• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Train Station"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

whhistle

On Moderation
Chips - Normal "British" cut.
Fries - Thin cut (like McDonalds).
Steak Chips / Chunky Chips - Thicker than normal.
Crinkle Cut - Normal, but crinkly.
Define "Normal"?

Normal:

chips.jpg

This also can be said for that appliance you use to suck things up from the carpet. What is it? Not a Hoover, that is a brand. The appliance is a vacuum cleaner.
As I said earlier some words are in "common usage". Strictly speaking a vacuum cleaner does not produce a vacuum, it produces an air pressure differential.
Despite what it does, the appliance name is still "vacuum cleaner".

The O.E.D. disagrees with you!
I cannot see that link, however the L&MR did invent 'commuting' tickets, and the more general word came from that as far as I know.
Therein lies the problem. "as far as I know". What if what you did know was wrong? :P
But then saying that, I don't agree that the week begins on a Sunday. It's called the "weekend" because it is at the end of the week. Why don't we call it "week beginning"? Exactly. Monday will ALWAYS be the first day of the week.

Does anyone apart from those on here really care?
No. In fact, the majority would probably understand "train station" better than "railway station" as the latter creates more processing power for the speaker and the listener.

This thread is a typical "I'll try and out-geek you and prove you wrong" which I find increasing around these forums. While there is nothing wrong with debate and such, the same old "being pedantic..." and "i'll get my coat" I find increasingly annoying. However saying that, there is nothing wrong with attempting to correct someone when they haven't got it quite right.

OK that's cool man..

Won't stop me and other people using that word though ;)
No, but it shows your age and intelligence :roll:

Last edited:

Skymonster

Established Member
A lot of words associated with early aviation are imported from France. Fuselage, empennage, nacelle and hanger for instance. Louis Bleriot and Maurice Farman may have had something to do with it. Really, any permanent facility for the landing and maintenance of aeroplanes (French, avion came later) is an aerodrome (again French).

Taking my turn to be pedantic in respect of aeroplanes rather than railways... hangers are for coats!!! Large buildings on aerodromes inside which aeroplanes can be parked are in fact hangars :roll:

Andy

PinzaC55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinzaC55
Quote:
Originally Posted by whhistle
Chips - Normal "British" cut.
Fries - Thin cut (like McDonalds).
Steak Chips / Chunky Chips - Thicker than normal.
Crinkle Cut - Normal, but crinkly.

Define "Normal"?

Normal:

Nice example! I have a mate round and I showed that picture and asked him what they were and he replied "French Fries" :p

"This thread is a typical "I'll try and out-geek you and prove you wrong" which I find increasing around these forums. While there is nothing wrong with debate and such, the same old "being pedantic..." and "i'll get my coat" I find increasingly annoying. However saying that, there is nothing wrong with attempting to correct someone when they haven't got it quite right."

Sounds like you don't like being wrong?

Last edited:

LE Greys

Established Member
Therein lies the problem. "as far as I know". What if what you did know was wrong? :P
But then saying that, I don't agree that the week begins on a Sunday. It's called the "weekend" because it is at the end of the week. Why don't we call it "week beginning"? Exactly. Monday will ALWAYS be the first day of the week.

I always thought that it was a holdover from pre-Christian times. Saturday is the Jewish Sabbath, the last day of the week. When Christians shifted it to Sunday, I've never been entirely sure whether they changed it or not.

This thread is a typical "I'll try and out-geek you and prove you wrong" which I find increasing around these forums. While there is nothing wrong with debate and such, the same old "being pedantic..." and "i'll get my coat" I find increasingly annoying. However saying that, there is nothing wrong with attempting to correct someone when they haven't got it quite right.

You have a point.

Taking my turn to be pedantic in respect of aeroplanes rather than railways... hangers are for coats!!! Large buildings on aerodromes inside which aeroplanes can be parked are in fact hangars :roll:

Andy

You got me there. Actually, thanks, I need to make a few changes to one book where I've consistently spelt it wrong.

We'll have to define 'Train' next!!
Is a motorized coach a train? A diesel/electric single unit/ rail-bus?
Tram station or tram stop.
The British chip.
Generous thickness 1/2 inch, fresh Maris Piper potatoes cooked to golden brown...Yum! :D
McDough type 'fries'.. mashed up potatoes reformed into potato matchsticks (pommes allumettes) not healthy as the fat content is much higher.

Temple Meads

Established Member
No, but it shows your age and intelligence :roll:

And I have a feeling that your presumption about my intelligence from my use of one word somewhat betrays your own lack of intelligence, and perhaps your age :P

Disclaimer: This post is written with tongue firmly in cheek..

bailey65

Everything just get's more and more americanised we are becoming the 51st state train station is just the tip of the iceberg how ya doing have a nice day,way to go dude etc.

Nonsense

I say Train station, and so do most of the people I know. I don't know the last time I heard anyone say railway station. Railway station even seems like an odd thing to say now that train station is used so widely, and since Train station doesn't mean something else, it can't be wrong.

Its hardly something to vent about though. Its not like cycling on the pavement or leaving dog mess in public spaces is it?

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
(My last words on the subject). Now that I think about it, I usually just say "station". I may now tolerate "train station" if only because because of this signature that someone used in an email to me today:
A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk, I have a work station....
what more can I say...

EM2

Established Member
There really wasn't such a thing as a 'weekend' before the Industrial Revolution, and even then people worked Saturday mornings, with Sundays the only full day of rest.
Friday is the end of the working week. Anyway, even Sunday can be the weekend even if it's the start of the week. It's the front end :lol:

whhistle

On Moderation
We'll have to define 'Train' next!!
Is a motorized coach a train? A diesel/electric single unit/ rail-bus?
Ha ha, no. The next topic is whether it's a ten "coach" or a "car" train :P

And I have a feeling that your presumption about my intelligence from my use of one word somewhat betrays your own lack of intelligence, and perhaps your age :P
A good point, well made.... this time around :P

Bungle73

On Moderation
Ha ha, no. The next topic is whether it's a ten "coach" or a "car" train :P
Coach. "Car" is an Americanism...at least as far as the mainline is concerned, but I believe "car" is the official term on the LU.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Did anyone ever refer to a "dining coach" or "sleeping coach"? "Car" is a legitimately English word, in use long before EMUs!
(In the '50s and '60s, all MUs were described as "n-Car multiple units")

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In the 1923 - 1948 period, the "Big Four" had certain vehicles that were clearly lettered on their sides. I have seen some old LNER photographs with the following wording clearly painted on the sides of such vehicles:-
Restaurant Car
Observation Car
Dynamometer Car.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I noticed a sign in Sheffield recently pointing to the Train Station rather than Railway Station.

HowMuch?

I hope everyone sounding so intense about this are being tongue in cheek. I'm an industry outsider and I can't tell whether this an ongoing joke or not.

If you ARE being serious...(OK, I'll fall for it) then perhaps being insiders, and used to referring to Railway Stations in official documents and inhouse conversations, you might not realise how oldeworlde this term sounds to any non-expert under about thirtyfive.

I bet 90% of the non-industry public would want directions to the"train station" without even THINKING of using "railway", except perhaps in a consciously "heritage" context.

I might have said "railway" in a very formal situation, an official presentation, perhaps - but I bet I never say it in conversation, even at my advanced age.

Some terms from "me younger days" have stuck, though. I still say "carriage" rather than "coach". And I'm sure you wince every time I write "guard".

But I have a VERY guilty secret : I still say "Night Club" or "Disco" - which must make me seem about 90.

Badger

Deeply serious, a lot of it.

I think most of it comes down to not being able to weigh a whale at a train station, spoiling thousands of jokes for decades to come.

Clip

Established Member
And some people wonder why trainspotters get a bad name for geekery. Well done everyone most of you have really showed yourself up for the most boring geeks that we have in this country.

I can only read some of these posts thinking that the posters themselves have one of those horrid voices a bit like Ken Livingstones. What is it your adanoids oor something like that? No doubt some one will be along to correct me.

Languages and words to describe things over the many many years that man has breathed this air and only the most painfully boring people would get in a state about railway or train station.

cle

Established Member
Exactly. Language evolves and it's such a boring, pathetic thing to be bothered about!

6Gman

Established Member
"Train station" does seem to have crept into fashion in the last 10 years or so. I'm not that old, but I can remember a time when most people called them railway stations.

Jonathan Calder's excellent blog 'Liberal England' (it's not just about politics) illustrated the extraordinary way that 'train station' has emerged over the past few years by analysing the use of the two variants in published sources.

I assume it's part of the Americanisation of the English language on this side of the pond!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Inserting the words "Dynamometer Car" into Mr Google / search engine of your choice comes up with this or this if you want a more complicated explanation.

Thank you for helping a fellow forum member during my holiday break.. I assumed that most forum members with a modicum of historical knowledge would have been aware of this particular terminology, when I used it as an example in my posting.......or have I read too many publications by the late well-respected O.S. Nock ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There really wasn't such a thing as a 'weekend' before the Industrial Revolution, and even then people worked Saturday mornings, with Sundays the only full day of rest.
Friday is the end of the working week. Anyway, even Sunday can be the weekend even if it's the start of the week. It's the front end :lol:

Be careful, young person, or we shall see a whole new pedant-led thread debate on the "working" class appearing on this forum...:D

gogogoadam

Certainly should be 'railway station'.... I too have seen signs in towns pointing to 'train station'. I even complained to the Guardian about their official style guide permitting the usage of 'train station' just because 'people under 35' say it. I am under 35, and think that we shouldn't bow to the wrong way of doing things.

Same with pronouncing 'H' as 'Haitch', which is a lot worse!

Perhaps we should resign ourselves. But I certainly know a lot of my friends would say 'train station' instead of just 'station', even though they would never use buses! Why !!

Status
Not open for further replies.