• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaursP

You'll all train at Derby first. If then based at Nottingham there's a car park that you can get a pass for, free parking!
Oh that’s worth knowing! Is it the same for Derby too if that was my base instead?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dynamonic

In terms of car parking, at the Academy, you'll normally get a temporary permit for you to use throughout your course.
After the Academy, if you're based at Nottingham, you'll park in the multi-storey car park on Queen's Road next to the station. There's always loads of space in there, and until you get your permit, you just get your car park tickets validated at Customer Services when you first come in for your shifts. You'll never pay for parking from Day One. :)
Nottingham's not too bad a drive once you get used to the layout.

LaursP

In terms of car parking, at the Academy, you'll normally get a temporary permit for you to use throughout your course.
After the Academy, if you're based at Nottingham, you'll park in the multi-storey car park on Queen's Road next to the station. There's always loads of space in there, and until you get your permit, you just get your car park tickets validated at Customer Services when you first come in for your shifts. You'll never pay for parking from Day One. :)
Nottingham's not too bad a drive once you get used to the layout.
Sounds good. My current work actively discourages driving, allowing minimal permits and even way car park spaces than permits- then heavily fining people for dodgy parking on staff car parks.

Does anyone happen to know what facilities are like at both depots for cycling / showering / getting changed before / after a shift? I mostly commute via bicycle to my current job so would be happy if I could continue to do it. Distance wise it’s only a couple of extra miles each way.

Thanks.

Rachael92

Not anymore than any other role at EMT, no. A shunter is not in the direct line of promotion to driver anymore than anyone else.
Do you happen to know if you can apply for this role whilst sitting in a talent pool for trainee driver with another toc

Sounds good. My current work actively discourages driving, allowing minimal permits and even way car park spaces than permits- then heavily fining people for dodgy parking on staff car parks.

Does anyone happen to know what facilities are like at both depots for cycling / showering / getting changed before / after a shift? I mostly commute via bicycle to my current job so would be happy if I could continue to do it. Distance wise it’s only a couple of extra miles each way.

Thanks.

Shower and cycle facilities at both depots.

Dynamonic

Spankthemonkey's right! I was informed this week that an advert should be appearing very shortly for more Trainee Depot Drivers, so keep your eyes peeled if you're interested in joining as a Driver! :)

As mentioned above, if you really want to be a driver, then you may as well wait for Driver vacancies to come up. Yes, other railway roles, particularly if they're safety critical will net you some experience that could help you in the recruitment process for the driver role, but equally, you can draw great examples from outside the industry too! There really isn't an advantage. The process is equal whether you're internal or external. :)

stjimmy87

Spankthemonkey's right! I was informed this week that an advert should be appearing very shortly for more Trainee Depot Drivers, so keep your eyes peeled if you're interested in joining as a Driver! :)

As mentioned above, if you really want to be a driver, then you may as well wait for Driver vacancies to come up. Yes, other railway roles, particularly if they're safety critical will net you some experience that could help you in the recruitment process for the driver role, but equally, you can draw great examples from outside the industry too! There really isn't an advantage. The process is equal whether you're internal or external. :)

How's the training going mate?

Dynamonic

How's the training going mate?

It’s going really well so far! :)
This week’s been particularly great! We’ve all been at our home depots doing front end turns (cab rides) with drivers on both the Mainline and on the depot. We not only got a taster of what our role will be like as Depot Drivers, but also experienced a variety of Mainline routes too, putting that real-life experience element to everything we’ve been taught in the classroom. :D

We’ve got 2 weeks of rules learning left now, with two full days of exams to complete on the third week (Week 9). This’ll be followed by a week off before we start our traction training and then off to our home depots with mentors.
We should all qualify by the start of November.

At this stage, there is a mountain of learning to take in and retain now, so all of our PowerPoint slides for everything we’ve done from the beginning until now (you’ll get a big folder full of them when you start) have started to come home with us for revision. :lol:

You’ll see what I mean firsthand before you know it! :D

LaursP

This week’s been particularly great! We’ve all been at our home depots doing front end turns (cab rides) with drivers on both the Mainline and on the depot. We not only got a taster of what our role will be like as Depot Drivers, but also experienced a variety of Mainline routes too, putting that real-life experience element to everything we’ve been taught in the classroom. :D

We’ve got 2 weeks of rules learning left now, with two full days of exams to complete on the third week (Week 9). This’ll be followed by a week off before we start our traction training and then off to our home depots with mentors.

At this stage, there is a mountain of learning to take in and retain now, so all of our PowerPoint slides for everything we’ve done from the beginning until now (you’ll get a big folder full of them when you start) have started to come home with us for revision. :lol:

It sounds like you’re really enjoying it Dynamonic- it sounds great and full on, really can’t wait to get cracking! Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

Dynamonic

Is this a good thing for us already in the talent pool?

If anything, it should give you peace of mind that you’re towards the top of the list for the next intakes. :lol:
There aren’t many people currently in the talent pool, so I expect this next recruitment drive will be to get the talent pool numbers back up ready for intakes in 2019, ready for the next franchise.

stjimmy87

Awesome glad it's going well, love it that you aren't just restricted to a classroom all the time.

LaursP

Just a quick question- what do you wear for the job? Do EMT give you uniform / overalls etc. and is it just casual clothes for the academy based learning or more office wear?

stjimmy87

From what I have been told, its not the blue shirt red tie that the drivers conductors and platform staff wear but more a dark blue polo top and I am not sure about the trousers...this is when it comes to the actual job I am not sure about the classroom uniform!

LaursP

From what I have been told, its not the blue shirt red tie that the drivers conductors and platform staff wear but more a dark blue polo top and I am not sure about the trousers...this is when it comes to the actual job I am not sure about the classroom uniform!
That’s better than I was thinking- when my brother used to be hands on with DB he had to wear a fluorescent orange jumpsuit or trousers / jacket!

Dynamonic

Uniform for Depot Drivers is navy blue polo shirt, Cargo trousers, hi-viz vest and safety boots on a normal day.
You’ll also get a fleece, raincoat, hi-viz waterproof coat and hi-viz waterproof trousers for those dark and wet days! Not cheap stuff either, all proper Regatta branded stuff! (With EMT logos of course)
You will also get a watch (as you’re not allowed smart watches or fitbits in the driving cab) and a hi-viz backpack.

You’ll start wearing your uniform as soon as you get it, which in my case was the end of Week 2.

LaursP

Uniform for Depot Drivers is navy blue polo shirt, Cargo trousers, hi-viz vest and safety boots on a normal day.
You’ll also get a fleece, raincoat, hi-viz waterproof coat and hi-viz waterproof trousers for those dark and wet days! Not cheap stuff either, all proper Regatta branded stuff! (With EMT logos of course)
You will also get a watch (as you’re not allowed smart watches or fitbits in the driving cab) and a hi-viz backpack.

You’ll start wearing your uniform as soon as you get it, which in my case was the end of Week 2.
Wow you get given the full works, and quickly. I’m still waiting for my new uniform- they ordered it over 6 months ago now

LowLevel

Established Member

Once you've got used to the depot driver's gear which is effectively what the engineering and cleaning staff wear you'll soon come crashing back to earth with the rubbish Incorporatewear polyester uniform from China that every one else has to wear :lol:

After quite a few years in the job you never get used to how awful it is in the summer.

LaursP

Hi guys,
Just thought I’d let those of you who are waiting in the talent pool that the start date for the next course is Monday November 19th 2018. I got this information direct from Marie (I was wanting to book a holiday in October and didn’t want to stop my chances of potentially starting this next course if I were to get offered a place).
Marie said she will be looking to finalise the numbers of depot drivers required at each depot over the next month so will be contacting people after then.
Let’s hope some of us hear some good news soon!
Cheers.

Ellb123

Hi guys,
Just thought I’d let those of you who are waiting in the talent pool that the start date for the next course is Monday November 19th 2018. I got this information direct from Marie (I was wanting to book a holiday in October and didn’t want to stop my chances of potentially starting this next course if I were to get offered a place).
Marie said she will be looking to finalise the numbers of depot drivers required at each depot over the next month so will be contacting people after then.
Cheers.
Brilliant to hear a confirmation date from Marie for the next course. Thanks LaursP!! Fingers crossed for everyone in the pool to get that phone call!

stjimmy87

Hi guys,
Cheers.

Awesome! Down for Nottingham so hopefully some spaces!

LaursP

Hi all,
Is there anyone currently working with EMT at the moment able to clarify what employee benefits you get in terms of annual leave, sick pay, any salary sacrifice schemes etc. I’m often told that my NHS sick pay (6 months full and 6 months half pay) and annual leave (33 days plus bank holidays) are very generous- wondered what EMT is like in comparison. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.