• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellb123

Hi all, I managed to get through to the DMI in March but sadly failed that, I’ve asked twice for feedback now which I’m yet to receive, anyone have any ideas how I should go about finding feedback or would it be too late now
Sorry to hear about your managers interview. For me it took 3 attempts to pass this. All I can suggest is keep at it and learn from each experience and you’ll get there. I tried to get feedback and found it very difficult too, best bet is to contact the talent team as I believe they normally sort this out.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clive0121

Many thanks, I’ll keep my eyes open for the role coming up again and hopefully I’ll get further next time.

Top Link

Hi guys, have managed to secure an MMI Interview with another TOC - I've looked over this forum and it seems to be the same 6 questions coming up so have prepared for them. I'm also getting conflicting advice saying that they may well ask me why I want to become a train driver, what I know about the company etc. I always thought these questions were at the DMI, would you guys be able to clarify for me please?

Dynamonic

Hi Top Link, and well done on securing another MMI!

With both my MMI attempts, I was asked exactly the same questions. However, it is possible you may also be asked additional questions, but they tend to be linked to the answers you give.
Definitely no harm in being prepared for all eventualities though!

Good luck mate! :)

Top Link

Hi Top Link, and well done on securing another MMI!

With both my MMI attempts, I was asked exactly the same questions. However, it is possible you may also be asked additional questions, but they tend to be linked to the answers you give.
Definitely no harm in being prepared for all eventualities though!

Good luck mate! :)

Thanks Dynamonic :)

It's my first MMI (didn't pass the DMI at EMT so never got to MMI stage). So you think the follow up questions are likely to be along the lines of 'what would you do differently', 'how did you feel' etc rather than 'what do you know about this company', 'what types of units do we operate' etc?

Have you got a start date yet matey? (Or indeed have you started already)?

Dynamonic

Thanks Dynamonic :)

It's my first MMI (didn't pass the DMI at EMT so never got to MMI stage). So you think the follow up questions are likely to be along the lines of 'what would you do differently', 'how did you feel' etc rather than 'what do you know about this company', 'what types of units do we operate' etc?

Have you got a start date yet matey? (Or indeed have you started already)?

Exactly those sorts of questions!
The MMI is conducted by the OPC as opposed to the TOC you applied for, you see, so they’ll be more interested in how you relate to the driver competencies such as safety, following rules and procedures etc. at this stage.

Just some tips for you:

Remember ‘STAR’ when giving your answers. This stands for ‘Situation, Task, Action, Result.’ By structuring your answers this way, it should make it a little easier for you to give smoother, clearer and more detailed answers.

Remember all the little details, such as timings of the situations. The more detail you give, the clearer it will be for the interviewer. You want to put the interviewer in your shoes. They want to know how you were feeling, what was going through your mind. Etc. Which leads me to my final point...

Don’t over-embellish your examples or lie. You’re highly unlikely to be able to provide a high scoring example if there are any falsities in your answers. The details they ask for are enough to catch the most hardened fabricator out! :lol:

Finally, you’ll know what the main questions are prior to your interview, as you’ll be asked to fill out brief answers to them at the start of your assessment day.
Write your best example down for each one and use the spare time after to think of back-up ones just in case the interviewer asks for a second example. (They may do this if your first example is not quite hitting the mark)

I start on 2nd July Top Link! Can’t wait!

Good luck buddy! :)

Hi guys, have managed to secure an MMI Interview with another TOC - I've looked over this forum and it seems to be the same 6 questions coming up so have prepared for them. I'm also getting conflicting advice saying that they may well ask me why I want to become a train driver, what I know about the company etc. I always thought these questions were at the DMI, would you guys be able to clarify for me please?

Yep, my first mmi years ago in Watford, she asked "so, why train driving" first up. I saw a marking sheet from an mmi recently and it really is an overall impression and a set number of skills need to be evidenced and ticked off. Your answer to "why driving" could contribute to your overall pass. I've passed it twice now, the second time I literally just got 6 questions and any attempts at interaction ot banter that you try in an interview to get a rapore were firmly rebuffed. Depends on how the interviewer is feeling.

LaursP

Hi guys,

Just a few questions for those who are starting in July- is it just you Dynamonic?

When did you have your medical? Was it before you handed your notice in to your current employer? What did they test / check?
I read on one forum that they want a BMI of under 28, are they strict on this? If so I’ll need to get losing weight

What else have EMT done / given you to prepare for your start date? Is there lots of pre-course info to learn?

Wen did you get confirmation they were formally offering you a job? So far everything has been pretty late notice so wondering if this was the same- I’m on an 8 week notice period at work so am hoping I’ll have enough time between being formally offered a course and starting to hand my notice in without ruffling a lot of feathers!

Which depot did you decide to go to? Or do you choose after your initial classroom 16 weeks training?

Thank you for any insight into these answers,

Good luck for next week!

Laura.

Hi guys,

Just a few questions for those who are starting in July- is it just you Dynamonic?

When did you have your medical? Was it before you handed your notice in to your current employer? What did they test / check?
I read on one forum that they want a BMI of under 28, are they strict on this? If so I’ll need to get losing weight

What else have EMT done / given you to prepare for your start date? Is there lots of pre-course info to learn?

Wen did you get confirmation they were formally offering you a job? So far everything has been pretty late notice so wondering if this was the same- I’m on an 8 week notice period at work so am hoping I’ll have enough time between being formally offered a course and starting to hand my notice in without ruffling a lot of feathers!

Which depot did you decide to go to? Or do you choose after your initial classroom 16 weeks training?

Thank you for any insight into these answers,

Good luck for next week!

Laura.

Your depot is generally given to you depending on numbers needed I think and dependent on where you live to an extent. You do 11 weeks classroom for Notts and 13 weeks classroom for Derby, then 5 weeks practical at your depot. Just book a holiday for 16 weeks in therefore if you want to go to Nottingham.

Are you down for the course which is allegedly happening in the autumn?

Dynamonic

Hi there LaursP,

When a course is about to be confirmed, you will probably get an email asking for you to confirm your notice period and preferred depot. I believe this is so they can prepare to give you adequate notice.
I got this email and was then contacted via phonecall with an official job offer and depot confirmation about a month later. (6 weeks notice. I only needed 4 though)

When you accept the offer, you’ll then be asked to book your medical and a pre-employment meeting with HR.

You will be told not to hand your notice in until you have successfully passed your medical.
Your medical will take place in Leicester, and you will have tests on your blood pressure, an ECG, hearing test, eyesight/colour blindness test, BMI. Plus, a urine sample will be taken for drugs testing.
You will generally be advised on the day if there are any issues with your medical, but you should wait for an email confirmation, as the results from your urinalysis will take a few days to come through.
Your BMI should be as close to normal as possible. I believe official RSSB guidelines state that your BMI should be lower than 33, but it is possible different companies require a lower BMI. I’m not sure if EMT have their own limit. Mine was 26 on the day and the nurse seemed happy with that.
Once you get the all-clear email from your medical, you’re free to hand your notice in. (Usually a week after the medical)

At your pre-employment meeting with HR, (Derby Head Office) you will provide proof of your right to work and officially provide your signed contract and policy documents (these would have been emailed to you shortly after your offer phone call)
HR will discuss employee benefits with you and basically check you’re happy with everything.

A few weeks before your start date, you’ll be invited to a pre-course meetup too at the Academy.
Here, you will meet the trainer and other people on your course.
It’s your chance to ask about the course, and you’ll be provided with advice on how to get through it too!
Here, you’ll be provided with some pre-course learning to help give you a head start. :)

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

stjimmy87

Hi there LaursP,

When a course is about to be confirmed, you will probably get an email asking for you to confirm your notice period and preferred depot. I believe this is so they can prepare to give you adequate notice.
I got this email and was then contacted via phonecall with an official job offer and depot confirmation about a month later. (6 weeks notice. I only needed 4 though)

When you accept the offer, you’ll then be asked to book your medical and a pre-employment meeting with HR.

You will be told not to hand your notice in until you have successfully passed your medical.
Your medical will take place in Leicester, and you will have tests on your blood pressure, an ECG, hearing test, eyesight/colour blindness test, BMI. Plus, a urine sample will be taken for drugs testing.
You will generally be advised on the day if there are any issues with your medical, but you should wait for an email confirmation, as the results from your urinalysis will take a few days to come through.
Your BMI should be as close to normal as possible. I believe official RSSB guidelines state that your BMI should be lower than 33, but it is possible different companies require a lower BMI. I’m not sure if EMT have their own limit. Mine was 26 on the day and the nurse seemed happy with that.
Once you get the all-clear email from your medical, you’re free to hand your notice in. (Usually a week after the medical)

At your pre-employment meeting with HR, (Derby Head Office) you will provide proof of your right to work and officially provide your signed contract and policy documents (these would have been emailed to you shortly after your offer phone call)
HR will discuss employee benefits with you and basically check you’re happy with everything.

A few weeks before your start date, you’ll be invited to a pre-course meetup too at the Academy.
It’s your chance to ask about the course, and you’ll be provided with advice on how to get through it too!
Here, you’ll be provided with some pre-course learning to help give you a head start. :)

Awesome :) Can't wait for all that.

Ellb123

Awesome :) Can't wait for all that.
Hi there LaursP,

Great info there Dynamonic!! was the number they ring you on a Derbyshire number? Only reason I’m asking is, I get a lot of nusence calls and wouldn’t want to mistaken EMT for one of these

Dynamonic

Great info there Dynamonic!! was the number they ring you on a Derbyshire number? Only reason I’m asking is, I get a lot of nusence calls and wouldn’t want to mistaken EMT for one of these

I know what you mean! I was answering all sorts of nuisance calls just in case it was them! :lol:
My call eventually came through from a mobile number. However, like you said, EMT also use ‘01332’ numbers, so keep an eye out for one of those too! :)

Ellb123

I know what you mean! I was answering all sorts of nuisance calls just in case it was them! :lol:
My call eventually came through from a mobile number. However, like you said, EMT also use ‘01332’ numbers, so keep an eye out for one of those too! :)
That’s good to know. I think the next course was around November so I won’t be expecting it anytime soon. Let’s hope these months don’t drag haha.All the best for July 2nd. Keep us posted how you are getting on!

stjimmy87

That’s good to know. I think the next course was around November so I won’t be expecting it anytime soon. Let’s hope these months don’t drag haha.All the best for July 2nd. Keep us posted how you are getting on!

Its been over 2 months since the final assessment and that's flow by so hopefully the next few months will :)

Dynamonic

Thank you very much matey! The waiting can be tough at times, but your patience will certainly be worth it when that call comes out the blue! :D

LaursP

Your depot is generally given to you depending on numbers needed I think and dependent on where you live to an extent. You do 11 weeks classroom for Notts and 13 weeks classroom for Derby, then 5 weeks practical at your depot. Just book a holiday for 16 weeks in therefore if you want to go to Nottingham.

Are you down for the course which is allegedly happening in the autumn?

Thanks for your reply,
I’m hoping for the next course but no idea to be honest. I got the email asking about notice period and preferred depot the day afternoon I got told I’d made it through all the testing so was maybe being heated up for the July course but it wouldn’t have worked for me personally so I asked to defer, which they obliged.
Good idea to book a holiday after all the training- it sounds quite intense!

Thank you,
Laura.

LaursP

Hi there LaursP,

Thank you Dynamonic, such a brilliantly in-depth reply!

I got the email to ask about depot preference and notice period the day after I got told I made it through all the tests but I couldn’t do the July course for personal reasons, so now I’m back waiting!

The whole process seems quite organised, which is good, but does seem to be quite a long process (suppose it has to be!). The Medical sounds pretty much what I expected. Wow, a BMI of 33 is more than I thought, maybe the diet can wait joking aside- it’s good to know they were happy with a BMI of 26 especially because it’s outside of the ‘normal’ 20-25.

It’s good to hear that you get to meet up with the other recruits before your course starts, bet it’s a good ice breaker and lots of good information gathering for you too!

How many people are going to be on your course in July? Any women? I’m wondering if I’ll be the only female on the course!

Such an exciting time for you, I’m aure our time will come round quick enough, and you can be there to help us

Thank you,
Laura.

Dynamonic

How many people are going to be on your course in July? Any women? I’m wondering if I’ll be the only female on the course!

I believe there's 10 people on the course; a mix of Derby, Nottingham and Leeds destined trainees. I'm not too sure about females on my course yet, as not everyone was able to attend the pre-course meet, and the ones that did were all male. There are definitely female drivers though, and EMT have been trying to encourage more females to apply, so you'll definitely not be the only one once you're out there on the depot at the very least, and there could well be other females on your course (and mine). :)

Last edited:
As for BMI, I'm not sure what it is for women, but at my medical I weighed in at 32 bmi and was given some advice. The only way you will fail based on this at this point is if you tick a succession of boxes on bmi, neck size etc which put you at high risk of sleep apnea.

The occy health then attend in week 3 by which point i'd spent 3 weeks on my arse in a classroom eating biscuits and sweets and was looking decidly loaf-faced. We even had a presentation on healthy eating with a free buffet!

The job is actually reasonably physical, lots of walking in heavy shoes and hauling yourself in and out of trains round the yard.

There's a load of depot drivers hoping the November course takes place as the depot rosters are now full so promotions to mainline will have to take place to accommodate another intake.

Top Link

Exactly those sorts of questions!
The MMI is conducted by the OPC as opposed to the TOC you applied for, you see, so they’ll be more interested in how you relate to the driver competencies such as safety, following rules and procedures etc. at this stage.

Just some tips for you:

Remember ‘STAR’ when giving your answers. This stands for ‘Situation, Task, Action, Result.’ By structuring your answers this way, it should make it a little easier for you to give smoother, clearer and more detailed answers.

Remember all the little details, such as timings of the situations. The more detail you give, the clearer it will be for the interviewer. You want to put the interviewer in your shoes. They want to know how you were feeling, what was going through your mind. Etc. Which leads me to my final point...

Don’t over-embellish your examples or lie. You’re highly unlikely to be able to provide a high scoring example if there are any falsities in your answers. The details they ask for are enough to catch the most hardened fabricator out! :lol:

Finally, you’ll know what the main questions are prior to your interview, as you’ll be asked to fill out brief answers to them at the start of your assessment day.
Write your best example down for each one and use the spare time after to think of back-up ones just in case the interviewer asks for a second example. (They may do this if your first example is not quite hitting the mark)

I start on 2nd July Top Link! Can’t wait!

Good luck buddy! :)

Hi Dynamonic,

Wow roll on Monday then, the first day of the rest of your life! I'm very pleased for you buddy, have seen you knocking about the forum for a while so glad you finally got the chance of a lifetime you so deserve! :) Enjoy every minute and let us know how you go on (hopefully I'll be on the rails before too long albeit with another TOC)! Keeping my fingers crossed anyway!

Thanks for that info, it's really good of you to take your time to reply, especially as you must have enough on your plate with your own pre-course material to read through, so cheers for that :) Will be thinking of you all on Monday morning! Very best of luck with it all

Top Link

Yep, my first mmi years ago in Watford, she asked "so, why train driving" first up. I saw a marking sheet from an mmi recently and it really is an overall impression and a set number of skills need to be evidenced and ticked off. Your answer to "why driving" could contribute to your overall pass. I've passed it twice now, the second time I literally just got 6 questions and any attempts at interaction ot banter that you try in an interview to get a rapore were firmly rebuffed. Depends on how the interviewer is feeling.

Hiya,

Haha they'll be no banter from me, I'll be too busy trying to ensure my answers result in a nice solid tick in all of those boxes! Seriously though thanks for your advice, do you mind if I ask why you've had to take it twice? Had more than 2-3 years lapsed between your first and second MMI? Please don't think me nosey, just interested. Have got dates and times of examples I'm using and thinking about responses to potential follow-up questions, can't think what else I can do! :( Am sure there's something

Hiya,

Haha they'll be no banter from me, I'll be too busy trying to ensure my answers result in a nice solid tick in all of those boxes! Seriously though thanks for your advice, do you mind if I ask why you've had to take it twice? Had more than 2-3 years lapsed between your first and second MMI? Please don't think me nosey, just interested. Have got dates and times of examples I'm using and thinking about responses to potential follow-up questions, can't think what else I can do! :( Am sure there's something

Both times i did the mmi i read these forums and thought I had the 6 questions nailed down and when it came to the interview found a question I hadn't prepared for so be careful with that.
Yeah, i passed then failed two dmi's so it went out of validity in two years.

Dynamonic

Thank you Choochoomonkey!
I can’t wait to get started and will definitely make sure I keep glued to that rule book and soak in everything in the classroom! :D

LaursP

Thank you Choochoomonkey!
I can’t wait to get started and will definitely make sure I keep glued to that rule book and soak in everything in the classroom! :D

Indeed- good luck and enjoy!
You’ll have to give mini updates now and again to keep those of us still waiting little bits of excitement while we wait

Status
Not open for further replies.