• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainabs

Hi. I got the email about short interviews and videos. I'm getting a bit confused. Are we meant to give a short video or will there be interviews or both?

Edit: re read it again, it will be a pre recorded video interview.
I know to use the search bar for the hints and tips, is it dmi questions or mmi I need to look into for these competency based questions they'll ask?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DunfordBridge

I also got asked about providing great service despite facing difficulty (instead of working alone) and persevering to learn something (instead of the 2 week course question)

I think the criteria for working alone is covered as part of the question about performing a role/task similar to that of a train driver. Regarding, the question about persevering to learning something, I understand that you would have to describe the problems encountered and solved, such as time constraints, or maybe some other difficulties? Maybe other members could describe the problems they encountered trying to learn something.

All those sound right except give an example of a role similar to a train driver. I've sat 2 mmi and the last one isn't even a year old and I've never had that question. I think my 6th may have been something like give an example of a time you've communicated a message effectively

When I first attempted the MMI in 2014, I did get asked that last question (it was the one question which let me down too). The question asked about a ‘task’ as opposed to a ‘role’ though if I remember correctly.

It seems they may regularly rotate the 6 questions from a pool.

The train driver question is the one question which seems to pop up most frequently on the careers section of this forum, never seem to hear so much about the two questions such as working without making mistakes, or providing a good level of service whilst encountering difficulty.

Until now, I have never been convinced that they rotate the questions. I am now wondering if it is actually possible for different operators to customise the set of questions posed in the MMI. I gather that different sub-questions will be thrown in depending on your responses in the SJE.

nathan211

Has there been any movement on this? I completed my stage 2 in September 2019 so I’m over a year into my 2 allowed already.. hoping there’s some movement soon at Derby! :)

severussnape

Has there been any movement on this? I completed my stage 2 in September 2019 so I’m over a year into my 2 allowed already.. hoping there’s some movement soon at Derby! :)
I started the process Nov 2018. My stage 2 was May 19. I was supposed to have an update in Aug, heard absolutely nothing.

2011dandd

I started the process Nov 2018. My stage 2 was May 19. I was supposed to have an update in Aug, heard absolutely nothing.
Irene has forgotten about us completely as far as I’m concerned.
wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that we were initially being handled by Marie perrygrove and informative has been left on a file never to be opened again

severussnape

Irene has forgotten about us completely as far as I’m concerned.
wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that we were initially being handled by Marie perrygrove and informative has been left on a file never to be opened again
I'm gutted Marie has moved on. Every time I have emailed her, she replied straight away. Since she's left I've emailed twice, 8 months later I'm still waiting for a reply.

2011dandd

Put an awful lot of time, money and effort into the process. I think it would be courteous just to send the occasional email at least to keep us posted. I understand that no job offer is promised, but come on we are all human we are all hoping for the best. Communication is key

nathan211

I think Derby Depot was over quota, hence not a lot of courses for Derby just lately and then Covid hit but I presume some sort of training has still been happening? An update would be welcome either way though.

PedroTheGoat

They've had some people start who are just learning at home currently via zoom and they're doing the official exams still. Hopefully us waiting for the Derby depot will at least get something like that soon. I'd completely gutted if it all fell through after all the tests and waiting I've done.

2011dandd

Everyone waiting for Derby
I rang and spoke to Irene in the summer for some clarity on a few things. As like many of you I imagine I was thinking any day now. I asked when they forecasted running a course for derby depot? She told me then that at that time they did not plan to run a course for derby until late 2021. I was gutted and thought they could have at least communicated this with those in the derby talent pool (if such a thing exists).
By then I would have to take stage two again. Also Irene told me that they were firm on their stance that potential candidates can not change depot to facilitate a sooner course.

RuralSquad93

Derby is still over quota however 4 drivers have recently gone mainline (1 Kettering & 3 Derby) with 3 more (Derby) to follow which leaves the depot 2 over subscribed however one driver has recently done or is doing their handling on the park atm to be a depot driver. There is a January course for Notts and a March course which will have some drivers for Derby on it (I believe they have already been decided) but not gospel on that. There are a few more depot drivers leaving from the Park to go elsewhere so there may be some news soon for those in the talent pool with any luck. Just a case of sitting patient as tough as it is unfortunately.

Inthe4foot

Derby is still over quota however 4 drivers have recently gone mainline (1 Kettering & 3 Derby) with 3 more (Derby) to follow which leaves the depot 2 over subscribed however one driver has recently done or is doing their handling on the park atm to be a depot driver. There is a January course for Notts and a March course which will have some drivers for Derby on it (I believe they have already been decided) but not gospel on that. There are a few more depot drivers leaving from the Park to go elsewhere so there may be some news soon for those in the talent pool with any luck. Just a case of sitting patient as tough as it is unfortunately.
There’s no January course it’s been pushed to March and it has notts shed and 1 mainline for Norwich on. hopefully for you derby boys the next course after gets Some of you guys on :)

nathan211

Good Evening all! Some good news today I have my start date for Derby on the 3rd May! Im over the moon, hope to hear some of you guys have the same very soon

Ptrains

Great news!!! I'm relieved to hear that there is some movement in the Derby based Trainee Depot Driver world. I'm a couple of months behind you - Stage 2 was in November 2019, so it's fingers crossed for the next course...
When did they actually get in touch and was it asking for your availability for a medical / updated references etc?

PedroTheGoat

Good Evening all! Some good news today I have my start date for Derby on the 3rd May! Im over the moon, hope to hear some of you guys have the same very soon
I've had the same start date this morning. Look forward to meeting you and the other guys who've got a date !

2011dandd

Hi everyone, I rang Irene back this morning and was offered the may start date. A telephone call I have been waiting for for 2 and a half years.

I turned it down!! Because.....I start with WMT on Monday.
mall the best everyone, we are finally getting on the rails

crebbs1

Hi everyone, I rang Irene back this morning and was offered the may start date. A telephone call I have been waiting for for 2 and a half years.

I turned it down!! Because.....I start with WMT on Monday.
mall the best everyone, we are finally getting on the rails
Where will you be based at WMT, great company to work for

Wellsinho

Great news!!! I'm relieved to hear that there is some movement in the Derby based Trainee Depot Driver world. I'm a couple of months behind you - Stage 2 was in November 2019, so it's fingers crossed for the next course...
When did they actually get in touch and was it asking for your availability for a medical / updated references etc?
I failed my Stage 2 in July 2019 - passed it at the second attempt in Nov 2020. I guess I'd have maybe been getting an invitation about now if I'd not fumbled one question :(

Had an email today from Irene for an online virtual assessment session, involving some virtual group exercises, whatever that'll be I have no idea though?!?! Any idea's??

jamartin

Had an email today from Irene for an online virtual assessment session, involving some virtual group exercises, whatever that'll be I have no idea though?!?! Any idea's??
Glad I have just seen this post, just came acrss the same email! I too am unaware of what this consists of - I will have a trawl on this site and Google and see if I can find anything pertinent.

Trainabs

Same here on the virtual exercise. I assume it would be the same as the group exercises? Would someone have a link to the thread for help with that?

Unfortunately for me it is being held at a time that I cannot attend. Do we know if they are flexible and can change otherwise it is a shame I will have to withdraw based on technicalities

Same here on the virtual exercise. I assume it would be the same as the group exercises? Would someone have a link to the thread for help with that?

Unfortunately for me it is being held at a time that I cannot attend. Do we know if they are flexible and can change otherwise it is a shame I will have to withdraw based on technicalities
It would be a shame to withdraw this far into the process. There's usually more courses booked for future dates, definitely worth emailing Irene to ask, I'm sure she'll come up with a solution for you mate.

Trainabs

It would be a shame to withdraw this far into the process. There's usually more courses booked for future dates, definitely worth emailing Irene to ask, I'm sure she'll come up with a solution for you mate.
Yeah will do mate. Thanks for your help and good luck with your next stage :)

Status
Not open for further replies.