• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hopefuldriver

I'm pretty much giving up in terms of today....surely it should be tommorow
I’m just gonna try and not think about it. Looking at the original dates, it could easily be next week.
Look on the bright side.
We haven’t failed until they ring us. lol

Dynamonic

If it’s anything like ours, you’ll all get your results via Email at the same time, whether successful or unsuccessful.

You’ll get your results when details of the next stage are finalised, most likely.
I would think you will all know either way VERY shortly though.

hopefuldriver

If it’s anything like ours, you’ll all get your results via Email at the same time, whether successful or unsuccessful.

You’ll get your results when details of the next stage are finalised, most likely.
I would think you will all know either way VERY shortly though.

That’s a surprise.
I kind of thought it would be a call if you passsed and an email if you didn’t.
Thanks for the info.

Dynamonic

The phonecall comes when you’re being lifted out of the Talent Pool onto a course.
It’s because there’s quite a few applicants, and you all have to be split into groups ready for the next stage.
Phone calls are too complicated to smoothly organise at this stage, particularly as each call would be lengthy

As I’m in the Talent Pool at the moment, all my correspondence had been via email, even the ‘You’re in the Talent Pool’ news! (Which is probably the greatest Email I have ever received in my life! :D (At the moment) )

Last edited:

Paul472426

I think I read somewhere that it’s around 16 weeks for the Trainee rate, with training broken down into 3 months of classroom learning and a month of handling.
I’m on the course now, day 4, we initially have 9 weeks booked in and around class with rules and suchlike with some visits to appropriate places, then a week holiday, and then we come back to do traction and then out to depot to learn about your location ending up with mentoring. It’s 16-18 weeks training period. Good stuff so far, enjoying it, but haven’t got down to any nitty gritty stuff yet.

stjimmy87

Reports of a large, developed fire at Nottingham Station:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-42660181

Really hoping that everyone is safe, and that it of course, doesn’t have a negative impact on this Depot Driver recruitment drive, particularly for those aiming to go to Nottingham. :(

Looks like the fire is in the main concourse so trains will still run from the station (eventually) once they have made sure there's no structural damage to the bridge.........at a guess! Hope everyone is safe and well

stjimmy87

Get in!!!!! Through to stage 2! Know there's along way to go but I genuinely though I had buggered up my chances in the glop test.

Dynamonic

Congratulations to those of you who are successfully progressing through Stage One! :)

Enjoy the rest now before the intensity of the next three stages! :D

hopefuldriver

I just got the email you didn’t want.
Not got the gritty details yet, but I won’t be seeing you there. Good luck anyway.

hopefuldriver

Really sorry to hear that mate :(

Passed everything to national standard, but did not pass tea-occ to enhanced standard.
(Thought I had cocked up on that part) (I was right)
Still, not ashamed of my efforts, and nothing lost. (Apart from the sweat that ran down the pen doing the group bourdon test :lol:)
I sincerely wish you guys the best of luck, and hope that I’ll get the chance to catch you up in 6 months or more.

The One

Realise this that on the railway recruitment is very very slow it’s always been like this but do your self a favour stop worrying what will be will be and when you least expect it you get the news and hopefully good.Good luck to all that applied but my only advice to you all is be patient

stjimmy87

"Why do you want to be a depot driver?"

The most simple question surely?....

Of course the wage, pension and benefits are good but its chance to have a job that carries a lot of responsibility and the pride of being able to say you are a train driver (sort of). I like the idea of being a depot driver as it gives me the opportunity to learn everything about the rolling stock and also if it breaks down you aren't miles from nowhere. Plus I enjoy the different shifts.

What did any of you say when asked this?

Of course the wage, pension and benefits are good but its chance to have a job that carries a lot of responsibility and the pride of being able to say you are a train driver (sort of). I like the idea of being a depot driver as it gives me the opportunity to learn everything about the rolling stock and also if it breaks down you aren't miles from nowhere. Plus I enjoy the different shifts.

Cos the male train drivers get the pick of the female platform staff surely?

In all seriousness, that really is a question only you can craft the answer for. I'm not sure the wage etc is something you'd mention in tbe first line of ur answer, but i agree, it's worth a mention - shows ur honest.

Scouse_scott

In all seriousness, that really is a question only you can craft the answer for. I'm not sure the wage etc is something you'd mention in tbe first line of ur answer, but i agree, it's worth a mention - shows ur honest.

Personally I'd avoid mentioning the wage. Nothing wrong with being honest but you are opening yourself up for the mamager to think, would this candidate then choose another job because he was offered better pay? Would he change to another toc if they paid better?

It's a banana skin that you can easily avoid by not mentioning it.

Dynamonic

I talked about my lifelong ambitions to be a Mainline Driver, (although stressed I knew it could take time to get there), then linked myself to the EMT values and the positives of the Depot Driver role.
To be honest, money really isn't the reason I went for it (Although it obviously is a massive plus, I'd still go for this job if it paid quite a bit less), and as mentioned by Scouse-scott and Spankthemonkey, I really would not recommend talking about it during your interviews. :)

Scouse_scott

I talked about my lifelong ambitions to be a Mainline Driver, (although stressed I knew it could take time to get there), then linked myself to the EMT values and the positives of the Depot Driver role.
To be honest, money really isn't the reason I went for it (Although it obviously is a massive plus, I'd go for this job if it paid a lot less), and as mentioned by Scouse-scott and Spankthemonkey, I really would not recommend talking about it during your interviews. :)

I can't agree more, these are definitely the things you need to be talking about in your interview

Raul_Duke

I want to improve my darts arm, and I love watching the films of Steven Seagal in a draughty Portakabin at 3am on a Sunday morning after a few bracing lungsfull of HST smoke.

I want to improve my darts arm, and I love watching the films of Steven Seagal in a draughty Portakabin at 3am on a Sunday morning after a few bracing lungsfull of HST smoke.

Lol. Under seige 3, the battle of Eastcroft? A sleep deprived depot driver takes ona a mob of blood thirsty terrorists hell-bent on taking over a 156?

Personally I'd avoid mentioning the wage. Nothing wrong with being honest but you are opening yourself up for the mamager to think, would this candidate then choose another job because he was offered better pay? Would he change to another toc if they paid better?

It's a banana skin that you can easily avoid by not mentioning it.

Are we talking speed interview or dmi here? In the speed interview i gave it a miss but it got a mention in the dmi.

This question is also an opportunity to sell urself, turn the question on its head and answer "i applied because i feel i have the right skills, experiences and aptitudes to do the job: these are......"

Personal betterment and development, including earning more money, is not a bad thing and i believe shows the right characteristics, but it must not be one's only or main motivation.

stjimmy87

I wont lie, when I first looked into the role it was the money that attracted me but these days its become more about the potential honour of doing the job. Given how competitive the application process is and the amount of learning and hard work needed to become a driver. Its potentially a great sense of pride and achievement.

Speaking of those speed interviews, is it true its similar to a speed date but with the same level of awkwardness?

Status
Not open for further replies.