• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Train Station"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJamesBrown

I prefer "Underground Station" - which does , after all, describe it better than "tube station" - but tube station doesn't annoy me as much as "***** station". It's a matter of common usage.

If you cut a potato into rectangular strips and fry them in batter are they "chips" or "fries"?

Surely potato dipped in batter and then fried, would be called a fritter??

If only posts on here had a like button...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Oh please. In the 1930s the words seafood, OK and commuter were all Americanisms. Or are we not meant to use those either?

I believe the word 'commuter' was invented by the Liverpool and Manchester Railway way back in the 1830s.

transmanche

Established Member
The term "Tube" has been around a very long time - from when the first Tube lines were opened in fact - and can refer to either the trains or the system itself; not only that it is a British term.
Although what is now known as PATH (between New York and New Jersey) started out life as the 'Hudson Tubes'.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So you hate the term train station but are quite happy to use 'My bad'. :roll:

That annoys me too. <(

Bad is an adjective, so the sentence is incomplete.

Just what is it that's bad anyway, their manners, their teeth, their language, their luck?

Maybe best to just assume everything is bad...

cle

Established Member
I know Railway Station is proper, but it also feels a bit cumbersome.

So I use 'train station' if speaking - I think people might use 'railway' in written English, signage etc... but collquially would say train station.

If someone asked me for directions to 'the railway station' I'd think it was a little odd.

Oswyntail

Established Member
I'm not aware of the word "yoof". Elaborate.
Chambers dictionary defines it:
yoof ;) usu )
n youth, young people.
adj (esp of magazines, TV or radio programmes, etc) relating to, specifically aimed at, pandering to, or dealing with topics (thought to be) of interest to modern youth.
[youth, with f substituted for th as in certain forms of London speech]"

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
But you're happy to use Internet acronyms frequently (iirc and so on). How is that any different to train station over railway station?
Ahem...
And while we're at it, may I be permitted to have a mild rant against "different...to"? Thanks, I feel better now.
from fero fere tuli latus to bear away, so it needs a 'from' not a 'to'.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What constitutes 'proper use' though? Many Victorians would probably have been abhorred by abbreviations like 'imo' (which is modern day txt spk).

'Abhor' is an active verb, not a passive, thus 'Many Victorians would probably have abhorred abbreviations like 'imo'...

And yes, I am a boring old f*rt. :)

Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
'Abhor' is an active verb, not a passive, thus 'Many Victorians would probably have abhorred abbreviations like 'imo'...

Interesting, I suppose it depends on the context. Google finds "Israel hath been abhorred by the Philistines" in the Bible, which is fine as it's clear who is doing the abhorring.

However, my point would be that if enough people use 'abhor' as a passive verb on a regular basis (I have seen it used like that in quite a few newspaper articles), it will become legitimate usage. English is at the mercy of its users.

Last edited:

LE Greys

Established Member
What constitutes 'proper use' though? Many Victorians would probably have been abhorred by abbreviations like 'imo' (which is modern day txt spk).

Which is interesting, considering they invented them to make use of the electric telegraph easier.

transmanche

Established Member
So is "West Hampstead Thameslink". But getting riled up about "train station" versus "railway station" is severely pedantic!
But this forum (like many others) would be nothing without pedantry! :D

exile

Established Member
A station is somewhere where a normally moving thing stands still. A bus station is where a bus stands still - a station of the cross is where Jesus's cross stood still - a train station is where a train stands still.

Who says "aerodrome" nowadays? This was the original british term, not airport.

LE Greys

Established Member

Old pilots, and me (but only when talking about older sites). In order of increasing size, it's generally airstrip, airfield, airport.

WestCoast

Established Member
Which is interesting, considering they invented them to make use of the electric telegraph easier.

Many people in modern day Britain say 'train station' and use 'txt spk' without a care in the world, doesn't stop pedants moaning about it. That sort of objection has existed in every society.

What about "rail station"? Any objections to that?

Last edited:

PinzaC55

Many people in modern day Britain say 'train station' and use 'txt spk' without a care in the world, doesn't stop pedants moaning about it. That sort of objection has existed in every society.

What about "rail station"? Any objections to that?

Yes, I do object to "text speak" as I also object to use of the words "like" and "Facebook", "Twitter" and "X Factor". As for "pedant" if having an opinion is "pedantic" then I will hold my hands up and admit my guilt.
You also have an opinion , as you have posted 5 times in one day in this thread alone. Either that or you have nothing else to do.

I try to use "railway station" as often as I can.

Thankfully it's policy on Wikipedia to term all British stations as "railway station"s so that should help.. ;)

Domeyhead

Stephen Fry has some marvellous thoughts on text speak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CHAryVVXSo

(From about 2:00 in, but watch the whole thing for an awesome bit of television)

"Stephen Fry" is not an anagram for "verbose fat bombast".....but it ought to be, though as fatso would point out himself that is a tautology not an anagram and so on etc etc. Julie Burchill described him as an unintelligent man's idea of an intelligent man, which is probably the only quotable line she has produced in her career.
By the way, "train station" is a term coined by management consultants somewhere as one of the endless rebranding exercises to "revitalise the product" so our tickets paid for it indirectly and that is what I object to (or "It is that to which I object", as the tweed-clad Pooter would no doubt point out.)

starrymarkb

Established Member
A station is somewhere where a normally moving thing stands still. A bus station is where a bus stands still - a station of the cross is where Jesus's cross stood still - a train station is where a train stands still.

The CAA do

Bungle73

On Moderation
An airport and an aerodrome are different things. "Aerodrome" is just another word for airfield. An airport is much bigger.

By the way, "train station" is a term coined by management consultants somewhere as one of the endless rebranding exercises to "revitalise the product" so our tickets paid for it indirectly and that is what I object to (or "It is that to which I object", as the tweed-clad Pooter would no doubt point out.)
Are you sure about that? :?

Surely it's just something that's come over here from elsewhere, or just people being lazy?

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Another phrase/word that I can't stand being used out of conext is "Cool".

Lawman

I go back a long way now and I can remember when Railway Stations were called just that. But the term "Train Station" is everywhere now. It doesn't seem to be used much here so is it just used by grockles? It makes me want to scream.

Train Station/Railway Station.......People are getting their knickers in a twist over nothing......in my opinion:roll:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
People call things what ever they see fit to call them and the brain of the beholder judges them accordingly.

LE Greys

Established Member
An airport and an aerodrome are different things. "Aerodrome" is just another word for airfield. An airport is much bigger.

A lot of words associated with early aviation are imported from France. Fuselage, empennage, nacelle and hanger for instance. Louis Bleriot and Maurice Farman may have had something to do with it. Really, any permanent facility for the landing and maintenance of aeroplanes (French, avion came later) is an aerodrome (again French).

Status
Not open for further replies.