• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie2

Trainee Depot Driver

Drivers

Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: £26,391 during training
Closing Date: Friday 13 October 2017
Reference: 2017-183
We’re now recruiting for our Trainee Depot Driver’s to join us in 2018 for either our Nottingham or Derby depot! We welcome candidates from all backgrounds. Women, younger people and ethnic minority groups are currently under-represented within our Depot Driver population and are encouraged to apply as we value diversity and are committed to ensuring equality across our organisation.

As a Trainee Depot Driver you will be responsible for moving our trains around the Depots ensuring you keep people safe, following the rules and regulations and production requirements of East Midlands Trains. Following compliance and strict policy you’ll be responsible for Depot driving, shunting, light maintenance and other tasks such as fault finding and reporting. You will also be responsible for checking that the train environment is up to our market leading standards.

As a Trainee Depot Driver you will be required to work 37 hours per week, this will be shift work including a range of early starts, afternoons and nights across the 7 days of the week. Candidates will need to be 21 or over to become a Trainee Depot Driver in line with National Standards. Natural progression in this role is to become the Mainline Drivers of the future. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity to begin a fulfilling career with East Midlands Trains.

The successful candidates will need to be of excellent calibre due the high levels of responsibility in this safety critical role. Excellent communication skills are an essential attribute for Depot Drivers to ensure a safe and efficient working environment. You will also need to be flexible, resilient, an excellent team player and have the ability to follow set rules and procedures. You will be expected to undergo 4 stages of testing as part of the recruitment process and be expected to meet the OPC driver assessment to Mainline Standards as well as successful completion of a driver medical.

The first stage of assessments dates are:

• Stage 1 - WC 25th October

• Stage 2 - Friday 10th November

• Stage 3 - WC 20th November

• Stage 4 - WC 5th December

Occupational Health appointments to take place for successful candidates- W/C 2nd January 2018

Please note further testing is planned for early 2018 and training Courses will commence at a number of dates throughout 2018. If successful you will be placed into a Talent Pool and be offered a role when opportunities become available.

The successful candidates will enjoy a competitive salary, and comprehensive on-going training. East Midlands Trains offers a wide range of benefits including a defined benefit salary pension scheme, free travel of the East Midlands Trains network and subsidised travel across the rail network with other train operation companies.

To apply please complete the online application form and upload your CV. As we operate a blind screening process please remove all personal information including your name from your CV.

https://careers.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/vacancy.aspx?ref=2017-183

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Major14

Have you failed any OPC driver testing in the last 12 months?

Regarding the above preliminary question, I failed the Group Bourdon test on stage 1 of the trainee driver assessment day for Arriva Rail London in January 2017. I was told by ARL that I would be able to apply again after 6 months to them or any other rail company. Not wishing to make myself look a bit thick, but would that disqualify me from applying on this occasion?

Dynamonic

Have you failed any OPC driver testing in the last 12 months?

Regarding the above preliminary question, I failed the Group Bourdon test on stage 1 of the trainee driver assessment day for Arriva Rail London in January 2017. I was told by ARL that I would be able to apply again after 6 months to them or any other rail company. Not wishing to make myself look a bit thick, but would that disqualify me from applying on this occasion?

Unfortunately, I believe it would this time. Luckily, the job advert did hint that there may be further tests in 2018, so hopefully, recruitment would be reopened for then.

I previously got up to the MMI when I applied for this role in late 2013, so I'm going to give it another shot now! :D (Hopefully, my assessment passes up to the MMI might jjjuuussstttt be valid)

I know what three of the four stages are (OPC Stage 1, OPC Stage 2 and DM Interview), but what's the fourth? I thought it would be the medical but it goes on to mention that the medicals are happening in 2018. Telephone Interview perhaps?

Last edited:

Habitat

Does anyone now how long the training is, and therefore how long the training salary would be in place for?
Then once qualified, what is the full salary?

Raul_Duke

Does anyone now how long the training is, and therefore how long the training salary would be in place for?
Then once qualified, what is the full salary?

Training salary is 18 weeks or passout, whichever comes first.

Current salary is £35166, but there’s two pay rises scheduled for The next 12 months so will be closer to c£38k by the time you got there.

Habitat

Thanks for the speedy reply. I guessed it was a years training, but perhaps that's for mainline driver.

Raul_Duke

You’ll get the same rules and traction as a mainline driver, but only 4 weeks mentoring.

Mainline get a few months mentoring, high speed handling and route learning, that’s why it takes longer.

Training salary is 18 weeks or passout, whichever comes first.

Current salary is £35166, but there’s two pay rises scheduled for The next 12 months so will be closer to c£38k by the time you got there.

If current wait times are anything to go by it will be three years before someone submitting an application today would be on full pay?

Is there much overtime at the depots? Is a 4 or 5 day week on average for your 37hrs?

Salesy

I know the closing date hasn't passed yet but has anybody heard anything?

JonnyH

I know the closing date hasn't passed yet but has anybody heard anything?
Received confirmation that I have applied but nothing else. Wouldn’t imagine there will be any news for a few weeks

Max287

Application submitted. Been waiting for these jobs specifically for ages! Good luck everyone applying

Dynamonic

My application will be submitted tomorrow. I want to make sure it's spot on before I let it go!
If I remember correctly from last time I applied, it might be a few weeks before you hear anything.

The best of luck to all of you who are applying too! :D

Last edited:
Received confirmation that I have applied but nothing else. Wouldn’t imagine there will be any news for a few weeks

Assessment 1 is booked in for w/c 25th October 2017 so it won't be that long. What's the minimum notice you'd expect for a trip to the OPC? A week? Spoke to someone today, they're batoning down the hatches at emt and expecting thousands of applicants.

Dynamonic

That's probably one of the reasons why EMT have posted the dates on their job advert, so we can ensure we've got them free.

OPC Stage 1 testing for EMT is typically done at EMT's Training Academy next to Derby station.

Also, remember that the advert hints at more assessment dates, so it's quite possible you might get a choice of even later dates if you couldn't make the first batch. :) (I'd want to secure a place on an early course though to try and avoid prolonged talent pool waiting)

Although the OPC recommend two weeks of revision time for your assessments (and you are required to sign a form on the day, declaring that you are happy that you have had enough preparation), I have read of cases (not necessarily with EMT) where you didn't have that much notice.

The reality is, that there are plenty of candidates who would be able to sit and pass all the stages with quite minimal preparation time, either because they've done it before, or researched the process effectively, or even just have the skill to do it.

The best thing to do is to work with the assumption that you'll sit Stage One, and start using this site to prepare straight away, then start practicing for Stage Two as soon as you've sat Stage One, even if you don't know how you did!

Just stay ahead of the game! :D

Last edited:
That's probably one of the reasons why EMT have posted the dates on their job advert, so we can ensure we've got them free.

OPC Stage 1 testing for EMT is typically done at EMT's Training Academy next to Derby station.

Also, remember that the advert hints at more assessment dates, so it's quite possible you might get a choice of even later dates if you couldn't make the first batch. :) (I'd want to secure a place on an early course though to try and avoid prolonged talent pool waiting)

Although the OPC recommend two weeks of revision time for your assessments (and you are required to sign a form on the day, declaring that you are happy that you have had enough preparation), I have read of cases (not necessarily with EMT) where you didn't have that much notice.

The reality is, that there are plenty of candidates who would be able to sit and pass all the stages with quite minimal preparation time, either because they've done it before, or researched the process effectively, or even just have the skill to do it.

The best thing to do is to work with the assumption that you'll sit Stage One, and start using this site to prepare straight away, then start practicing for Stage Two as soon as you've sat Stage One, even if you don't know how you did!

Wise words indeed. Yes, i have heard of tocs giving sod-all notice before now, but essentially the tests are designed so huge amounts of practice would only ptovide minimal marginal gains. Either you can do it or you can't, non technical skills of a driver. You can teach someone to operate a 158 and recognise signals but you can't teach someone to concentrate for hour after hour in the seat.

I am new to the OPC testing, can anyone confirm what test is actually required at Stage 1?
Good luck to you all.

Thanks Spank,

I presume a DMI is a standard interview with one of the managers - why you want to work for EMT and in that role etc etc...

I am aware the MMI is a structured pass or fail interview but what's confusing me is how the DMI and MMI differ?

Sorry complete newbie to the industry here.

baz962

Established Member
Thanks Spank,

I presume a DMI is a standard interview with one of the managers - why you want to work for EMT and in that role etc etc...

I am aware the MMI is a structured pass or fail interview but what's confusing me is how the DMI and MMI differ?

Sorry complete newbie to the industry here.

Mmi is just structured question's usually 6 and is part of the psychometric test's and dmi has same question's plus the what do you know about the company and why do you want to be a train driver etc and is usually more relaxed.

Thank you so much Baz. In the MMI do I provide past experience to which they interview me on or is it just 6 random questions relating to the role?

baz962

Established Member
Thank you so much Baz. In the MMI do I provide past experience to which they interview me on or is it just 6 random questions relating to the role?
the question's should be slightly different for each person if I remember rightly mine were
tell us about a time you dealt with an emergency, tell us a time you had to do/organise something where it was important not to make a mistake, tell us a time you found it hard to learn something and how you overcame it. That was 3 and I am struggling to remember the other 3 and they do not have to be work related and does not have to be emergency as in medical etc. It doesn't relate to the role as such and they should be true event's you encountered. Just remembered another tell us a time you had to follow rules and procedure's. the dmi will have similar question's and I was asked some that related to train driving. I had my mmi first and passed but did not get through my dmi make of that what you will lol.

Drh78

Anyone know EMT's stance and policy on laser eye surgery? I know when they advertised this post the other year it was ano to laser eye. Just wondering if they've decided to lift it and realise it works and is more advanced now than years ago. Tried to call but no joy. Thanks

Dynamonic

Hi PotentialTrain!

In the MMI, you will be asked six specific questions relating to the competencies required of a train driver. (These questions are floating around the forum somewhere, so have a look).
These questions are asked on a form which you will fill in at the start of your Stage 2 Assessment, and you will need to provide brief examples of experiences you have had which answer those questions.

You will then go on to do some computerised tests, while the interviewer will review your answers and prepare questions about the examples you have provided.

If you pass the computerised tests, you will be asked to immediately sit your MMI interview, and provide very detailed information about your experiences! (Seriously...don't lie! )

The MMI interview is relaxed though, but very deep!

stjimmy87

What if you have already passed stage 1 within 2 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.