• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busyboy89

Dots - lines 9/10 on all 5
Glop - completed but 1 I was unsure of
Dials - 24
High low tones - lost count on one and had to guess
Phone book - completed both sheets ok

Dunno what position it puts me in :( but this waiting is killing me

Rod

Hello friends, First of all, I would like to thank everyone who helps out others here to do well in the OPC.
Can I please ask anyone who has been on OPC for MTR cross rail if they can give me some hints on how to solve the DFFT (Driver Fault Finding Test), Dials and cables test, which involves Solar panels, Battery, Engine, Powerbox, Lights and Windows. Any technical information?

Last edited:

Rod

That sounds more like the driver fault finding test.
You are correct Martin. It is the DFFT test. Do you have any more information or the tips to figure out the faults or technical information? Any clues to help to speed up the fault finding test?

Last edited:

Busyboy89

So so, missed a whole bloody line on the dots test which I'm annoyed about and I know I missed one on the phone book test but we shall see.
I think we are all bound to make some form of a mistake hopefully it doesn’t damage our overall scores too much :) :)

baz962

Established Member
You are correct Martin. It is the DFFT test. Do you have any more information or the tips to figure out the faults or technical information? Any clues to help to speed up the fault finding test?

The answers are on a sheet that you work from .

Rod

Thanks, Baz! I'm aware the answers are on a sheet but I was wondering if anyone can share the criteria they use to identify the faults or the technical information or instructions that come with the DFFT

Thanks, Baz! I'm aware the answers are on a sheet but I was wondering if anyone can share the criteria they use to identify the faults or the technical information or instructions that come with the DFFT

I did it with gtr 4 years ago. It was fairly easy. The technical info is irrelevent, in the same way the info in the glop test is irrelevent and people who read up on rail adhesion are just confusing themselves. It's a brain training exercise, seeing if u can take some info and process it. It's like the dials - order, priority, sort etc. Do the practice papers and consider looking for similar stuff on the net.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Yeah don’t worry about the DFFT they explain it really clearly on the day, you do some practice questions, they check everyone got them right, then you do the real thing, nowt to worry about!

Yellowbelly

So so, missed a whole bloody line on the dots test which I'm annoyed about and I know I missed one on the phone book test but we shall see.
Sounds similar to me! You must be good to realise what you missed I’m just happy I managed to mark what I saw!

Rod

I did it with gtr 4 years ago. It was fairly easy. The technical info is irrelevent, in the same way the info in the glop test is irrelevent and people who read up on rail adhesion are just confusing themselves. It's a brain training exercise, seeing if u can take some info and process it. It's like the dials - order, priority, sort etc. Do the practice papers and consider looking for similar stuff on the net.
Thank you very much, guys.

Clarabella31

Sounds similar to me! You must be good to realise what you missed I’m just happy I managed to mark what I saw!
Cheers but it was one of annoying things where you realised too late to rectify it. Hey ho what will be will be. My only concern is that we were told approx weeks for resuits and as far as I'm aware the date for the next stage is 17th December

Got to 39 mate, I'm in the same boat unsure about the tones test. Also a bit in the middle on how I did with the glop test but we will see. Good luck to everyone, hopefully we will find out soon!

I think high 20s with no mistakes is good enough on this to pass. I would be surprised if you are allowed more than one mistake each on the glop or phonebook/tones etc. However, loads of you may manage this so you are really looking at the dots and being in the top 20% of this to qualify for stage 2.

Busyboy89

I think high 20s with no mistakes is good enough on this to pass. I would be surprised if you are allowed more than one mistake each on the glop or phonebook/tones etc. However, loads of you may manage this so you are really looking at the dots and being in the top 20% of this to qualify for stage 2.

Didn’t quiet make to high 20s on the dials got 24 and finished all the others except the dots.

Does anyone know how they actually mark it?

Yellowbelly

Cheers but it was one of annoying things where you realised too late to rectify it. Hey ho what will be will be. My only concern is that we were told approx weeks for resuits and as far as I'm aware the date for the next stage is 17th December
I thought the exact same thing you know. Hopefully we will learn of our fate this coming week

Amanda

Hey everyone!

Hope you guys who sat your tests recently hear good news soon.

Just wondering if any of the guys from the previous recruitment who have been invited to sit the group assessments on the 17th December have heard anything yet? It's two weeks today and about the time scale for Marie to send out the official e-mail with dates and times etc. I replied to her e-mail to say I wanted to participate but haven't heard anything further.

I am thinking maybe once these guys get to find out whether or not they made it to the next round, that will be when I hear something.... :?:

Amanda

Stjimmy:- how has week one gone? Been thinking of you all who started training last Monday. Maire rang me on Friday to sort out my medical ready for the next start date

Hey that's great to hear. Finally!

Yellowbelly

Hey everyone!

Hope you guys who sat your tests recently hear good news soon.

Just wondering if any of the guys from the previous recruitment who have been invited to sit the group assessments on the 17th December have heard anything yet? It's two weeks today and about the time scale for Marie to send out the official e-mail with dates and times etc. I replied to her e-mail to say I wanted to participate but haven't heard anything further.

I am thinking maybe once these guys get to find out whether or not they made it to the next round, that will be when I hear something.... :?:
I sat the first batch of testing last Friday and am waiting to hear back. It would be a hard push to expect anything yet going by the sheer number of applications being processed. I think it’s basically a sit and wait game. We were told to wait rather than “pester” the H/R staff

DEvans

Good evening all.

Congratulations to anyone who’s successful. Of course commiserations to those unlucky.

Out of interest, what lines are you all applying for?

DE

Yellowbelly

Good evening all.

Congratulations to anyone who’s successful. Of course commiserations to those unlucky.

Out of interest, what lines are you all applying for?

DE
Depot driver. You? I think I’ve messed up the tones and phone book reading. I felt more confident with the other tests. How did you feel you got on?

Yellowbelly

Just been sent the dreaded unsuccessful email. Good luck to anyone who is still waiting or has heard they’ve passed.

Just a quick question. Other people on the day were sitting various parts of the tests so was wondering if contacting HR to get my scores would benefit me anyhow? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Mermoo

Just been sent the dreaded unsuccessful email. Good luck to anyone who is still waiting or has heard they’ve passed.

Just a quick question. Other people on the day were sitting various parts of the tests so was wondering if contacting HR to get my scores would benefit me anyhow? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Hard luck mate, keep trying. OPC are the people to contact to find out what you passed and to what standard, i.e standard or enhanced. If you call them and let them know what you want to know it will take them a couple of months to get back to you, but they do eventually!

Busyboy89

Yeah yellow belly hard luck mate you at least know what to expect next time round!!

When you find out your scores, If you passed at standard rate, am I right in thinking you can apply for other toc’s who don’t require enhanced scores without having to resit them dreaded tests again!

Rod

Yeah it was a nightmare all weekend as I knew Friday afternoon and obviously it was killing me as couldn't say anything. I have to say this though;
I will feel massively if anyone fails the MMI as to be honest the questions were similar in my opinion to the Driver Manager interview and they had passed us all. They also know the day to day role of a driver better than anyone.
In my interview he kept saying how did you feel and eventually I challenged him on it and said to him,
"You keep asking me how I feel and I'm not sure what you are getting at I felt nothing other than doing the hob I was trained to do". At that point I thought I'd blown it but now I wonder if challenging him may well have been the correct course of action.
It just felt as though they were looking for buzzwords and as a person who for years interviewed managers for high salary jobs I was a little disappointed in how the MMI was done
Nairbxeno?
Is there any way I can send you a PM please. I am a bit new here. I'm not aware how its done here on rail foroum.

Status
Not open for further replies.