• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Train vs Car - what will win?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Train of course...

Images © Essex County Fire & Rescue Service

Incident No: 24027 Date: 05-11-2006
Time: 00:50
Details: Car in collision with train
Address: Nr Leigh on Sea Railway Station
Attendance: 2 x Hadleigh 1 x Rochford 1 x Rayleigh 1 x Leigh (RT)

h_483Image008_1.jpg

h_484Image009.jpg

h_485Image001.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Julian G

Established Member
Would the accident could have been worse if it was a 310/312?

metrocammel

Would the accident could have been worse if it was a 310/312?

In fact, arguably slightly less, as the 357 has aesthetic fibre-glass covers over its "buffers" which have, looking at the picture been disintegrated. On a 310/312 the metal buffers would have taken the impact, with not even any aesthetic damage caused.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
The Mk2s have very high standards of crashworthyness aswell, although part of the reason for this being not generally mentioned is that Mk2s have been involved in few serious accidents compared to the Mk1s and Mk3s. In some cases they actually seem better than the Mk3s, since the Mk3s are weak to side impacts and twisting, wheras the Mk2s don't seem to be as bad in that respect. Overall though it's hard to say which would have come off better or worse in a particular accident, but it's highly unlikely a Mk2 would have come off much worse, and a good change one would have come off better.
By the way, we shouldn't jump to conclusions about the cause of the accident unless we know the full details. Just because a lot of incidents where cars end up on railway lines are down to the stupidity of the driver, doesn't mean it's the case every time.

Ascot

Established Member
Oh i'v cabbed that train when i was in for my Induction thingy set up by my school. Wow i wonder if my packet of crisps is still in their.

Status
Not open for further replies.