• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Train Station"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I even complained to the Guardian about their official style guide permitting the usage of 'train station' just because 'people under 35' say it. I am under 35, and think that we shouldn't bow to the wrong way of doing things.

Did you ever receive a reply to your complaint to the Guardian, as I would be interested to know how they phrased their answer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
Be careful, young person, or we shall see a whole new pedant-led thread debate on the "working" class appearing on this forum...:D
Cheers Paul (and for the PM), but it's a while since I've been young, having already used up two of my three-score years!
I'll quite gladly argue 'working class', as I am, and probably always will be :D

HowMuch?

Certainly should be 'railway station'.... I too have seen signs in towns pointing to 'train station'. I even complained to the Guardian about their official style guide permitting the usage of 'train station' just because 'people under 35' say it. I am under 35, and think that we shouldn't bow to the wrong way of doing things.

Same with pronouncing 'H' as 'Haitch', which is a lot worse!

Perhaps we should resign ourselves. But I certainly know a lot of my friends would say 'train station' instead of just 'station', even though they would never use buses! Why !!

While I don't agree that 'train station' is in any way 'incorrect', I'm with you on 'h'. At least until we have to give in completely and spell it 'haitch', rather than 'aitch'.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
As others have noted here, language does evolve through the years, often by mistakes being repeated and gradually becoming common parlance. I do think it is a delicious irony that language is created by the ignorant.

When someone working in a shop, for instance, asks, "Can I help you?", I often reply, "Oh I do hope so." If they can't help me, what are they doing there?

[/PEDANT] .... for now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.