• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Struck a Deer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben

Who said a Nervous Breakdown? But anything hitting a train at Spped will cause Shock.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I dont deny that, but it's no reason to curl up into a ball and wither away, there's a job to be done!

Tomnick

Established Member
To be honest, I think the off-topic discussion about points indicators was more useful to the world. I know it's 'only' a deer, but it's the comparisons between that, and a 'real' fatality that I don't like. I think it's fair to say that you have to experience one to know what it's like - I've not commented on what a driver feels and what he's likely to be thinking, because I don't know. So can we all be a bit careful about what we type?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Jamie said:
...and having a brass band play him into Hull station cause he had the guts to continue on in service.

Well there wasn't a band but there were a group of engineers waiting, one of which greeted the driver with 'now then, what have you been doing with this unit?' :lol:

To be honest Jamie, the guy would have been a bit shaken to hit anything at 80-90 mph, let alone a live animal. Maybe not traumatised but certainly shaken.

Coxster

Established Member
So Jamie, if you become a driver and you one day (God forbid) have a 'one under' I would like to hear that you continued with all of your duties, dealt with any body parts, clean down the train at the depot and be bang on time for work the following morning after having a proper good night's sleep.

Guinness

Established Member
I do think this topic has gone a little overboard about a Deer......

*Awaits the many response about "What if you were the driver???".*

Well my answer to that would be about 3 seconds of shock after the train hit it then I'd just continue on with my day as planned (Apart from the Diagram Changes and the incident report I'd have fill out).

The End.
[EDIT]
158 said:
All Credit to the Driver for not Terminating the Service.

Yes. Drinks all round, chaps!

I think it would of been up to the DTM or Control depending on the TOC.

Im pleased to say ive never experianced anything like this. :)
Balls to Deers. What about nearly hitting a 70 Year old Man on a CT 156 on Uttoxeter Crossing?

Ben

Coxster said:
So Jamie, if you become a driver and you one day (God forbid) have a 'one under' I would like to hear that you continued with all of your duties, dealt with any body parts, clean down the train at the depot and be bang on time for work the following morning after having a proper good night's sleep.
Dont forget he'll Refuse The Counselling.

Tomnick

Established Member
Chaz said:
I do think this topic has gone a little overboard about a Deer......

*Awaits the many response about "What if you were the driver???".*

Well my answer to that would be about 3 seconds of shock after the train hit it then I'd just continue on with my day as planned (Apart from the Diagram Changes and the incident report I'd have fill out).

The End.
As I've said - until you've done it, you don't know what it's like. Especially in the semi-darkness, there's every possibility that it'd look like a human, and even if it later turns out not to be, the shock would be there. Can we have a little bit of respect for the drivers who are involved in this sort of incident and not tell them how they should be feeling and acting after something that no-one really wants to happen to them? Please?

Guinness

Established Member
158 said:
Dont forget he'll Refuse The Counselling.

I don't think you get "counselling". It's not a mandatory thing when hitting an animal but again, it depends on the TOC.
[EDIT]
Tomnick said:
Can we have a little bit of respect for the drivers who are involved in this sort of incident and not tell them how they should be feeling and acting after something that no-one really wants to happen to them? Please?

I personally have respect for drivers but not to overrated threads such as this one.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Coxster said:

I would do my duty and do what is expected of me within my capabilities. And I would stand by any decision I would make.

Coxster

Established Member
Jamie said:
I would do my duty and do what is expected of me within my capabilities. And I would stand by any decision I would make.
The company wouldn't expect you to even look at 'it' afterwards. One of my driver-contacts I have met up with had a suicide at Synhurst foot crosing at around 70mph. He said that when he joined the railway he wouldn't be bothered if he had a suicide but when it came to it on one afternoon he was very shocked. One bit of advice he gave to me was that if that were to happen to me as a driver then never look at the result - both before and after the incident. He regrets looking and says it is is an image that has haunted him for the past 10 years.

This is partly the reason for me contributing to this thread.

TheSlash

Established Member
Jamie, as somebody who has been involved with trains that have hit, deer, sheep, cows, concrete troughing, bicycles and humans, i can tell you that it does alot of damage, sometimes not visible to the naked eye.
You can even do alot of damage to a train just hitting a pigeon, it only needs to knock a switch on the coupling and the thing will unceremoniously grind to a halt.
I've had deer run out in front of my car at 60mph before, it definetly shocks you, and thats with the ability to steer round it
To be sat at the front of something that does 100-125mph, takes a mile to stop and can't steer round obstructions, it can be pretty shocking when something capable of derailing your train, runs out in front of you a few yards ahead

Chris

When I worked in Africa I hit and killed a baby donkey while doing 120Kmh/70mph. It was not pretty I tell you and certainly made me **** myself with fright and it was daylight. So I fully agree with many here and think Jamie seems to be lacking a bit of empathy here.:protest::protest::protest:

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Not really, I just have a no-nonsense just get on with it and quit complaining approach to life. With a distinct Yorkshire streak through me which causes me to say what the hell I think and not give a damn if people dont like it. :D

Ben

Chaz said:
I don't think you get "counselling". It's not a mandatory thing when hitting an animal but again, it depends on the TOC.

I Was Quoting Damon.

Ben

Jamie said:
Not really, I just have a no-nonsense just get on with it and quit complaining approach to life. With a distinct Yorkshire streak through me which causes me to say what the hell I think and not give a damn if people dont like it. :D
Im Sorry but that an Insult to us Yorkshire Folk!
[EDIT]
Chaz said:
And I was quoting you...

You see where I'm going with this? ;) :)
Yeah and Damon was talking about Jamie (God Forbid) Hitting a Human.

Guinness

Established Member
158 said:

And I was quoting you about Councilling. ;)

Perhaps we should call it quits? :)

bunnahabhain

Established Member
158 said:
Im Sorry but that an Insult to us Yorkshire Folk!
[EDIT]

Just lucky that I am 1/2 Glaswegian, 1/4 Leicestershireian and 1/4 Yorkshireian then isnt it.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No-one can say with certainty how they'd react, and no-one can say there is a 'right' or 'wrong' way to react. There's no point discussing this hypothetically IMO because you just don't know.

Shock is not a pleasant experience, and it is very unpredictable, and it varies from person to person.

Sprog

Established Member
Chaz said:
Calm Down Sprog, take a can of Boddingtons outside and relax. :)

ha!
i had the can in with me <D muwha, im on my 'family' pc atm, which is in the 'back room' of my 'ouse, next to a big, wide, open patio door ;)

Yesterday after posting that, i spent the rest of the day, with my urban-cammo shorts :shock: in a park sunbathing with my mates! 8-)

Pic to come later on :thumblef: :lol:

H

HR2

Having been a driver of trains [albeit on the tube] I can tell you that ANYTHING you hit with a train wether it be animate or inanimate is nerve jangling. Your guts instantly turn to water and you shake. I have in my time hit a pram. a complete car exhaust system, milk crates, bits of wood and once at West Ham a beautiful Alsatian dog in the dark after midnight.

Not knowing what I had hit I walked back along the track and found that poor creature horribly injured but still alive. I had to do something that broke my heart and reduced me to floods of tears. I grabbed it and deliberately dropped the body on the positive juice rail so that it was electrocuted and put it out of it's agony. Believe me that is NOT a thing I wanted to do but if you had seen that animal and the state it was in you would have done the same. It sounds very harsh and cruel I know but I just could not see the poor thing suffer as it was giving little whimpers of terror and pain.

I'll tell you something else too. I am sobbing NOW as I write at the memory of it. NEVER let me hear anyone say that it is without trauma because it is FULL of it. For both the victim and the causer wether deliberate or not.

EDIT: for all you doubters you DO feel guilty. Because that is the nature of the thing. You have taken another creatures life and therefore guilt is among the emotions you suffer.

Nick

Jamie said:
Just lucky that I am 1/2 Glaswegian, 1/4 Leicestershireian and 1/4 Yorkshireian then isnt it.

Just because your grandparents etc. are from Yorkshire, doesn't mean you are from Yorkshire. How the hell can you be 1/4 Leicestershireian when your born there? Besides, why did you need to tell us about your Glaswegian that has no relevance.

Status
Not open for further replies.