• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dynamonic

Couldn't say!

I was thinking to myself..."I swear this guy is on that forum too!" :lol:

EDIT:

To hype you all up, for those of you on Facebook, check out a video 'ITV Central' posted on the 23rd.
It shows a reporter trying out East Midlands Trains' new HST driving simulator in a nice 10 minute long video.

EDIT 2:

Here is the link! Got it working!

Last edited:

zambo01

Like a lot of the recent posters in this thread, I was fortunate enough to get an email to confirm that I had made it through the shortlisting and will be attending an assessment day next year.

Kicking myself for not putting my application through sooner, but wanted to make sure that I had done enough to get through the paper sift!

Is there anyone here, that has already done the day one assessment, who would be willing to send my the practice papers they sent you? I know I'll obviously get similar paper myself closer to the date, but just thought I could spend more time familiarising myself with the sort of tests and stuff they will be asking me to complete!

If anyone is willing, let me know and I'll PM you my email!

Thanks in advance!

Like a lot of the recent posters in this thread, I was fortunate enough to get an email to confirm that I had made it through the shortlisting and will be attending an assessment day next year.

Kicking myself for not putting my application through sooner, but wanted to make sure that I had done enough to get through the paper sift!

Is there anyone here, that has already done the day one assessment, who would be willing to send my the practice papers they sent you? I know I'll obviously get similar paper myself closer to the date, but just thought I could spend more time familiarising myself with the sort of tests and stuff they will be asking me to complete!

If anyone is willing, let me know and I'll PM you my email!

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure that's using one's inititive or gaining an unfair advantage. Either way it's also not compatible with the idea of a level playing field. You're asking people whose scores maybe judged against yours (who knows when they will finalise the talent pool candidates) to help you get a better score? There's enough info floating around on this board to give you a decent headstart over the average man (woman or otherwise) off the street.

TrainBotherer

I didn't do any practise at all for stage 1. I didn't even know what to expect. Then once I got through stage 1 and the dmi I started thinking I might actually stand a chance of getting this job and so did research on here about what to expect at the "psychometrics" stage. There is nothing really that you can practise because I honestly believe that if you are able to do it then you don't need to practise. I definitely believe you can either do it or you can't and that practising is a waste of time. The opinion I held was that if I passed and got the job it means I would be able to do it but if I didn't pass then that would mean I'm not suitable for the role and it wasn't meant to be. I was successful and I got the job.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Somewhat related to the thread although more from the qualified angle...

Anyone got any info on the St Pancras depot, routes, traction, link structure, taxi arrangements (if any).

Many thanks in advance.

zambo01

I'm not sure that's using one's inititive or gaining an unfair advantage. Either way it's also not compatible with the idea of a level playing field. You're asking people whose scores maybe judged against yours (who knows when they will finalise the talent pool candidates) to help you get a better score? There's enough info floating around on this board to give you a decent headstart over the average man (woman or otherwise) off the street.

That’s fair and I understand that some people feel that it would be willingly giving a “competitor” an advantage that they didn’t have themselves.

On the flip side, if I personally had completed that stage of the assessment and someone asked me, I don’t think I’d mind sending them the papers....(and I’m happy for anyone to hold me to that when/if I get done myself!).

I don’t see it any differently to the questions other people have already asked (and has answered) about what tests were conducted during the Stage 1 assessment. You could argue that those answers have allowed people to be more prepared than people who didn’t have that knowledge before - but no fuss was made about sharing that info!

Each to their own and I didn’t mean to cause any offence to anyone. Just, like everyone else, id like to do as much possible as I can to get myself as well prepared as I can do (where it’s possible at least).

Enjoy your weekend all the same bud, and good luck with your application.

That’s fair and I understand that some people feel that it would be willingly giving a “competitor” an advantage that they didn’t have themselves.

On the flip side, if I personally had completed that stage of the assessment and someone asked me, I don’t think I’d mind sending them the papers....(and I’m happy for anyone to hold me to that when/if I get done myself!).

I don’t see it any differently to the questions other people have already asked (and has answered) about what tests were conducted during the Stage 1 assessment. You could argue that those answers have allowed people to be more prepared than people who didn’t have that knowledge before - but no fuss was made about sharing that info!

Each to their own and I didn’t mean to cause any offence to anyone. Just, like everyone else, id like to do as much possible as I can to get myself as well prepared as I can do (where it’s possible at least).

Enjoy your weekend all the same bud, and good luck with your application.

My apologies, maybe i was a bit harsh, you have a right to post here and i guess if people want to help you and send you the papers then that's up to them. However, the papers I just sat with EMT did have boxes for both score attained in the test and ranking vs your peers, adding weight to my belief that emt's enhanced pass is actually a set number of people they would like to interview.

I would also agree with the earlier post, the amount you can improve from practice is minimal and on top of that the booklet they give you is particularly useless.

TramWayne

My apologies, maybe i was a bit harsh, you have a right to post here and i guess if people want to help you and send you the papers then that's up to them. However, the papers I just sat with EMT did have boxes for both score attained in the test and ranking vs your peers, adding weight to my belief that emt's enhanced pass is actually a set number of people they would like to interview.

I would also agree with the earlier post, the amount you can improve from practice is minimal and on top of that the booklet they give you is particularly useless.

If you think it’s useless then why not send it to him?

LuckyT

The thing is, the companies that send you here are doing it at the expense of themselves and they want to have every chance to get people through to interviews to get the best people they can.

They also send out the relevant practice materials aswell (my TOC did anyway) so if you weren't supposed to practice or get acquainted to the process they wouldn't be doing this. Every little helps, the tests aren't easy but they're a hell of a lot easier than what they used to be.

Dynamonic

I feel I need to step in here to say that although the Practice Material is not useless, I feel it is at it’s best on your first attempt at using it, which ideally would be close to your assessment.

I feel it is most effective to you at the time the TOC sends it to you. (I believe the OPC suggest that you have it a week before the assessment, according to a pre-check you do at Stage 1.)

The thing is, you have only one set of practices for each test, which are mildly similar but often bear little resemblance to the real thing.
Once you’ve done them...you’ve done them and you know the answers. There’s no going back from that.

The idea of the Practice Material is to give you a feel of what the tests will be like on the day, and the closer to the test you do them, the better that ‘feel’ and effectiveness will be.

For those doing the tests in January, I would strongly recommend that you use this forum to help you prepare and not attempt the practice material just yet, otherwise it would have lost it’s effect and purpose by the time your tests roll around.

Can I also remind everyone that we may be potential colleagues in the not too distant future if all goes well! :D
A great practice for this is to have an atmosphere of respect, support and encouragement for one another, otherwise the Depot will be no fun whatsoever in the future.
There will be more than one vacancy and EMT will no doubt want solid, caring team players to fill them! :D

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:

baz962

Established Member
The thing is, the companies that send you here are doing it at the expense of themselves and they want to have every chance to get people through to interviews to get the best people they can.

They also send out the relevant practice materials aswell (my TOC did anyway) so if you weren't supposed to practice or get acquainted to the process they wouldn't be doing this. Every little helps, the tests aren't easy but they're a hell of a lot easier than what they used to be.

To be honest mate I do not agree I don't think they care about the money, I applied for this and didn't get past the first sift despite passing the psychometric test's with Govia to an enhanced level so I would only have to do group test's and dmi.

Dynamonic

Anyone know what stage 2 involves??

According to the Awareness Event video a few pages back, it's said to include group exercises and a series of speed interviews.

It's a first for the Depot Driver recruitment process, so we would be the first to experience it so to speak. Therefore, no one will know for certain what it would entail.
I'd imagine it would involve group debates and discussions, plus a series of timed interviews with the recruitment team.

We might learn more about it when the Stage 2 invites go out. (Anyone else getting nervous now, with Stage 1 results looming?) :lol:

EastMidsMatt

According to the Awareness Event video a few pages back, it's said to include group exercises and a series of speed interviews.

It's a first for the Depot Driver recruitment process, so we would be the first to experience it so to speak. Therefore, no one will know for certain what it would entail.
I'd imagine it would involve group debates and discussions, plus a series of timed interviews with the recruitment team.

We might learn more about it when the Stage 2 invites go out. (Anyone else getting nervous now, with Stage 1 results looming?) :lol:
Ok thanks for your quick reply!

I've been told that I passed stage 1 but no info on the next stage as yet. This is a torturous process indeed!

Dynamonic

Ok thanks for your quick reply!

I've been told that I passed stage 1 but no info on the next stage as yet. This is a torturous process indeed!

Oh right! Proper nervous now! :lol: Everytime my Email goes ping, my heart goes! :lol:

According to the timescales on the job description, Stage 2 should take place on Friday 10th November. (The only stage where a specific day is given)

And...CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU!!! <:D

Last edited:

Markdev

Congratulations Mattvick on stage 2.
I messed up this time around on the glop ticked wrong boxes,had to rub the answers out and go back, and ran out of time.
Hopefully next time

EastMidsMatt

I messed up this time around on the glop ticked wrong boxes,had to rub the answers out and go back, and ran out of time.
Hopefully next time
Thanks.
I found I had to really check I was marking the correct answer. Good luck for next time!

Dynamonic

Hopefully next time

Sorry to hear about that Markdev. Have you had your results back too then?
I think Glop was the weakest one for me too. A few questions towards the end were very similar to earlier ones, which made me go back and double check my answers, but I still managed to finish in time and am reasonably confident about it.
Hopefully I won't have to wait much longer now to find out how I did. It's getting painful now I know it's close. (I did mine Friday) :smile:

Markdev

Sorry to hear about that Markdev. Have you had your results back too then?
I think Glop was the weakest one for me too. A few questions towards the end were very similar to earlier ones, which made me go back and double check my answers, but I still managed to finish in time.
Hopefully I won't have to wait much longer now to find out. (I did mine Friday) :smile:
Hi mate I’ve not had them back yet but I knew straight away I messed up. When I turned the page after question 10 I automatically went to the next column to put my answers which if I remember right was question 15 onwards so I put the answer for 11 in box 15 then after a while realised and had to go back my own fault probably for trying to rush, I must admit it was my weakest too so with the mess up and struggling slightly it didn’t feel too promising.
Good luck with yours dynamonic I hope you too get the news you want

Dynamonic

Hi mate I’ve not had them back yet but I knew straight away I messed up. When I turned the page after question 10 I automatically went to the next column to put my answers which if I remember right was question 15 onwards so I put the answer for 11 in box 15 then after a while realised and had to go back my own fault probably for trying to rush, I must admit it was my weakest too so with the mess up and struggling slightly it didn’t feel too promising.
Good luck with yours dynamonic I hope you too get the news you want

Oh, man! What a cruel thing to happen! :frown: On a positive note, you're not negatively marked for any incorrect/missed answers on the glop test, so hopefully, that might go in your favour if you performed well on the other questions and didn't leave too many blank, depending on where the pass mark is set.

Good luck to you Markdev! :)

Markdev

Oh, man! What a cruel thing to happen! :frown: On a positive note, you're not negatively marked for any incorrect/missed answers on the glop test, so hopefully, that might go in your favour if you performed well on the other questions and didn't miss too many blank, depending on where the pass mark is set.

Good luck to you Markdev! :)
Cheers buddy

Congratulations to those who have heard about advancing on to the next stage today.
I also did my stage 1 on the 25th and just received the email informing me that I passed stage one.

I have everything crossed for you all and I hope you also find out soon!

EastMidsMatt

Congratulations to those who have heard about advancing on to the next stage today.
I also did my stage 1 on the 25th and just received the email informing me that I passed stage one.

I have everything crossed for you all and I hope you also find out soon!
Well done!! Massive sigh of relief at my end, nice bottle of red tonight me thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.