• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stjimmy87

Ahh I passed stage 1 with EMT in 2016 and the rest of the tests with OPC when going for a job at Northern, heres hoping they are all up to scratch!

This thread will be 30+ page effort guarenteed!

The 2015 intake they had 700 applicants and 150 sat stage one incidentally.

Dynamonic

I passed Stage 1 in 2013 (with EMT) but failed the Stage 2 MMI on one question. I too, am hoping EMT will honour my Stage 1. lol

It is true that EMT require an enhanced pass standard.

There were loads of people in my Stage 1 (about 40), but less than 10 for Stage 2 when I went for it in 2013. That speaks volumes about the need to prepare for this role!!! ;)

I passed Stage 1 in 2013 (with EMT) but failed the Stage 2 MMI on one question. I too, am hoping EMT will honour my Stage 1. lol

There were loads of people in my Stage 1 (about 40), but less than 10 for Stage 2 when I went for it in 2013. That speaks volumes about the need to prepare for this role!!! ;)

OpC will tell you that your stage 1 pass is still technically valid till 2018, 5 years is the official time. But it is up to each individual toc how long they allow....

Preparation is an interesting point. The tests test non-technical skills crucial to the role, things that are not designed to be learned but you either can and can't do, like concentration, coordination, multitasking and memory. Now you can practice but the marginal gain would be miniscule, hundreds of hours for a 1% improvement. But if that's what it takes....

Ffs, the Derby telegraph has run a piece on the job today, means that HR will get even more flooded. It's reminiscent of the VTEC recruitment last year, big PR exercise.

baz962

Established Member

I passed stage one for govia in june and the opc said that they are one of the companies that require a high enhanced pass, stage two I passed in july and the opc said that stage two are not done to an enhanced, hope that helps.

Dynamonic

I wouldn't worry about the number of applicants.
Remember, just by being on this forum, you've already put yourself far ahead the average applicant.

Most people underestimate what the driver role actually involves.

When I sat my Stage 1, the gasps I could hear, and the faces I saw, when people first opened up the Group Bourdon papers. Wow! It said a lot about how I was in a good place in comparison to most of the others, just by knowing what to expect. (You'll see what I mean when you sit those tests yourselves.)

Last edited:

baz962

Established Member
I wouldn't worry about the number of applicants.
Remember, just by being on this forum, you've already put yourself far ahead the average applicant.

Most people underestimate what the driver role actually involves.

When I sat my Stage 1, the gasps I could hear, and the faces I saw, when people opened up the Group Bourdon papers, told me plenty about about how I was in a good place in comparison to most of the others. (You'll see what I mean when you sit those tests yourselves.)

Apparently only 20 to 40 percent pass all the test's.

wawaw

Had a quick look at the application form. 200 words to answer some of the questions seems very little!

Dynamonic

Had a quick look at the application form. 200 words to answer some of the questions seems very little!

I agree! It's not a lot. I did endless amounts of tweaking on my answers to get them to fit. Most of my answers were completed with 0 words remaining, and with what I felt were important details missing too.

I imagine you'd be asked to expand on some of these at the DMI, and they just want some form of 'summary' at this stage.

A few abreviations here and there and the word count was matched. "Could not have" became "couldn't've" for example!

best298

Hello everyone, help!! do anyone know, where I can find out what sort of test it is, in these assessments stages?

Dynamonic

Hello everyone, help!! do anyone know, where I can find out what sort of test it is, in these assessments stages?

Have a look at the 'Becoming a Train Driver' thread stickied at the top.

For this role, you are required to pass all the Train Driver tests to mainline standard.

That thread will give you loads of insight into what to expect.

Also, if you are shortlisted to the assessment stages, you will be sent practice material to aid you in your preparation for the tests.

Good luck with your application! :D

Have you been told you passed the sift? Has anyone been told? Emt have form for sending out invites before the job advert actually closes. Generally the write ups on these pages concerning the HR department are very positive when conpared to the general standard of railway HR. EMT in general seem to know what they're about. Mind, other posters on here will probably shoot me down in flames....

Dynamonic

I've not heard anything yet, and am not expecting to until after the 13th.

I would expect though that the shortlisting process is ongoing as we speak, due to the number of applicants, and we'll find out how we did very shortly after the closing date.

I'd imagine it would be frowned upon for people to start receiving practice material, when people are still filling in application forms. (Unless of course EMT have a hidden cut-off point for a second wave of assessment dates)

Last edited:

Val3ntine

Baz I believe you have already passed all the national assesments to GTR’s enhanced standard. The depot driver tests are the same. EMT also have an enhanced pass requirement wether they are higher or lower than GTR of course no one knows so might be worth just going over all the assesments you’ve already done just in case you have to do one or two again. Also EMT might have an additional test unique to them they might require you to sit, you will know once you get practice material.

baz962

Established Member
Baz I believe you have already passed all the national assesments to GTR’s enhanced standard. The depot driver tests are the same. EMT also have an enhanced pass requirement wether they are higher or lower than GTR of course no one knows so might be worth just going over all the assesments you’ve already done just in case you have to do one or two again. Also EMT might have an additional test unique to them they might require you to sit, you will know once you get practice material.

Are you getting best and Baz mixed up mate lol. Where are you at valentine didn't you get a job offer .

Dynamonic

I've just watched an interesting video filmed last week at an EMT Depot Driver recruitment event. (I didn't know there was one? o_O)

Might be worth a watch.

The highlight of the video is an explanation of the recruitment stages mentioned in the job description, which differ slightly from previous recruitment drives. These are:

Stage 1: Stage 1 OPC Assessments
(Paper tests)
(Top 25% of applicants expected to be invited)

Stage 2: EMT Assessment Centre, including group exercises and flash interviews.

Stage 3: DMI (Driver Manager Interview)

Stage 4: Stage 2 OPC Assessments (Computerised tests, SJE and MMI)

Good luck again to everyone who applied! :D

baz962

Established Member
I've just watched an interesting video filmed last week at an EMT Depot Driver recruitment event. (I didn't know there was one? o_O)

Might be worth a watch.

The highlight of the video is an explanation of the recruitment stages mentioned in the job description, which differ slightly from previous recruitment drives. These are:

Stage 1: Stage 1 OPC Assessments
(Paper tests)
(Top 25% of applicants expected to be invited)

Stage 2: EMT Assessment Centre, including group exercises and flash interviews.

Stage 3: DMI (Driver Manager Interview)

Stage 4: Stage 2 OPC Assessments (Computerised tests, SJE and MMI)

Good luck again to everyone who applied! :D

What do you think the timeline is or how do they decide who top 25% are before testing .

Dynamonic

The top 25% are determined by the answers in the competency questions in the application form.
Each answer is graded out of 3 (with a '2' regarded as 'Meeting' the linked train driver competency.)

I imagine the timeframes remain unchanged for now. With Stage 1 taking place after the 25th.

Notice is going to be short if EMT stick to the time plan. :lol:

baz962

Established Member
The top 25% are determined by the answers in the competency questions in the application form.
Each answer is graded out of 3 (with a '2' regarded as 'Meeting' the linked train driver competency.)

I imagine the timeframes remain unchanged for now. With Stage 1 taking place after the 25th.

Notice is going to be short if EMT stick to the time plan. :lol:

Blimey I don't remember these questions Oops lol

Dynamonic

You can still access your application to view what you put before any future interview.

Just log back into the EMT careers page and your application will be on the first page once you log in.

baz962

Established Member
You can still access your application to view what you put before any future interview.

Just log back into the EMT careers page and your application will be on the first page once you log in.

Have you applied mate

Status
Not open for further replies.