• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopefuldriver

Ooh. I just beat you.
Started filling mine in at 06:30 after a 12 hour night shift. Then went to bed at 07:15.
Got up at 14:15 finished it and sent it at 15:15.
Then rushed to get ready for another 12 hour night shift.
Quite efficient I guess.
Good luck folks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Top Link

Didn’t received an email from Marie about the chance to re apply, I’m guessing I was super disappointing in the DMI then

I shouldn't worry Clive, I haven't received an email from Marie about reapplying either, but I can't have been that far off the mark at interview as about 6 weeks later I passed the DMI with another TOC and am now in their talent pool for mainline drivers! :D

Out of interest did you ever hear back from EMT regarding your interview feedback? I wrote Marie 4 emails, left two telephone messages and, after waiting weeks for a response, eventually ended up phoning the switchboard and asking for the email address of the Driver Manager who also interviewed me. Managed to get him to phone me back and it was a real boost to my confidence as he told me 'I hadn't been far off at all', which bucked me considerably just in time for my next interview with my current TOC!

Go ahead and reapply, you've nothing to lose and as I recall they do a blind screening process so I doubt they'd remember you from last time (especially given the amount of applications they receive). Then use the feedback they (hopefully) gave you last time to knock 'em dead this time round!

I wonder if it's just the previous female applicants who have received emails about this particular recruitment drive, possibly as a result of 'positive discrimination' to make the EMT Depots a more attractive environment for the ladies? Might have nothing to do with your suitability for the role at all! ;)

Last edited:

Static65

Top tip for anyone still to apply.

Check the word count on the situational questions. At the third attempt at some answers I've finally got responses I'm happy to submit. Copied the first answer across from word... 738 words over the 200 word limit...

The position will probably be closed before I'm done editing at this rate

I wonder if it's just the previous female applicants who have received emails about this particular recruitment drive, possibly as a result of 'positive discrimination' to make the EMT Depots a more attractive environment for the ladies? Might have nothing to do with your suitability for the role at all! ;)

They're already a decent environment for the ladies - stacked full of some of the midland's finest middle aged male specimens - what more could women want on top of this generous assortment of eye candy?

Olikay93

Hi guys! Just spent the last few days reading this whole thread! Just a question to anyone that complete the last stage of opc testing. Could you explain to me about the aart ( the flashing picture test) how detailed are the pictures and questions seeing as you only have 1 second to see the picture? By the way good luck to anyone going for this intake!

Clive0121

I shouldn't worry Clive, I haven't received an email from Marie about reapplying either, but I can't have been that far off the mark at interview as about 6 weeks later I passed the DMI with another TOC and am now in their talent pool for mainline drivers! :D

Out of interest did you ever hear back from EMT regarding your interview feedback? I wrote Marie 4 emails, left two telephone messages and, after waiting weeks for a response, eventually ended up phoning the switchboard and asking for the email address of the Driver Manager who also interviewed me. Managed to get him to phone me back and it was a real boost to my confidence as he told me 'I hadn't been far off at all', which bucked me considerably just in time for my next interview with my current TOC!

Go ahead and reapply, you've nothing to lose and as I recall they do a blind screening process so I doubt they'd remember you from last time (especially given the amount of applications they receive). Then use the feedback they (hopefully) gave you last time to knock 'em dead this time round!

Thank you for this reply it’s very much appreciated. Makes me feel a lot better about no email. Congratulations of making your way through to the talent oool with the other TOC, hope you have a long successful career with them. I have emailed Marie 4 times now and still nothing in terms of feedback. I feel like I know where I can improve on the last DMI I had so here’s hoping I get through to the December 17th date and I can express myself knowing more than I did last time. Once again. Congratulations on your success and thank you for the reply. Very much appreciated

LowLevel

Established Member
They're already a decent environment for the ladies - stacked full of some of the midland's finest middle aged male specimens - what more could women want on top of this generous assortment of eye candy?

Most but not all of our recent female recruits prefer the ladies anyway! That's not meant to be disrespectful by the way - the East Mids railway has become quite a diverse place over the last few years. It does feel like any gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation etc etc etc is genuinely welcome and I would encourage anyone to apply without fear of prejudice.

Top Link

Thank you for this reply it’s very much appreciated. Makes me feel a lot better about no email. Congratulations of making your way through to the talent oool with the other TOC, hope you have a long successful career with them. I have emailed Marie 4 times now and still nothing in terms of feedback. I feel like I know where I can improve on the last DMI I had so here’s hoping I get through to the December 17th date and I can express myself knowing more than I did last time. Once again. Congratulations on your success and thank you for the reply. Very much appreciated

No worries matey, very best of luck with your application! Cheers, yeah I'm super excited at the prospect of having a route to learn and know better than the back of my hand (and in all seasons/weathers)! At least if you get through to the DMI again with EMT (or with any other company for that matter), you'll have a better understanding of what they're after this time around so can use that knowledge to your advantage :)

Amanda

That's really nice of Marie to let you all know about these vacancies. Echoes my experience of EMT's recruitment last year, in which I felt the communication we received was absolutely excellent throughout the process! (That was Marie again, too! :))

You're absolutely right, Dynamonic. The communication throughout the process was fantastic, and all made quite fun and less stuffy than it could be!

I didn't ask for feedback. I remember rambling quite a bit so figured that had something to do with it, also if I'm honest I'd applied on a whim never having really considered train driving as a career before so I'd figured if it was going to happen, it would happen, and if it didn't then it was back to my day job with the knowledge that at least I tried. However as the months have rolled on I had already come to the conclusion I'd reapply once my 6 months were up - this could possibly have something to do with the fact I pass the railway several times a day as I work near NG2 and I get the tram from Hucknall and I can't tell you the pangs of jealousy I have every time I hear or see the trains go by!

Good luck to everyone applying!

Justy

That would apply only to an interview or tests unique to East midlands. Any tests that are required by the industry , and usually done by the opc have two lives full stop . Things to note are , any test you fail enhanced again will mean you then can only go to a toc that accept national standard , and if you fail a test you previously passed , will wipe out your previous pass.

Ah that's what I thought. If I fail with emt again, as in not meet the enhanced level, game over with them... Oh, so rereading your comment, does that mean ANY other toc who require enhanced level I wouldn't be able to apply with neither?
I've only ever once applied for the role so apologies if my comment is stupid. I thought as another company will be taking over the franchise next year, I had it in my head that worst case scenario if I don't meet the enhanced level again with emt, at least I got another shot with the new franchise, even if they required enhanced level.... But don't think that's actually correct now :(

baz962

Established Member
Thats right , two shots at enhanced in total , unless anything has changed Since early this year .

Justy

Didn’t received an email from Marie about the chance to re apply, I’m guessing I was super disappointing in the DMI then

Aw don't put yourself down as that's not true.
I didn't even pass the stage 1 tests so I know for certain your wrong especially with you getting to the DMI stage :D
good luck with your application and to everyone else who applies.

Thanks for confirming that, I may have to reconsider whether I feel ready to retry again then

Never heard of this "two attempts at enhanced" before. If u keep passing but don't reach what a TOC determines to be an "enhanced score" then you don't lose any lives.

I repeat my theory on this "enhanced standard" that knocks about. I have believed for a while that there is no such thing as a set "enhanced standard". It is whatever the TOC determines it to be.

Basically, a TOC will advertise, and get thousands of, in the case of EMT a year ago 2300, applicants. For 30-40 jobs.

They will sift these down to 600 or so by the questions on the application form. Basic failures to follow instructions like "remove personal info from your CV" would also be a fail!

They will book about 600 places on "stage 1" where the OPC will attend a venue and put you through several paper tests. One of these on stage 1 is the GBT.

Pass rate is about 30%. So they are left with 180 candidates from these 600.

They then book 40 places on the expensive "stage 2" OPC assessments (where the pass rate is 95%).

To reduce 180 to 40 they do driver manager interviews. But 180 interviews is far far too high. Would take too long and cost too much management time. They want to interview about 70.

So how do they get from 180 who passed that "stage 1" to 70?

They get the 180 who passed and order their results in order just using the GBT test result. The top 70 are deemed to have an "enhanced score" and progress to interview.

These 70 are then reduced to 40 with the "tell me about a time you..." driver manager interview.

In the last round of EMT recruitment several candidates applied having already passed with other TOCs. However, they were still asked to come into do just the GBT part of stage 1. Scouse Scott was one I believe. This allowed EMT to see if they had reached this "enhanced" standard.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

So my advice. You have 20-25% chance of passing the sift so make sure your application is top dollar. Every part of your application procedure and interviews needs to be perfect. 40 out of 2300 means that for every successful candidate there are about 56 who are not. But if you want enhanced standard, practice the GBT test until you are sick of it.

Scouse_scott

Scouse Scott was one I believe. This allowed EMT to see if they had reached this "enhanced" standard.

Yeah I had all aspects of the testing already passed with virgin to their enhanced standard including dots. EMT asked me to sit just the dots part of the test to meet EMT enhanced standard.

In my mind I performed exactly the same sitting the dots a 2nd time with EMT as the 1st time I achieved enhanced with virgin

SAlty

Never heard of this "two attempts at enhanced" before. If u keep passing but don't reach what a TOC determines to be an "enhanced score" then you don't lose any lives.

I repeat my theory on this "enhanced standard" that knocks about. I have believed for a while that there is no such thing as a set "enhanced standard". It is whatever the TOC determines it to be.

Basically, a TOC will advertise, and get thousands of, in the case of EMT a year ago 2300, applicants. For 30-40 jobs.

They will sift these down to 600 or so by the questions on the application form. Basic failures to follow instructions like "remove personal info from your CV" would also be a fail!

They will book about 600 places on "stage 1" where the OPC will attend a venue and put you through several paper tests. One of these on stage 1 is the GBT.

Pass rate is about 30%. So they are left with 180 candidates from these 600.

They then book 40 places on the expensive "stage 2" OPC assessments (where the pass rate is 95%).

To reduce 180 to 40 they do driver manager interviews. But 180 interviews is far far too high. Would take too long and cost too much management time. They want to interview about 70.

So how do they get from 180 who passed that "stage 1" to 70?

They get the 180 who passed and order their results in order just using the GBT test result. The top 70 are deemed to have an "enhanced score" and progress to interview.

These 70 are then reduced to 40 with the "tell me about a time you..." driver manager interview.

In the last round of EMT recruitment several candidates applied having already passed with other TOCs. However, they were still asked to come into do just the GBT part of stage 1. Scouse Scott was one I believe. This allowed EMT to see if they had reached this "enhanced" standard.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

So my advice. You have 20-25% chance of passing the sift so make sure your application is top dollar. Every part of your application procedure and interviews needs to be perfect. 40 out of 2300 means that for every successful candidate there are about 56 who are not. But if you want enhanced standard, practice the GBT test until you are sick of it.
Great theory - sounds very likely! Thanks for your insight.

baz962

Established Member
I actually asked the opc , so either I was Sold a dummy or things have changed .

Dynamonic

You're unlikely to hear anything until after the vacancy has closed.
If it's like my intake, you'll all be told whether or not you've been shortlisted about two weeks after the vacancy has closed. :)

stjimmy87

You're unlikely to hear anything until after the vacancy has closed.
If it's like my intake, you'll all be told whether or not you've been shortlisted about two weeks after the vacancy has closed. :)

Also you might end up in a completely different intake not on the dates advertised so be prepared for that.

Trust me though it's worth the long long wait.

NorvernRob

Great theory - sounds very likely! Thanks for your insight.

Except I have a DMI interview coming up with Northern, and I haven’t had any assessments yet. So I’ve no idea how many they’ve narrowed it down to purely from the applications!

stjimmy87

Question for any current depot drivers or just general opinions. Is the job of Depot driver something that you would want to carry on doing even if a mainline opportunity came along? At this stage of my career, I have driven a tram for nearly 5 years and have become tired and essentially not arsed with the great British public and therefore welcome a job that will give me the chance to work on the railway but have limited exposure to the public (I am not an anti-people person in general I promise!).

Obviously after 2-3 years of working on the depot my opinion might change but to be honest for the wage that I am likely to be on and the fact I don't mind nights and mixed shifts, at the moment this job seems to tick every box.

heedfan

There are certainly depot drivers where I work that have no desire to go mainline. Though obviously not mainline money, the salary is very good and the opportunity to earn overtime on rest days means you can very quickly add a good chunk to your monthly wage packet (though not all depots pay overtime for rest days). The shifts suit them and they live near the depot so they see it as a case of why jeapordise that with a more risky career on the mainline where one incident can see you canned. That being said, there are obviously also drivers who want to go mainline for a number of reasons: money, shift pattern, enjoyment of the job, etc. It just depends on what you want personally.

baz962

Established Member
Question for any current depot drivers or just general opinions. Is the job of Depot driver something that you would want to carry on doing even if a mainline opportunity came along? At this stage of my career, I have driven a tram for nearly 5 years and have become tired and essentially not arsed with the great British public and therefore welcome a job that will give me the chance to work on the railway but have limited exposure to the public (I am not an anti-people person in general I promise!).

Obviously after 2-3 years of working on the depot my opinion might change but to be honest for the wage that I am likely to be on and the fact I don't mind nights and mixed shifts, at the moment this job seems to tick every box.

Im not and have never been a depot driver , im just finishing my training on mainline and as part of that I have driven a lot of passenger services . To be honest , you do not get much interaction with the public , also I know a few ex depot drivers / shunters that have gone mainline.

burnttealeaf

Hi all, i joined this forum around this time last year when EMT advertised for the same role then. I was kicking myself at the time as i had found out about the role late in the day and had to chuck in an application i hadn't spent much time on. As expected i didn't pass the sift.

Here i am again with more time to try and get my application right and the first thing i have to say to people in this forum and on this post is a massive thank you, there is so much info on here and it making it all a bit less daunting. I'm not looking much past the application form (my CV and the 4 questions) at this stage as thats my first hurdle.

i was wondering if anyone had any advice about the 4 supporting statement questions, I'm answering with mainly work experience examples but am struggling to say as much as want in the 200 words, im looking at the Non-technical skills list and i finding myself trying to hit as many of the skills as possible across the answers but i don't know if the right thing to do?

Last edited:
i was wondering if anyone had any advice about the 4 supporting statement questions, I'm answering with mainly work experience examples but am struggling to say as much as want in the 200 words, im looking at the Non-technical skills list and i finding myself trying to hit as many of the skills as possible across the answers but i don't know if the right thing to do?

This is exactly the right approach. Examples drawn from different areas of your life experience which evidence nts.

Status
Not open for further replies.