• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Has anybody got the Richard McMunn how to become a train driver books on psychometric test etc. I’m finding the numerical reasoning tests very difficult. I have forgotten everything I learnt in maths at school-absolutely everything.
Bloody worried.

I used the book, it was about a tenner four years ago. People on here say "don't waste your money" but what is a tenner compared to the potential job you will get.

Anyway, I found it a useful extra bit of learning. The exercises in them are more similar to the actual OPC tests than the practice book emt will send you.

Amanda

I hope everyone got on all right yesterday! @Daveb1664, to be honest on the two occasions I've done the group assessments stage I really enjoyed them too, for me they were the best part of the whole process.

Anyway, last night I got my confirmation e-mail from the recruitment team of my resounding failure. I only skim-read it and took it say I can try again next time, however I went back and reread it later and noticed this wording:

"As you will know, you can only attempt each stage of testing a maximum of two times and therefore if you have been unsuccessful at Stage 1 or Stage 2 twice you will be unable to reapply for the role of Depot Driver.

If this is not the case and you so wish to be reconsidered for the role of Depot Driver with East Midlands Trains you are able to reapply after a period of 6 months. At this time please contact us and state that you wish to be reconsidered for the next Stage 2 testing date. Please note if you don't contact us within 1 year you will be required to fully reapply for the role."

I take this to mean I don't actually need to wait until they recruit again, I just need to wait 6 months? At which point I'd resit the test, do the MMI, and hopefully get into the Talent Pool. Either way, there will be an e-mail going their way on 30th July!

Auckney

Hi @Amanda

Your absolutely right! Wait the six months and let Marie know the required time has passed. The same thing happened to me, I failed the MMI 1st time and waited to reapply. Marie got me on an impromptu OPC stage 2 MMI resit along with four or five other folks who were in the same boat as myself. I thankfully passed and went for my medical, which I initially failed! (another story). It has now been 'sorted' and I now have a start date. Notice handed in . The point is, DON'T give up, you can do it. You are very close to success.
I also found it very hard to pick myself up intially and motivate myself to go again after my 1st time failure, but it has been worth the wait.
I hope you have the same success.

Last edited:

JDMFTW

Anyone heard back from group assessment day yet? I had my unsuccessful email today lol.. never mind I’ll try again in July and know what to expect as the speed interviews pretty much caused me to crumble and I’m pretty sure I was just rambling.. In hindsight maybe I should have mentioned I already have a career in a safety critical environment. Live and you learn hey!

Lopez

Same as you JDMFTW I had the unsuccessful email too. It's a shame the email doesn't give any clues as to what actually needs improving if anyone went for it again. Makes you question what you did wrong and what you did right.

Amanda

Hi @Amanda

Your absolutely right! Wait the six months and let Marie know the required time has passed. The same thing happened to me, I failed the MMI 1st time and waited to reapply. Marie got me on an impromptu OPC stage 2 MMI resit along with four or five other folks who were in the same boat as myself. I thankfully passed and went for my medical, which I initially failed! (another story). It has now been 'sorted' and I now have a start date. Notice handed in . The point is, DON'T give up, you can do it. You are very close to success.
I also found it very hard to pick myself up intially and motivate myself to go again after my 1st time failure, but it has been worth the wait.
I hope you have the same success.

Wow, @Auckney. Thank you so much for this. I'm so glad to hear it's worked out for you! I'll be in like a shot when my six months are up.

Daveb1664

Sorry to hear the bad news for those who have been unsuccessful. I've got through to the next stage. Should have a date for the dmi in 3 to 4 weeks.

Amanda

Aw @JDMFTW and @Lopez, I'm really gutted for you! :( Is there no option to request feedback? It would be a bit unfair if that really is the case. Try again next time, at this stage you have not lost anything (you haven't lost a "life") but you have gained the experience of doing this stage. And your stage 1 results are valid for a long while yet!

Lopez

Aw @JDMFTW and @Lopez, I'm really gutted for you! :( Is there no option to request feedback? It would be a bit unfair if that really is the case. Try again next time, at this stage you have not lost anything (you haven't lost a "life") but you have gained the experience of doing this stage. And your stage 1 results are valid for a long while yet!
Thanks Amanda and good luck to you when you go for yours again in 6 months. I shall probably reapply after the six months/when they advertise jobs again, just gutted today, feel like I've put a lot of hard work in for nothing and am a failure, know others are in the same boat though, will just have to dust myself down and try again at some point. Well done Daveb1664 on getting through to the next stage.

Amanda

Thanks Amanda and good luck to you when you go for yours again in 6 months. I shall probably reapply after the six months/when they advertise jobs again, just gutted today, feel like I've put a lot of hard work in for nothing and am a failure, know others are in the same boat though, will just have to dust myself down and try again at some point. Well done Daveb1664 on getting through to the next stage.

It's really hard to *not* feel like a failure but... You're really not. You got to the second stage of a process when most people will not make it past the initial sift. They likely get thousands of applicants for this role but *you* were one of the few who were chosen to start the assessments in the first place. Just remember that.

joshwalker66

Hello! I'm a newbie here, got my first assessment on the 18th February. Any tips for the first assessments?

2011dandd

Ditto

Can anyone give us a heads up on stage one assessments? I’m practicing a lot of maths numerical testing alongside group bourdon tests etc and don’t want to waste time practicing the stuff that might not come up.
Cheers

To everyone asking for information that has already been given...try reading through the whole post OR use the search facility. This thread has ALL the information you need to pass EMT assessments, you just need to look. Good luck!

Optimist

I can tell you it’s well worth reading through this thread. Read through the examples that were sent to you for stage one and practise. I’ve had confirmation I’m in the talent pool. I’m so thrilled and excited.

Lopez

I can tell you it’s well worth reading through this thread. Read through the examples that were sent to you for stage one and practise. I’ve had confirmation I’m in the talent pool. I’m so thrilled and excited.
Congratulations Optimist

Dynamonic

Congratulations to those of you who have just made it into the Talent Pool! Hoping you'll all get onto a course soon, but make the most of the freedom you have now, because once the learning starts, it will consume your life for a long time! :lol:
For those of you who have just missed out. You're still very nearly there, even if it doesn't feel like it at the moment. Just pick yourselves up, go for it again, and you'll nail it! :smile:

Are there any members who have a job offer and training dates for this year?

From what I hear there is a course starting early March which is made up of people from the last intake (Autumn 2017 advert). Courses of 8-10 people could then run starting roughly every 14 weeks (depending on if they need people) after that so anyone just got good news would be looking at late June training start at the earliest. I also hear that Derby is in far far greater need for candidates so be prepared for the "Derby next course or a long wait for Notts" dilema.

Optimist

From what I hear there is a course starting early March which is made up of people from the last intake (Autumn 2017 advert). Courses of 8-10 people could then run starting roughly every 14 weeks (depending on if they need people) after that so anyone just got good news would be looking at late June training start at the earliest. I also hear that Derby is in far far greater need for candidates so be prepared for the "Derby next course or a long wait for Notts" dilema.
Ok thankyou

Daveb1664

Morning all. Just a quick question, I'm waiting on a date for my DMI just wondered if anyone has visited any of the depots? Would they accommodate a visit? any points of contact?

Morning all. Just a quick question, I'm waiting on a date for my DMI just wondered if anyone has visited any of the depots? Would they accommodate a visit? any points of contact?
Nice idea but no. They would not be able to accommodate a visit to the depot. Presumably you don't have your PTS and DM's would not have the time between investigating incidents and drinking tea.

Scouse_scott

Yes I would, you are going to be asked about what you know about the role. The more info you can give them the better you will score.

But I'm not sure if you will actually be allowed on site. It's worth a try tho

Tomnick

Established Member
Shed drivers at Nottingham spend a lot of their working lives on and around the station, so you can probably get a half-decent idea of some of what’s involved by just hanging around in public areas and observing, especially the Liverpool splits and joins.

Paul472426

It doesn’t happen very often, but I have it on good authority that someone did just that recently at Derby, but don’t know if they were internal with PTS training!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.