• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

So, about 150 took the tests and that has been condensed to two sessions next Friday. That's a pretty ruthless reduction in numbers twice over.

Time for a haircut and to dust off me best suit.

Dynamonic

So, about 150 took the tests and that has been condensed to two sessions next Friday. That's a pretty ruthless reduction in numbers twice over.

Congratulations Spankthemonkey! :D

I feel really honoured to have made it this far, looking at all the numbers, so a massive well done to everybody who has made it to the next stage! :)

Last edited:

EastMidsMatt

Exactly my thoughts!

Well done to you all and see you on the 10th.

LuckyT

Goodluck on the 10th everyone. If it helps, a good night's sleep the night before is a massive help. Hotel it if ya need to :)

I've just recently secured the role of MDD after missing out on it last year (because of the bourdon test)

I'm Setting off to start the initial training today at Leeds tomorrow. So excited!

Hi guys,

Have we managed to establish whether or not there is a morning session for stage 2 as well as the one at 13:00?

Dynamonic

Hi guys,

Have we managed to establish whether or not there is a morning session for stage 2 as well as the one at 13:00?

I have a feeling there may actually be just the one at 13:00, unless someone posts differently. :) (Either that or the AM session is filled by people not on this forum)

I have a feeling there may actually be just the one at 13:00, unless someone posts differently. :) (Either that or the AM session is filled by people not on this forum)

I agree, from what we have seen on here and through the communications with EMT it does point to stage 2 having everyone that has made it to this stage there at one time.

I am incredibly interested to see how many people are there on the 10th, I think it’s going to shock me how it’s gone from 2000 applicants to a room of people.

EastMidsMatt

Would anyone agree that the hardest part of this process is behind us? I know we still have a lot to get through, and I'm not saying the remaining stages are going to be easy! I really do feel slightly more relaxed about what's coming, whether I still feel like this Thurs night we'll see!!

Raul_Duke

Would anyone agree that the hardest part of this process is behind us? I know we still have a lot to get through, and I'm not saying the remaining stages are going to be easy! I really do feel slightly more relaxed about what's coming, whether I still feel like this Thurs night we'll see!!

No mate, to be honest, it gets increasingly hard up until the time you pass out. You just have to keep going and you’ll be fine.

EastMidsMatt

No mate, to be honest, it gets increasingly hard up until the time you pass out. You just have to keep going and you’ll be fine.
I was thinking specifically about the application process rather than the training. I have no doubt that the training will be intense and the pressure will be on most definitely!

Raul_Duke

I was thinking specifically about the application process rather than the training. I have no doubt that the training will be intense and the pressure will be on most definitely!

I wasn’t referring to the training specifically.

I’m sure everyone is different, but the next lot of tests + interviews (including DMI) are a lot more intense than looking at dots or reading a phonebook in a lift.

Plus you lot have got that team interview thing at the academy that we never had.

EastMidsMatt

Perhaps I am enjoying my red wine a little too much and feeling quite relaxed reading through this forum! I am sure the nerves will kick in nearer the time. I think it helps not really knowing what to expect from the next stage as everyone is in the same boat so you can can only turn up and be yourself. If that's not what they're looking for then you can walk away knowing that you've done your best.

Dynamonic

It's hard to say what Stage 2 is going to be like, or what is going to be looked for in us on Friday, as no one has done it before.
From the email, it's important to be enthusiastic about the role (I think we all pass there, right? :lol:) and 'Open minded'. All we can do is be ourselves, as MattVick just said.

The DMI at Stage 3 is definitely the biggest hurdle, from what I can see with recent recruitment for this role, and the Multi-Modal Interview (MMI) at Stage 4 is quite tough too. (Although EMT says Stage 4 now has a 96% pass rate since they started doing the DMI at Stage 3, before the Stage 4 computer tests and MMI)

I would disagree about stage 1.

Those that passed stage 1 passed because they had the skills to do so. We probably would have done even without any practice. Black and white, right or wrong, we were the best candidates of the 2000+.

The DMI has far more variables and is quite subjective. These days, in the interest of fairness etc each DMI is suppodedly the same and each candidate is asked the same question and marked on their answers. In reality, interviewers can wander off on tangents and if they don't like you will make your life tricky.

The hardest part in my oppinion is the sift. Tricky to grab the attention of the HR team on an application form.

EastMidsMatt

I would disagree about stage 1.

Those that passed stage 1 passed because they had the skills to do so. We probably would have done even without any practice. Black and white, right or wrong, we were the best candidates of the 2000+.

The DMI has far more variables and is quite subjective. These days, in the interest of fairness etc each DMI is suppodedly the same and each candidate is asked the same question and marked on their answers. In reality, interviewers can wander off on tangents and if they don't like you will make your life tricky.

The hardest part in my oppinion is the sift. Tricky to grab the attention of the HR team on an application form.
Some valid points. The DMI, if I'm lucky enough to get that far, is definitely a tricky one.

EastMidsMatt

I've had an email confirming there is a morning session 9.30 - 12.00 and the afternoon session 13.00-16.00. Not sure why the afternoon is half an hour longer!

Dynamonic

Wow! All you can do is bring your A-Game, and hopefully, that’ll see you to Stage 3. :D

It’s interesting that no one on here got an AM session. It shows the numbers have been thinned out quite a bit now.

Good luck everyone! :)

Last edited:

Max287

I've had an email confirming there is a morning session 9.30 - 12.00 and the afternoon session 13.00-16.00. Not sure why the afternoon is half an hour longer!

Perhaps the morning session is a smaller group?

Habitat

Does anyone know how long depot drivers normally sit in this role for before they are trained as mainline drivers if that is their want and positions are available?

Dynamonic

Does anyone know how long depot drivers normally sit in this role for before they are trained as mainline drivers if that is their want and positions are available?

My understanding is that it depends on the business needs. The Depot Driver information page on the East Midlands Trains Careers site says that it can take a few years, although I have read on here that some people move into a mainline role quite quickly too. I'd imagine it's hard to say for certain, and the experience will be different for everyone.

I've also heard that some people like the Depot Driver role so much, that they actually hold off going mainline.

ExMover

At the moment the wait is about 2 - 2.5 years for Derby, probably quicker at Notts. Things could speed up or slow down. A lot depends on how many external qualified drivers the company takes on. This year they took on a lot of qualified drivers (quite a few from freight) which really slowed things down. That’s why some depot drivers are leaving for freight and vacancies have arisen at the depots. Depot driving is a great job and a good grounding for eventual mainline duties; of course, you’ll actually be driving on the mainline on every shift, just not very far! The course is a full mainline course just without a massive load of route learning. And yes, it is true as well that some drivers are happy to stay as depot drivers - it’s good money without as much pressure as full mainline duties. You don’t have to make a song and dance about it though. When the mainline (internal) slots are advertised (which are allocated by seniority), you just don’t apply, thus keeping your seniority if you want to go for it next time. Obviously any safety of the line, disciplinary issues or excessive sick leave WILL hold you back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.