Train/Tractor accident near Knaresborough, North Yorks

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by David Dunning, 14 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Dunning

David Dunning Member

Train and Tractor collision at Flaxby near Knaresborough this evening.
    More details here http://www.minsterfm.com/news/local/1614637/updated-train-and-tractor-collision-near-knaresborough/

Last edited by a moderator: 14 May 2015
  2. Adam0984

Adam0984 Member

3. rebmcr

rebmcr Established Member

That 150 seems to have fared exceptionally well, compared to the heavy machinery it demolished!

4. crispy1978

crispy1978 Established Member

The pictures look horrendous.

Very lucky there hasn't been a serious injury or fatality - the tractor is an absolute mess.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    150225 is the train involved.

5. 455driver

455driver Veteran Member

both big bits of the tractor look fine, they are just not attached to each other!

I wonder how this occurred?
    Actually I have got a pretty good idea! :roll:

6. SamS

SamS Member

7. tsr

tsr Established Member

8. class 9

class 9 Member

Alas, farm crossings do have telephones and some have the miniature red/green warning lights, but the railway has a constant battle to make the users of these crossings use them correctly(and therefore safely).

9. SamS

SamS Member

The only lights I can see are in the distance, which I assumed was the train.

10. Bantamzen

Bantamzen Established Member

If you look to the right of the picture, over the front of the trailer you can just make out a set of lights which appear to be at red.

11. edwin_m

edwin_m Established Member

As usual, a number of causes are possible and we will see the report in due course.

Glad nobody was seriously injured, and I hope the unit is quickly repairable. Despite the arrival of 319s Northern is still short of DMUs.

12. sbt

sbt Member

There are also other reasons that accidents happen at these crossings. Some of them are down to 'the railway', some down to a combination of fault and some down to 'happenstance'.

Its rare for a RAIB report into incidents at User Worked Crossings not to have at least a 'Learning Point' for NR, even in cases where misuse was the major factor. Sometimes those recommendations or learning points relate to the conduct of that 'constant battle'. In other cases the RAIB has commented on the tendency to automatically assign blame to the crossing user and therefore take no action on issues that are down to 'the railway'.

Indeed. Looking at the photos and having read every report the RAIB has ever put out I'm pretty sure about some key features of the accident. I will wait for the RAIB report before commenting further however.

13. lincolnshire

lincolnshire Member

Oakwood farm Level crossing used to be Miniature Red And Green warning light crossing with phone line direct to local signal Box, might have changed as been a good while since I last went passed as see we now have p.v panels there now.
    Years ago if you passed both on train and road the gates was often left open if you looked across as gates open away from railway.

Just have to see what has happened when the inquiry is over .

14. sbt

sbt Member

Ok, straightaway I break my own intention.

New photos show miniature lights at this crossing clearly.

Google Earth photo, just a 'point in time' and possibly from 'years ago' appears to show gates open and no vehicle around, which backs up your statement about your experience of the usual state of the gates.

<thinks> Side looking cameras on the NMT to record state of UWC gates and trigger action to encourage compliance if required? Similar checking if an aerial survey is done (are they done?) </ thinks>

15. darloscott

darloscott Member

There was a double 150 set outside Neville Hill this morning, presumably these two involved in this incident

16. g8bvl

g8bvl New Member

Should this happen to be an occupational crossing the farmer petitioned to have electric gates installed to negate leaving their vehicle, I trust they will be delt with proportionately, mindblowing disregard for public safety

17. Anvil1984

Anvil1984 Established Member

Was it Oakwood Farm? When I was at York you were cautioned regularly at that crossing as the owner of the adjacent land refused to close gate

18. snowball

snowball Established Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.