• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train type on platform displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

superjohn

Yesterday morning I noticed the platform information screens at Charlton were showing “Train type: Class 376” among all the other information. Is this a recent development? I can’t say I’ve noticed it before. I’m not sure if it’s just a Southeastern thing, I’ll try to see if it happens with Thameslink services as well.

Attachments

• 4E571DA0-4841-4C9A-B5EC-CD96F48490D7.jpeg
    4E571DA0-4841-4C9A-B5EC-CD96F48490D7.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 143
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

markymark2000

On Moderation
Yesterday morning I noticed the platform information screens at Charlton were showing “Train type: Class 376” among all the other information. Is this a recent development? I can’t say I’ve noticed it before. I’m not sure if it’s just a Southeastern thing, I’ll try to see if it happens with Thameslink services as well.
It didn't give the class but at Virgin stations, Virgin trains were announced as 'Virgin Pendolino service to [Destination]' or 'Virgin Super Voyager service to [Destination].
LNER are currently announcing their services as 'LNER Azuma services to [destination].

While not the exact same (showing the class number), it does tell you the type of train.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Same message appears at London Bridge for 376, believe it is a coded message for no toilets.

Certainly when I was at Abbey Wood on Friday a 376 operated service was announced with something along the lines of "we regret but there is no toilet facilities on this service" following. Although the loos on the 465s can be very hit & miss if they are working!

Frontera2

Hi, we started doing this a couple of months ago following some passenger feedback.

There are passengers who actively avoid travelling on the 376’s for some reason, but there are also many regulars who know they don’t have toilets either. Showing the train type seemed a reasonable compromise.

Whilst we could have shown “no toilets” instead, this wouldn’t differentiate between a 376 or a 465 with no working toilets.

It doesn’t seem to do any harm and we’ve had no negative feedback so far.

KingJ

Hi, we started doing this a couple of months ago following some passenger feedback.

There are passengers who actively avoid travelling on the 376’s for some reason, but there are also many regulars who know they don’t have toilets either. Showing the train type seemed a reasonable compromise.

Whilst we could have shown “no toilets” instead, this wouldn’t differentiate between a 376 or a 465 with no working toilets.

It doesn’t seem to do any harm and we’ve had no negative feedback so far.

First off, thank you for adding this information on to the departure boards - information on toilet availability has been an ongoing theme of discussion between my rail user group and SE's Stakeholder Engagement Manager for a a couple of years now so it's great to see further progress being made!

I would suggest however that "no toilets" (or similar) would still be more appropriate even though it wouldn't distinguish between a service that has no working toilets and one that has no fitted toilets in the first place. From a passenger perspective, all I need to know is if there is a toilet onboard that I can use - a train with no working toilet is equivalent to one that has no toilet fitted in that case. Although some passengers will know the difference between the various classes of trains and what this means in terms of onboard facilities, a message of "no toilets available on this service" is much clearer to all.

I also note that someone further up thread mentioned seeing this at London Bridge, we'd previously been told about a year ago that putting this information on the departure boards at Network Rail managed systems was tricky as there was no automatic way to do it. Does this mean that this has been resolved now and that any extra information input on SE-managed departure boards will also appear on NR-managed departure boards without manual intervention? Great news if so :)

Status
Not open for further replies.