• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaursP

Could you not just walk out of the current job?
As much as I would like it to be an option it isn’t unfortunately. I’m sure Jan will come round fast enough, and Marie said she will give me more notice this time.

The reason it is tight on time now is because they were finalising things about this new apprenticeship before offering places. I think it’s pretty much as Dynamonic said, the terms of the job and pay etc are all the same, there just might be a few more bits to do with getting the formal qualification, but would still be exactly the same as the end apart from your piece of paper ;)

She said there were 10 people in the pool currently- she didn’t say how many places she was offering out but said that I’d go to the top of the pile for the next course,
makes me think they’re taking on a good amount of people this course.

Good luck and congratulations everyone who got the call today- pleased for you all

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Auckney

Got the call from Marie, offered a place on the course 19th, pending medical, going Derby. Any one else from last Wednesdays stage 2 through?

stjimmy87

Just how intense and long it was. My DMI lasted about 40 mins. My MMI was about 1hr 20 mins

"And how did you feel about that?"......felt like I should have been laying down on one of those Psychiatrist chairs. But to be fair when I did mine it didn't feel like it was over an hour. On the plus side there was a free buffet laid on for after.

Top Link

Have a look on RSSB for medical guidelines. EMT will check your eyesight both with and without correction but as long as your prescription falls within the guidelines published by RSSB you should be fine. I have a relatively strong prescription (-4/-5.5 roughly) and was fine. You will need to take a recent copy of your prescription.

I’m not sure about a medical report form your GP but I would urge you not to try and hide any conditions you may have or have had in the past as it will be found out eventually and you’ll be sacked if you have tried to hide anything. They may want to seek a report if you do have ongoing conditions and I’m sure they are entitled to request it.

Blood pressure, ECG and hearing is also checked along with the alcohol and drug test.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated! I'm going to the opticians next month so will be able to check my prescription is inkeeping with the RSSB guidelines. No, I had no intentions of hiding any medical conditions from my prospective employer, I'm merely concerned about the medical report as the last time I requested one from my GP it took them months to do it! I've got incredibly mild asthma but hoping this won't be an issue, as at my last asthma check up clinic I was told I had better lung capacity and strength of breath than many people without asthma! :)

After coming all this way would hate to fall at the final hurdle

Top Link

Regarding point 2, you're sent a medical questionnaire to fill out before your medical, which you bring with you on the day. Obviously, be totally honest when filling this out. If any issues are flagged up from this on the day, then I believe they'll be looking at requesting a report from your GP.

You will also normally be asked for a vision prescription certificate which is dated within the last two years (even if you don't wear glasses) and a passport-sized photograph of yourself, which you need to stick to your medical questionnaire.

This will all be mentioned to you in your Medical email though. :)

Hi Dynamonic,

Thanks for your advice, invaluable as always! :)

The only issue I can see with the medical report is how long my GP seems to take to do them! I appreciate they have an incredibly hard job and medical reports aren't high on their list of tasks but last time I requested one it took them about 2 months to get it to me, not ideal if a TOC has start-dates they need to finalise! I have (very!) mild asthma but hoping that won't be an issue, it hasn't affected me for years now!

Must just say thanks to everybody on this forum for their help and advice over the last year, I didn't manage to pass the DMI at EMT for depot driver but, having looked on the forum could see it was a difficult career to break into so kept applying all the while I was in the EMT recruitment process. Have managed to go all the way with another well-known, larger TOC and secure a trainee mainline driver role with them! (won't say on here as you never know who's monitoring these forums) ;)

So thanks to everyone, including EMT who got me through the first stage with that pesky Group-Bourdon task (seems so long ago now)! :D

stjimmy87

Green light has been given and I start as a trainee depot driver on 19th November!

Feeling completely overwhelmed and proud right now...what an achievement but just the start of a fantastic career.

Also a massive thanks to you guys on this thread in particular, your advice has been priceless and I appreciate all your positive comments when I was worrying too much (looked back over thread and I really needed to calm down lol).

Gonna finally be living the dream....bring it on!

Scouse_scott

Green light has been given and I start as a trainee depot driver on 19th November!

Feeling completely overwhelmed and proud right now...what an achievement but just the start of a fantastic career.

Also a massive thanks to you guys on this thread in particular, your advice has been priceless and I appreciate all your positive comments when I was worrying too much (looked back over thread and I really needed to calm down lol).

Gonna finally be living the dream....bring it on!

Congrats mate, see you around the academy in a few weeks

Charlie2

Trainee Depot Drivers - Derby and Nottingham
Drivers
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: £28,325.00 rising to £37,766 upon completion of training
Closing Date: Sunday 28 October 2018
Reference: 2018-247
Please note the minimum age requirement to apply for this role is 21. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds. Women and ethnic minority groups are currently under-represented within our Depot Driver population and are encouraged to apply as we value diversity and are committed to ensuring equality across our organisation.

We’re now recruiting for Trainee Depot Drivers to join us in 2019 for our Nottingham and Derby depots! At East Midlands Trains we are passionate about providing our people with the opportunity for continuing professional development. As part of this commitment we have played a leading role in the development of the new national Train Driver level 3 apprenticeship standard, which was published in June 2018 by Institute of Apprenticeships. Our Depot Train Driver programme has been designed to meet the requirements of the new level 3 standard and as a result you will be automatically enrolled on the apprenticeship when you join the Company. This is an exciting opportunity because when you successfully complete the apprenticeship programme alongside your regulatory driving assessments, you will be one of the very first qualified drivers in the country to achieve this national qualification.

As part of the Trainee Depot Driver team you will be responsible for moving our trains around the Depots. You’ll be responsible for Depot driving, shunting, light maintenance and other tasks such as fault finding and reporting. Ensuring you keep people safe, you will be trained in and follow the rules and production requirements of East Midlands Trains. You will also be responsible for checking that the train environment is up to our market leading standards.

As a Trainee Depot Driver you will be required to work 37 hours per week, this will be predominantly afternoons and night shifts across the 7 days of the week, with a minimum of 12 hours rest between shifts.

Natural progression in this role is to become the Mainline Drivers of the future. This is an exciting opportunity to begin a fulfilling career with East Midlands Trains.

Successful candidates will need to be responsible and committed to providing excellent service through efficiency, high standards and most of all, safety. Excellent communication skills are an essential attribute for Depot Drivers to ensure you are able to work closely with the team around you. You do not require any previous qualifications but it is desirable for candidates to hold a Level 2 qualification in English, Maths and ICT in order to achieve the apprenticeship qualification.

You will be expected to undergo 4 stages of assessment as part of the recruitment process, which include OPC national driver testing, as well as successful completion of a driver medical.

The first stage of assessments dates are:

• Stage 1 – Driver testing part 1: WC 26th November

• Stage 2 – Assessment Day: Monday 17th December

• Stage 3 – Competency based interview: 2nd – 11thJanuary

• Stage 4 – Driver testing part 2: WC 28th January

Please note further testing will take place throughout 2019 in order to ensure all those successful at application stage are assessed. Training courses will commence at a number of dates throughout 2019 and 2020. If successful you will be placed into a Talent Pool and be offered a role when opportunities become available. The apprenticeship scheme is a yearlong qualification and you will train alongside other successful applicants at our Training Academy based in Derby.

The successful candidates will enjoy an incredibly competitive salary, and fantastic benefits including a defined benefit salary pension scheme, free travel for you, your partner and children on the East Midlands Trains network and discounted travel with other train companies, childcare vouchers and cycle scheme.

To apply please complete the online application form and upload your CV. As we operate a blind screening process please remove all personal information including your name from your CV.

Hear from one of our Depot Drivers Fiona Chaplin here:-

If you want to know more you can check out our careers site www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/careers and hear more from our drivers and our teams about these roles below.

Email details to a friend
Apply Online
We welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds, we promote equal opportunities for all. East Midlands Trains is a non-discriminatory employer committed to the recruitment and promotion of all on the basis of ability and merit irrespective of disability, race, gender, health, social class, sexual preference, marital status, nationality, religion, employment status or age. We’ll treat your application fairly and assess you for the job based on merit and skills.

Clive0121

Hi all, here we are back again, going to apply for this once again as soon as I get home fro work this afternoon, I managed to get as far as the competency based interview last time, so if anyone would have any tips on how to get through that it would be hugely appreciated (here’s hoping I manage to get that far again) lol

Also, Best of luck to anyone who applies for this role!

Justy

Morning all.
With regards to the depot driver role being advertised again, I got a email from Marie asking me if I'm interested again to apply for the role, just to respond back to her message, believe its just a generic email sent to everyone from previously.

What I wanted to know was if I was to reapply and not meet EMT standards again (I passed national and enhanced on some but not all) would that mean I won't be able to ever reapply with the company again in the future? I know the franchise will be taken over next year, so ensure of whether that would mean my 2 lives would be classed as taken with the company plus the new company or would it be fresh again once the franchise has been taken over? Hope I've made sense.

baz962

Established Member
Morning all.
With regards to the depot driver role being advertised again, I got a email from Marie asking me if I'm interested again to apply for the role, just to respond back to her message, believe its just a generic email sent to everyone from previously.

What I wanted to know was if I was to reapply and not meet EMT standards again (I passed national and enhanced on some but not all) would that mean I won't be able to ever reapply with the company again in the future? I know the franchise will be taken over next year, so ensure of whether that would mean my 2 lives would be classed as taken with the company plus the new company or would it be fresh again once the franchise has been taken over? Hope I've made sense.

That would apply only to an interview or tests unique to East midlands. Any tests that are required by the industry , and usually done by the opc have two lives full stop . Things to note are , any test you fail enhanced again will mean you then can only go to a toc that accept national standard , and if you fail a test you previously passed , will wipe out your previous pass.

Amanda

I also got the e-mail from Marie this morning. I nearly fell off my chair! To be honest I had been planning to reapply and only checked the website a week or so ago so they must have readvertised it in the meantime.

I failed at the interview stage last time so it sounds like I have to do the assessment day again.

Ontherails

Hi all. Firstly thankyou to everyone on here for all the advice over the past year on the recruitment process. I didn't comment at the time as I had accidentally used my real name and I wanted to remain anonymous due to my current role but hopefully I have now sorted that. Anyway, I failed at the DMI stage last time and I have also had the email from Marie this morning so I am thrilled to be having another go at this. Looking forward to Dec 17th now!

40 places, 20 for each depot, up for grabs from what I hear. Get in early 2300 applications a year ago and about 30 were taken on.

Clive0121

Didn’t received an email from Marie about the chance to re apply, I’m guessing I was super disappointing in the DMI then

Dynamonic

That's really nice of Marie to let you all know about these vacancies. Echoes my experience of EMT's recruitment last year, in which I felt the communication we received was absolutely excellent throughout the process! (That was Marie again, too! :))

I'd like to wish all of you who are applying for these roles the best of luck! It's a hard process to get through, and does require patience, but it is well worth it! I'm loving the role so far! :D

Static65

Looking at the application form now and have a question for those more in the know about the non technical skills framework.

When they ask a question about one of skills, e.g. the question about remaining calm under presure, are they looking for an answer that goes into depth on that one area, or an answer that shows how you use the other non technical skills to stay calm?

In short, should my answer include detail about just the one NTS or try and incorporate more of them.

I currently have two very different answers for the same question and no idea which would score higher.

Dynamonic

Looking at the application form now and have a question for those more in the know about the non technical skills framework.

When they ask a question about one of skills, e.g. the question about remaining calm under presure, are they looking for an answer that goes into depth on that one area, or an answer that shows how you use the other non technical skills to stay calm?

In short, should my answer include detail about just the one NTS or try and incorporate more of them.

I currently have two very different answers for the same question and no idea which would score higher.

You should find that a great answer will be one in which you are demonstrating multiple Non-Technical Skills to deal with the scenario. (You'll find they tend to be linked if your answer is good enough).
The important thing is, that you are directly, clearly and concisely answering the question. Use the 'STAR' format for this, (Situation, Task, Action, Result) to help structure your answer in the best way. That should help you leave out any unnecessary space fillers and allow you to put great details in. :)

Static65

That's helpfull advice. I think I've been too focused on covering lots of skills, to the detriment of being concise. Will take another crack at it. Thanks

You'll need to demonstrate every nts catagory at some point during the application and interview, don't try and ram them all into one answer.

Macca89

I took me all day to apply yesterday

Started 08:30am and finally got it sent off at 7pm

Only because my computer was having a day where it decided to go painfully slow!!

I just hope my slight impatience didn’t affect my standards of input on the application.

I’m happy with everything I’ve filled in but for example I had 20-30 letters left to use on some of the 4 scenario questions you get asked, maybe I could have added more etc etc

Didn’t add a cover letter because that would have taken a further 5000 hours with the way the computer was running, maybe I should have done.

And I was conscious the add could get taken down at any time, so I just thought I’m happy enough, that will do :D

I’m assuming it will be roughly a 2-3 week wait until anyone here’s anything??

Status
Not open for further replies.