bristol, so it's rare I talk about Railway Stations with anyone other than my family :P

Coxster

Established Member
FGWFan said:
I don't think anyone would latch on to calling trains something else such as 'penilopies' or something whether you use the term or not... ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
lol, my nickname of VVV for Voyagers only got used by anyone after I stopped using it. Same for other nicknames I've derived.

Richard Armstrong, you've not dealt with some of the bus and taxi drivers I have. 'Can you take me to the railway station please?' 'What?' 'Can you take me to the train station' 'Oh, yeah, sure thing' for taxis, for buses it's more like 'Single to the railway station please' 'Where?' 'The train station' 'Yeah, sure, £1.55 please'.

Say 'railway station' and suddenly it was as if you were in a different world or a middle-class gentleman. Use the term 'train station' and the working class recognises what you mean. :roll:

TAS

i prefer to call it by it's name : Colchester North Station, Colchester Town Station, Wivenhoe station and so on. (The bus drivers understand you then!)

Jordy

Established Member
Well I mainly use 'Town Station' and so does anyone else in Grimsby (Because the station is Grimsby Town, if they were going from Grimsby Docks Station, the would use 'Docks Station'). Elsewhere, mainly 'The Station' or 'Donny Station' 'Piccadilly Station' or something. In London, simply 'Kings Cross' or 'Euston' though!!!

Jordy

steve158

same thing here, with foregate and shrub hill stations. and up the road in stourbridge, the town and the junction.

(when i lived nearby i also called GMB town station as well btw)

i think station is more appropriate for a rail station as there aren't many bus stations around now..

T

Tom

Sometimes I just say "Interchange please" if I'm in Bournemouth.

Why? The area where the station is called, is quite simply called the Travel Interchange. Nice and simple. If I'm anywhere else, it's normally the station name.

richa2002

Established Member
Yeah I'd usually say, "I'm going to the station." Let's say I was talking about a station I wasn't familiar with like Dunbar. I would say Dunbar Railway Station & not Dunbar Train Station.

ChrisM

Train station for me.
If i'm in a cab i say 'interchange' or they try and take you to Pokesdown,which is not recommended unless you are a pleb. :)

T

Tom

ChrisM said:
Train station for me.
If i'm in a cab i say 'interchange' or they try and take you to Pokesdown,which is not recommended unless you are a pleb. :)

Too right!! :lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Richard Armstrong said:
:lol: Some people really are dumb in this country!

You're telling me! I put up with this sort of person all the time as well! To think I want to go into a job that deals with them at a business level every day...Some of them you just want to shoot!

Nick W

Established Member
Hmm train station implies there are trains there so most railway stations are not train stations all the time.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Saying that about Guard/Conductor though, I've always known Guards as the ones who just sit in the Guards' Van and do announcements, safety critical roles, etc., but conductors who do the roles of a guard, but clip/sell tickets as well.

And to me, when I was round someone's house a few months ago, being offered "Tea," was surprised to see a plate of steaming Shepherds' Pie being brought toward me :p

Tom B

Established Member
My god! Are guards on the railway these days actually trained to do safety critical things? I don't know why anyone would want that, after all it detracts them from "customer care" duties, which we know *must* take priority...

steve158

a conductor is what they used to have on the buses.

you have a driver, a guard, sometimes a ticket inspector and on the inter cities a steward.

Ben

According to TPE Its Railway Station I Agree!

Also According to TPE its Conductor!

Ben

steve158 said:
well they call us senior conductors but it's guards really, you're still looking after the passengers.
Out of Intrest which TOC do you Work for?

Sprog

Established Member
steve158 said:
a conductor is what they used to have on the buses.

you have a driver, a guard, sometimes a ticket inspector and on the inter cities a steward.

Dont forget Train Manager!!!!!! and im sure ive heard Train Captain used before somwhere :| *strokes chin*

Status
Not open for further replies.