• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train stuck just outside ManchesterPiccadilly-Mon 10/02

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Once it was obvious that the train was a total failure, why did they not immediately run the first available train alongside the failure, align one set of doors on each train, and then use ramps to transfer passengers off the failed train? That ought to have been the first action in this, and all similar events, and could probably have been done in less than 1/2 hour.

Leaving passengers trapped for several hours is unacceptable - despite some management-speak to the contrary.
(And, just curious - would trapped passengers be able to make a legal claim against the TOC or NR for something like "illegal detention" ??)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Two days ago, when the inaudibility of the guard's announcements was an issue being discussed, I asked if any passenger had knocked on the door of the rear cab to tell him or her that what they were saying couldn't be heard (post #76). There's been no answer to that so presumably no-one on here knows. It really surprises me that if passengers couldn't hear the announcements, and therefore didn't know what was going on, nobody knocked on the rear cab door to find out - or on the front cab door to ask the driver, if they were at that end of the train. Passengers themselves are partly to blame if they made no effort to let on-board staff know that they were receiving no information. But the guard is still at fault if, as time went by, he or she didn't go down the train telling passengers what the situation was and checking if anyone had a serious problem.

The debate has now moved on to what should have been done more quickly to get passengers off the train. We've had this before in the context of other long delays. I remember a broken-down HST on the Great Western main line near Pewsey a few years ago, which had some similarity with this case because the first attempt to get a rescue loco to the train failed when it couldn't couple because the HST's brakes couldn't be released. In view of the time it takes to organise rescues of one kind or another (as several posters have emphasised), it seems to me that relying on just one solution isn't enough, because experience has shown that the initial solution may not work. If it doesn't, it takes just as long as it did the first time to organise something else. Putting the passengers' safety first, as several posters have claimed is always the case, ought to mean that getting them out of the predicament they're in should be the top objective, and Plan B should be being worked up from the start so that it's ready to roll as soon as Plan A hasn't solved the problem. It's not credible to tell people "We've had this unfortunate problem and you've been delayed for an hour and a half while we tried to sort it out, and because your safety is our top priority you'll now have to sit here for another hour and half (without toilets, water, heating, or air conditioning, depending on the circumstances) while we think of something different."

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I really am struggling to believe that some people are even reading earlier posts.

It seems perfectly clear to me, from Post No 67, that a compatible Class 323 was sent to assist. This was the obvious standard response that I am sure that everyone involved would have expected to have solved the problem and moved the entire trainload into a platform with little further delay where everyone could alight safely, with luggage, buggies, regardless of fitness, etc.

We are told in Post No 69 that the guard was "constantly making his way back and forth..." in the stranded Class 319 (no doubt keeping an eye on any passengers in distress, providing updates and advice).

Again from Post No 67 we are told that after several failed attempts to couple the (empty) Class 323 it was then shunted alongside for a lateral transfer via a 'ramp'. So this was 'Plan B', expeditiously put into effect by the same staff who were obviously completely aware of the unfolding situation (rather than a 'new lot' having to be briefed).

We all know that this process took longer than anyone would have liked and I am sure that some lessons have been learned.

Back in the old days I was trained on Tightlock assistance (for Class 455's rather than 319s) and shown (and handled) the 'mushrooms'. But it always seems simpler in a quiet depot on a sunny day.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, the problem with trains getting stuck is that it can occur anywhere at any time, not always just next to a major station. I remember being on an InterCity East Coast Class 91-hauled train between Carstairs and Edinburgh around 1992 that was stopped by a points failure at Midcalder Junction in thick freezing fog. Having suitable hi-vi, past training and keys I offered my services to the train crew and then, having descended to the embankment (long step down!) squeezed between the brambles and the train (no proper cess path) and walked forward to the signal post phone arranged with the signaller that I would continue forwards, clip the points and allow us to proceed. This took MUCH longer than you might think that it should have done. Having only 'office' shoes and no gloves on me certainly didn't help. And yes, I am well aware that processes for competency, PPE, etc. have been tightened up a long way since then. Quite rightly too. Fortunately in that incident the train wasn't crowded, the power remained on and buffet open so nobody was too upset (and I got a cab ride for the rest of the way once things were on the move).

Last edited:

What was wrong with the bloody old clapped-out pile of junk anyway?
Motor Alternator failure. Subsequently, the batteries died.
I'm pretty sure any loco with a buckeye can couple to a 319 with a tightlock coupler. 319s carry a couple of fittings (believe it or not a 'toadstool' and a 'mushroom') in every cab for this eventuality.
The assisting 323 could've pushed it in with brakes isolated as you described. But such is the modern railway, that these options aren't taken.

JN114

Established Member
Depending on where the MA failed, you should have gotten a lot longer out of the batteries than it coming to a stand!

There was a suggestion, upthread, that the fault was already existent when the train started the journey it failed on. I don’t know the veracity of that claim, but would explain the limited battery life.

Bow Fell

There was a suggestion, upthread, that the fault was already existent when the train started the journey it failed on. I don’t know the veracity of that claim, but would explain the limited battery life.

Oh dear, I know from experience, as soon as the MA goes, empty out and ECS to the next available location/depot/siding

You should get at least an hour on the batteries.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm not the one missing the point, being a rail fanatic does not make anyone an expert in incident management.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the people getting bent seriously out of shape about this on here almost certainly have no idea about the decision making flow in situations like this. I have zero faith in any of your understanding, and full faith in those professionals whose job it is to assess and act.

And as a customer I'm saying it's unacceptable, particularly given that other railways have a different approach - check the details about SBB's contingency approach.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This isn't about that, I frankly don't understand what part of this you don't understand. Moving people around trackside is riskier than trying to move people within the train. This is why trackside evacuation must always be the last option, not an instant go-to because a few people are slightly unhappy.

There's really nothing more to add to that.

There is - that it is an acceptable risk. We aren't talking about people being hit by trains (as those can be stopped for a short period), we're now telling people, a fair few of whom may be competent hillwalkers and scramblers, that they aren't allowed to walk a few hundred metres along a railway line.

Having mentioned SBB, to be fair, the Swiss approach to H&S would mean that the train would probably have self-evacuated within about half an hour, anyway. The doors automatically release when the train stops and have low-platform steps, so you open them and get off.

I remember being stranded for about an hour and a half on a Merseyrail train in the 90s just short of Ormskirk. Being on the way to school and fancying an excuse to miss the first lesson, a load of us remained on board. Those who wanted off were allowed out of the crew door to jump the fence (no egress-pulling, there *was* no egress on 50x in the 90s, the crew let them). I understand things have changed (particularly in the case of third rail where they could if not careful have touched live shoegear), but I think the railway has just got far too risk-averse overall.

If anyone doesn't *want* to get off and would prefer to sit and wait, fine, offer them the option, of course, as long as you warn them it could be a while. Some will choose that, either because they've got a ton of luggage that it wouldn't be practical to take with them for a walk along the ballast, because they have limited mobility, or because they'd rather have some Delay Repay as they're not in a hurry.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Putting the passengers' safety first, as several posters have claimed is always the case, ought to mean that getting them out of the predicament they're in should be the top objective, and Plan B should be being worked up from the start so that it's ready to roll as soon as Plan A hasn't solved the problem. It's not credible to tell people "We've had this unfortunate problem and you've been delayed for an hour and a half while we tried to sort it out, and because your safety is our top priority you'll now have to sit here for another hour and half (without toilets, water, heating, or air conditioning, depending on the circumstances) while we think of something different."

Precisely.

There should be several plans, and ALL of them should be kicked off at the start, then whichever one gets there first has solved the problem. Not sequentially.

And, I'm sorry, but the suggestion that walking along the ballast is too high risk just shows how excessively over the top railway H&S has got. Sure, if the train was stuck on the Forth Bridge or something it would be different, but this scenario was nowhere near as dangerous as that.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
What does having hillwalking skills have to do with walking on a railway? It may be great knowing a spur to a knoll but that means nothing when you've stuck your foot into a set of points, or stood on a cable trough that gives way.

I'm at a loss why you think that you as a PASSENGER thinks that your opinion outweighs the opinion of crew and control.

If you think it's unacceptable then the simple thing is to not use the service. Because detraining is always going to be the last option. That's a fact, and one I fully endorse.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Fortunately in that incident the train wasn't crowded, the power remained on and buffet open so nobody was too upset (and I got a cab ride for the rest of the way once things were on the move).

And that is something that requires a differing approach. Full and standing, no toilets, no water, excessively high or low temperature etc demands a far faster response than a lightly loaded IC train with all facilities working and the buffet open. It wasn't a stranding per-se, but due to a fatality I've been caught up on a couple of very long delays where the train has been at a platform with doors released (including the famous incident of a late evening LNR calling at Harrow and Wealdstone 3 times) and I haven't chosen to go elsewhere because there wasn't a better option - but that's quite different.

I get what the railway is doing in terms of safety, much as I think it's over the top[1]. However, customer service seems simply not to be being considered.

[1] One thing the railway seems near-unable to do is risk-benefit analysis. It simply does risk assessment and seeks to eliminate at almost any cost.

Llama

Established Member
If it was an MA set failure why was it allowed in to service? The driver has no excuse not to have known about it and I know for a fact I wouldn't have taken that.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
And, I'm sorry, but the suggestion that walking along the ballast is too high risk just shows how excessively over the top railway H&S has got. Sure, if the train was stuck on the Forth Bridge or something it would be different, but this scenario was nowhere near as dangerous as that.

Have you ever tried to walk along the cess in a pair of "city" shoes?
And what about the ladies in heels?
Somehow I doubt it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bow Fell

If it was an MA set failure why was it allowed in to service? The driver has no excuse not to have known about it and I know for a fact I wouldn't have taken that.

I’ll probably jinx it now, but I’ve never had an MA go on me, and the unit has sat down too. Yes it’s been assisted onwards to the depot once at a terminal end.

They genuinely do, just go.

But sometimes there are indications within the train if the MA has “dropped a phase” that’s a sign it’s on the way out.

Llama

Established Member
There should be some indications - the MA light on the cab desk being out and the cab heater blower not working is a telltale too. Usually door control starts going a bit haywire too as battery volts drop towards the 72v cutoff.

bahnause

The assisting 323 could've pushed it in with brakes isolated as you described. But such is the modern railway, that these options aren't taken.
I think I heard of problems pushing/dragging the train several times now. Is it a common problem? I personally never had to isolate brakes on a dragged unit. I can think of a few occasions, where dragging a unit wouldn‘t be possible, but that woulb be known beforehand.
Isolating brakes makes it sound dangerous, but if it is allowed by the rule book, the risk assesement has already been made. No need to rule out that option then.

Bantamzen

Established Member
And as a customer I'm saying it's unacceptable, particularly given that other railways have a different approach - check the details about SBB's contingency approach.

Ah yes, the customer is always right.....

As for SBB, we'll get to that in a minute.

There is - that it is an acceptable risk. We aren't talking about people being hit by trains (as those can be stopped for a short period), we're now telling people, a fair few of whom may be competent hillwalkers and scramblers, that they aren't allowed to walk a few hundred metres along a railway line.

Again, we are not talking about some parochial branch line where trains can be stopped by children waving at them. The throat at Piccadilly is one of the busiest sections on the network, stopping all operations means stopping dozens of trains with thousands of people, and then managing both the services stopped and the growing number of people at the station. Come on, you know damn well how chaotic Piccadilly can get if just a handful of services start to stack up delays, you've moaned about it enough! This will be why evacuation will be the last resort where no other danger exists. But then acknowledging that would risk agreeing with decisions made by railway teams, and that is a faux pas on RUK as well clearly see time & again.

Of course if the train was full of a rambling club on their way to do the 3 Peaks, I'm sure they could all happily wander along the track with few issues. Unfortunately in the real world most people don't dress for hill walking, and their footwear reflects that. Which means even a few hundred metres of scrambling across ballast will take quite a bit of time.

Having mentioned SBB, to be fair, the Swiss approach to H&S would mean that the train would probably have self-evacuated within about half an hour, anyway. The doors automatically release when the train stops and have low-platform steps, so you open them and get off.

A couple of things about this. Firstly the SBB Intervention can get to a failed train in 30 minutes (that's at least the aim, helped by having lots of bi-directional lines), that doesn't mean they could evacuate in the same. In fact for a busy train they most certainly couldn't, because they can accommodate up to 60 people. Secondly, one of the reasons for SBB having these trains is the terrain that much of the Swiss rail network passes through. You know mountainous, with high viaducts, step embankments, long tunnels. Its the reason these trains carry water & fire crews, because an emergency on their network is more likely to be out of reach of any road or even air based services. And given that Switzerland, as beautiful as it is, can have very cold temperatures & blinding blizzards in winter, it makes sense for them to have this extra level of contingency.

But even in all this, I imagine there would be scenarios where passengers may not get evacuated from an unmovable train for, oh at least a couple of hours.

I remember being stranded for about an hour and a half on a Merseyrail train in the 90s just short of Ormskirk. Being on the way to school and fancying an excuse to miss the first lesson, a load of us remained on board. Those who wanted off were allowed out of the crew door to jump the fence (no egress-pulling, there *was* no egress on 50x in the 90s, the crew let them). I understand things have changed (particularly in the case of third rail where they could if not careful have touched live shoegear), but I think the railway has just got far too risk-averse overall.

And why do you think the railways have got more risk adverse? Perhaps those ambulance chasing law firms that like to scoop up anyone who has an accident & might be able to blame someone else? I made this point earlier, but I make it again. What would happen if a rushed evac took place and someone slipped and knocked themselves out on a rail? Who do you think would get the blame? The railway staff of course, and doubtless that would have got even more coverage in the local rag than it did, with a feeding frenzy on these forums. Unfortunately these conditions exist because we in this country always want someone to blame, and of course want financial compensation for it. Kind of ironic really, the passengers got more inconvenienced because they might be likely to attribute blame if something went wrong trying to get them away from the inconvenience.

If anyone doesn't *want* to get off and would prefer to sit and wait, fine, offer them the option, of course, as long as you warn them it could be a while. Some will choose that, either because they've got a ton of luggage that it wouldn't be practical to take with them for a walk along the ballast, because they have limited mobility, or because they'd rather have some Delay Repay as they're not in a hurry.

So you are saying you would discriminate against those with reduced mobility…..?? ;)

Seriously though, as far as we know the worst that happened to these passengers was a couple of hours stuck on a train. Despite all the fevered hypothetical scenarios being dreamed up on this thread, nobody was in danger, nobody needed urgent medical attention, no babies were delivered, no giant reptile was bearing down on the train to terrorise the passengers. At the very worst it was an annoying inconvenience to those caught up. They won't be the first, nor will they be the last. There are good reasons for not just tipping out punters trackside without careful considerations of all the factors, whether you choose to accept them or not. I've been there myself, I know what it is like, annoying but unless there is an urgent need for evacuation just something that happens sometimes. Can lessons be learned? Of course, every invocation of a contingency demands it no matter how well or badly it went. Does that mean that evacuations should be made sooner? Not necessarily. Will members on RUK complain no matter what plans are evoked? Absolutely!! :E

Yes, it had failed before it left Crewe...

mandub

Correct. Me neither.
But that's what I heard, control said take it and driver did.

A Challenge

Established Member
Correct. Me neither.
But that's what I heard, control said take it and driver did.
I hope control realises not to force a driver to take a broken unit that might fail somewhere even worse (actually, is there much worse?)

bahnause

A couple of things about this. Firstly the SBB Intervention can get to a failed train in 30 minutes (that's at least the aim, helped by having lots of bi-directional lines), that doesn't mean they could evacuate in the same. In fact for a busy train they most certainly couldn't, because they can accommodate up to 60 people. Secondly, one of the reasons for SBB having these trains is the terrain that much of the Swiss rail network passes through. You know mountainous, with high viaducts, step embankments, long tunnels. Its the reason these trains carry water & fire crews, because an emergency on their network is more likely to be out of reach of any road or even air based services. And given that Switzerland, as beautiful as it is, can have very cold temperatures & blinding blizzards in winter, it makes sense for them to have this extra level of contingency.
You might be mixing up the Glacier Express with the SBB Network now or a Disney version of Switzerland. Most parts (and the busiest as well) are in urban regions, not dissimilar what you would find at home.
The first option is always to drag the failed train to a station, if this is not possible evacuation would be done via another train. The Rescue train has the necessary tools on board (brigdes, ladders...). You wouldn‘t use the rescue train as evacuation train, unless there are not many passengers or in case of a fire etc. If nothing else is possible, passangers might have to walk through the ballast. But the 60 minute rule applies to all of these cases. The longer you wait, the more likley a passanger initiated evacuasion becomes. And this is a real danger.

Letting people sit on a train for hours is not an option.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Out of interest, how does the rescue train get to the failed train? Does it run "wrong line" a bit like the Police might reach a major motorway pileup by going the wrong way down the affected carriageway?

Bantamzen

Established Member
You might be mixing up the Glacier Express with the SBB Network now or a Disney version of Switzerland. Most parts (and the busiest as well) are in urban regions, not dissimilar what you would find at home.
The first option is always to drag the failed train to a station, if this is not possible evacuation would be done via another train. The Rescue train has the necessary tools on board (brigdes, ladders...). You wouldn‘t use the rescue train as evacuation train, unless there are not many passengers or in case of a fire etc. If nothing else is possible, passangers might have to walk through the ballast. But the 60 minute rule applies to all of these cases. The longer you wait, the more likley a passanger initiated evacuasion becomes. And this is a real danger.

Letting people sit on a train for hours is not an option.

But nonetheless, Switzerland does have some very challenging terrain through which the network runs does it not? I wasn't stroking out when I've travelled across the "Disney" parts was I? Which is why I made the point that they have specialist units that can be used for recovery in these parts, as well as the common or garden bits.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
But nonetheless, Switzerland does have some very challenging terrain through which the network runs does it not? I wasn't stroking out when I've travelled across the "Disney" parts was I? Which is why I made the point that they have specialist units that can be used for recovery in these parts, as well as the common or garden bits.

It does, yes, though other than the Base Tunnels and the likes of the Loetschbergbahn most of the "challenging" ones are the narrow gauge lines and thus not SBB anyway (and these tend to be operated more like pseudo tramways, so I don't doubt that they'd just release the doors[1] and the passengers would get off and walk anyway). The mainline from Geneva to Brig, for instance, being the one I'm most familiar with, runs down a valley for its entire length, and with a largely unfenced system getting on and off the line is much easier.

[1] If necessary. Older stock still uses UIC door blocking, i.e. once the train drops below 5km/h they are released automatically.

mandub

Out of interest, how does the rescue train get to the failed train? Does it run "wrong line" a bit like the Police might reach a major motorway pileup by going the wrong way down the affected carriageway?
If necessary yes the assisting train can go wrong direction.
In this case the lines right outside Picc throat are bi directional

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Both the bod in Control and the driver need a serving of tea and biscuits for that.

Well, quite. The issues surrounding evacuations in unavoidable situations are one thing, a train wilfully being put into service that was definitely going to fail in the not distant future (and block Castlefield, stuffing up the entire North West rail network with possible knock-on all the way to Scotland) is just grossly incompetent.

Status
Not open for further replies.