• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train Truckers on Yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just seen an advert for a new series following the people who move trains around on the backs of lorries. Starts 29 August on Yesterday. Whilst I don't normally like this sort of fly on the wall program (as they tend to drag out 30 mins of TV to an hour), it looked worth a watch.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
Just seen an advert for a new series following the people who move trains around on the backs of lorries. Starts 29 August on Yesterday. Whilst I don't normally like this sort of fly on the wall program (as they tend to drag out 30 mins of TV to an hour), it looked worth a watch.
The idea of that reminds me of a program which was on years ago called "Monster Moves" - one episode involved a group of British railway enthusiasts going out to Turkey (not South Africa) to save an old 8F loco, which was known as a "Churchill".
Hopefully this new show will be just as good as that old one!

-Peter

Last edited:

D6975

Established Member
Watching tonight's episode. The commentator just referred to a duff as a 'diesel shunter' :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just watched this on 'catch up' (as I actually forgot it was on!). It was certainly watchable, quite interesting and without too much repetition. Worth a look if you have a spare hour.

Darandio

Established Member
Watched the first two last night, quite enjoyed them.

Watching tonight's episode. The commentator just referred to a duff as a 'diesel shunter' :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I know accuracy is often talked about on here when it comes to railway programmes and people always say they don't know what they are on about. Referring to the 47 as a diesel shunter was entirely accurate in this case.

1, It was a diesel shunter and did shunting duties.
2, For decades 37's, 47's, 56's, 66's, 67's (insert more) have often been dedicated to shunting duties only.

ExRes

Established Member
I know we're all supposed to watch the telly these days armed with a stopwatch and a bottle of valium for the excitement, but, having watched last nights episode I despair, Allelys turn up at the Llangollen to collect 5199 and guess what, the arrival of the lorry and camera crew don't seem to alert the Llangollen staff to the fact that the loco is buried away when it's due to be collected, a small matter which will have been arranged somewhat before the collection day, cue a small panic and subsequent delay to the two loco job they're on, are we supposed to believe that the Llangollen staff are that incompetent and/or lazy? or should we have got extra excitement by a job done in the nick of time? personally I'm a little insulted that TV always tries to make us think that life can only exist if we do everything with a second or two to spare

swanhill41

Llangollen in my book was a joke!...As ExRes says how come they weren't ready?....Also what a stupid location it seems to be for getting rather oversized lorries in and out of...Frankly very surprised that road wasn't coned to stop people leaving cars parked in line of action...Stupid is a word I would use....
Ref the Class 66 ,that was the shortest drive I have seen a loco taken....Load on in Rotterdam,unload in Hull ,drop off in the Steel Warehouse and then home empty....Less than 2 miles actually driving..
Must admit it's a great advert for Alley's Transport!

AndrewE

Established Member
are we supposed to believe that the Llangollen staff are that incompetent and/or lazy? or should we have got extra excitement by a job done in the nick of time? personally I'm a little insulted that TV always tries to make us think that life can only exist if we do everything with a second or two to spare
I have given up watching quite a few TV programmes because of the obviously fabricated tension, but reading https://www.lms-patriot.org.uk/engineering/2019-09-05/engineering-update-july-2019 does make you wonder...

Ref the Class 66 ,that was the shortest drive I have seen a loco taken....Load on in Rotterdam,unload in Hull ,drop off in the Steel Warehouse and then home empty....Less than 2 miles actually driving..
Probably cheaper than finding a train ferry, getting it (and the loco) to a suitable continental port, then renovating a UK linkspan and paying the Track Access Charges for getting the loco to Hull by rail!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Probably cheaper than finding a train ferry, getting it (and the loco) to a suitable continental port, then renovating a UK linkspan and paying the Track Access Charges for getting the loco to Hull by rail!

Is there a reason why it couldn't have been dragged via the tunnel? Does the diesel ban extend to dead locomotives as well?

swanhill41

I have given up watching quite a few TV programmes because of the obviously fabricated tension, but reading https://www.lms-patriot.org.uk/engineering/2019-09-05/engineering-update-july-2019 does make you wonder...

Looking at the film/programme it was as follows.....The loco was carried approx. 3 miles by Alleys....It appeared to have arrived by rail at Rotterdam and was taken on from Hull by rail,ie towed by another loco....The loco had come from Switzerland and was going somewhere in UK for a 3 month overhaul.
Can someone clarify if I am wrong?

D6975

Established Member
Watched the first two last night, quite enjoyed them.

I know accuracy is often talked about on here when it comes to railway programmes and people always say they don't know what they are on about. Referring to the 47 as a diesel shunter was entirely accurate in this case.

1, It was a diesel shunter and did shunting duties.
2, For decades 37's, 47's, 56's, 66's, 67's (insert more) have often been dedicated to shunting duties only.
Using a loco for shunting duties does not magically transform it from a mainline loco into a shunter. A shunter is a loco specifically designed for that purpose.

plarailfan

I haven't seen any of these programmes yet, but I would guess the 66 must have been one of the Euro 66's that have been coming through Hull.
They were given temporary numbers, such as 66 999 and moved by rail, to Longport, for overhaul.
Like Peter on post #12, I've wondered why they haven't been coming through the channel tunnel ?

anamyd

On Moderation
I'm watching the series on UKTV Play, not in order but I started with the one with the 800 in it and then watched the one with the 195 in it. Interesting to see Allelys move the old locos though!

Oldsox

Good start but getting boring now...trains never ready to move..brakes on...wrong way round...then we build a ramp..usual narrow roads with vehicles always parked in the way..get to destination and they are never ready... good advert for Alleys though...overall a bit dissapointed...sorry guys!

anamyd

On Moderation
Not that I'd usually make corrections, but why have so many people been calling Allelys "Alleys"...?

Status
Not open for further replies.