• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Depot Driver East Midlands Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ptrains

I've been accepted into the talent pool and have sent in copies of my (very) old GCSE certificates as requested, but I haven't got anything in ICT at GCSE or level 2. I queried this with HR and got the following reply:
There are colleges out there who run short courses (6-8weeks) for GCSE ICT free of charge, so you can look into this before you are due to start with us.
Has anyone got any recommendations or suggestions as so far I can find ones that are a couple of hundred quid (unless you're on benefits....)

Optimist

I've been accepted into the talent pool and have sent in copies of my (very) old GCSE certificates as requested, but I haven't got anything in ICT at GCSE or level 2. I queried this with HR and got the following reply:
There are colleges out there who run short courses (6-8weeks) for GCSE ICT free of charge, so you can look into this before you are due to start with us.
Has anyone got any recommendations or suggestions as so far I can find ones that are a couple of hundred quid (unless you're on benefits....)
There are definitely free courses. Where are you in the country, if you don’t mind me asking? Well done for getting into the pool.

Ptrains

It's the waiting to see when I will be offered a place that's driving me up the wall and it's only been a few days!!!
What happens next? Is it case of getting a provisional offer of a place, followed by reference checks and then a medical before a firm offer is made?
I'm in Derby

That's odd as I thought the company send you away for a week during training to get these as part of the training?

Amanda

That's odd as I thought the company send you away for a week during training to get these as part of the training?

I am surprised too as during the recruitment process earlier this year we were told that those who didn't have proof of a level 2 qualification would achieve level 2 as part of the apprenticeship.

Dynamonic

It's the waiting to see when I will be offered a place that's driving me up the wall and it's only been a few days!!!
What happens next? Is it case of getting a provisional offer of a place, followed by reference checks and then a medical before a firm offer is made?
I'm in Derby

That’s it. You’ll get a call with a start date, and get asked to arrange a medical. This is normally held in Leicester near the railway station.
You’ll also book a Pre-employment meeting with HR. This is normally held in Derby, where they’ll sort your travel passes and answer questions which you may have about the course and the role. Here, they’ll also check over your contract and paperwork, which you would have received after your call and been asked to sign.

You may also receive an invite to attend the academy for an evening, prior to your start date for a meet-and-greet session with your course trainer and fellow classmates. Here, you’ll learn more about how the course is structured and again, have the opportunity to ask questions, so it’s very good to make this if one is held.

It can be a lengthy and quiet wait in the Talent Pool, but when that call comes, it’s all go! :lol:

Last edited:

Ptrains

Thanks for the replies. It's been pretty much a year since I sent the application form off, so just wanted to get cracking... Patience is needed!!
I queried the ICT requirement, and have been told that after clarifying it with the apprentice driver team, its as was has been suggested - it's done at the beginning of the main driver course.

Thanks for the replies. It's been pretty much a year since I sent the application form off, so just wanted to get cracking... Patience is needed!!
I queried the ICT requirement, and have been told that after clarifying it with the apprentice driver team, its as was has been suggested - it's done at the beginning of the main driver course.

I reckon you got a long wait yet buddy, the new depot at Kettering is clogging up the accademy - 27 drivers to get trained up.

hi Ptrain, I have my part two assessment in Nottingham tomorrow morning...... Any tips, do's or dont's....
Also have you been given any indication at all of how long you may be left on the talent pool for ????

Part 2, the group exercises? Just be über confident, happy and chatty.

No one seems to know how many are in the talent pools but the fact that hiring is still going on is promising. Ur opc results are only valid for 24 months so you'd be hoiked out within that timescale. There's predicted to be a bigger churn at Notts next 12 months or so due to the Derby mentors and instructors all being used for training up the Kettering guys - 27 drivers there route learning etc all still going through the accademy at the mo. But it probably doesn't matter which depot you plump for tbf.

GinaGee

Part 2, the group exercises? Just be über confident, happy and chatty.

No one seems to know how many are in the talent pools but the fact that hiring is still going on is promising. Ur opc results are only valid for 24 months so you'd be hoiked out within that timescale. There's predicted to be a bigger churn at Notts next 12 months or so due to the Derby mentors and instructors all being used for training up the Kettering guys - 27 drivers there route learning etc all still going through the accademy at the mo. But it probably doesn't matter which depot you plump for tbf.

Are there any rumours on further mainline driver courses for Kettering in 2020?

Took my Part 2 assessment and MMI at Nottingham on Thursday, and told on the day that i had passed my computer based tests. MMI result has come through today and i have been told i have failed it and have now got to wait 6 months to re-take. Thing is the vibe i got with the interviewer wasnt good, and he didnt help by saying at the end of the interview "If you are unsuccessful at this stage you can ask for feed back...."
i just got the feeling i had reached the end of the line, after 14 months i am gutted. Dont know how anyone else on the day did ????
Has anyone got good advice for the MMI as being a current police officer i have loads of good examples, and did really well on the dmi ????
Just going to have to wait the 6 months now, hopefully take up where i left off and ask for any relevant feedback from the interviewer.....

Ptrains

Wellington8584 - Sorry I missed your earlier post - gutted for you buddy... PM me and I'll give you a pointer or two around the MMI as we share the same background!!

Wellsinho

Took my Part 2 assessment and MMI at Nottingham on Thursday, and told on the day that i had passed my computer based tests. MMI result has come through today and i have been told i have failed it and have now got to wait 6 months to re-take. Thing is the vibe i got with the interviewer wasnt good, and he didnt help by saying at the end of the interview "If you are unsuccessful at this stage you can ask for feed back...."
i just got the feeling i had reached the end of the line, after 14 months i am gutted. Dont know how anyone else on the day did ????
Has anyone got good advice for the MMI as being a current police officer i have loads of good examples, and did really well on the dmi ????
Just going to have to wait the 6 months now, hopefully take up where i left off and ask for any relevant feedback from the interviewer.....

Hi Wellington - I suffered the same fate as you, passed 6 parts of the MMI and failed one. Beyond gutted. Please feel free to drop me a message if you want to compare notes.

You've said you'll have to wait 6 months - I'm afraid you'll have to wait 6 months AND wait until a suitable TOC is recruiting again. :rolleyes:

Charlie2

https://jobs.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/vacancy.aspx?ref=2019-362
Trainee Depot Drivers - Derby and Nottingham Talent Pool
Drivers
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: £29,345 to £39,126
Closing Date: Wednesday 15 January 2020
Reference: 2019-362

Please note the minimum age requirement to apply for this role is 21. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds. Women and ethnic minority groups are currently under-represented within our Depot Driver population and are encouraged to apply as we value diversity and are committed to ensuring equality across our organisation.

We’re now recruiting for Trainee Depot Drivers to join us in 2020 for our Nottingham and Derby depots! At East Midlands Railway, we are passionate about providing our people with the opportunity for continuing professional development. As part of this commitment we have played a leading role in the development of the new national Train Driver level 3 apprenticeship standard, which was published in June 2018 by Institute of Apprenticeships. Our Depot Train Driver programme has been designed to meet the requirements of the new level 3 standard and as a result you will be automatically enrolled on the apprenticeship when you join the Company.

As part of the Trainee Depot Driver team you will be responsible for moving our trains around the Depots. You’ll be responsible for Depot driving, shunting, light maintenance and other tasks such as fault finding and reporting. Ensuring you keep people safe, you will be trained in and follow the rules and production requirements of East Midlands Railway. You will also be responsible for checking that the train environment is up to our market leading standards.

As a Trainee Depot Driver you will be required to work 37 hours per week, this will be predominantly afternoons and night shifts across the 7 days of the week, with a minimum of 12 hours rest between shifts.

Natural progression in this role is to become the Mainline Drivers of the future. This is an exciting opportunity to begin a fulfilling career with East Midlands Railway.

Successful candidates will need to be responsible and committed to providing excellent service through efficiency, high standards and most of all, safety. Excellent communication skills are an essential attribute for Depot Drivers to ensure you are able to work closely with the team around you. You do not require any previous train driving or railway qualifications or experience but candidates must hold a Level 2 qualification in English and Maths in order to achieve the apprenticeship qualification. We will support you in achieving a Level 2 qualification in ICT if you do not already possess this.

You will be expected to undergo 4 stages of assessment as part of the recruitment process, which include OPC national driver testing, as well as successful completion of a driver medical.

The first stage of assessments dates are:

• Stage 1 – Driver testing part 1: 12th - 14th February

• Stage 2 – Assessment Day: Wednesday 26th February

• Stage 3 – Competency based interview: 9th - 13th March

• Stage 4 – Driver testing part 2: WC 23rd March

Please note further testing will take place throughout 2020 in order to ensure all those successful at application stage are assessed. The dates provided above may also be subject to change.

Training courses will commence at a number of dates throughout 2020 and 2021. If successful you will be placed into a Talent Pool and be offered a role when opportunities become available. The apprenticeship scheme is a year long qualification and you will train alongside other successful applicants at our Training Academy based in Derby.

The successful candidates will enjoy an incredibly competitive salary, and fantastic benefits including a defined benefit salary pension scheme, free travel for you, your partner and children on the East Midlands Railway network, discounted travel with other train companies, cycle scheme and a wide range of other perks available through the employee benefits app.

To apply please complete the online application form and upload your CV. As we operate a blind screening process please remove ALL personal information including your name from your CV.

If you want to know more you can check out our careers site www.eastmidlandstrailway.co.uk/careers

Email details to a friend

" style="box-sizing: border-box; display: inline-block; line-height: 1; vertical-align: bottom; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; text-align: center;">
Find Jobs
Search Jobs:

Search

Advanced Job Search

Jobs by Email

Jobs by RSS

Login
Email / Username:

Password:

Terms of UseContact UsCookies
Operated by:
abellio-logo.png

© 2020 Abellio East Midlands Ltd.

Wellsinho

https://jobs.eastmidlandsrailway.co.uk/vacancy.aspx?ref=2019-362
Trainee Depot Drivers - Derby and Nottingham Talent Pool
Drivers
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: £29,345 to £39,126
Closing Date: Wednesday 15 January 2020
Reference: 2019-362

Please note the minimum age requirement to apply for this role is 21. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds. Women and ethnic minority groups are currently under-represented within our Depot Driver population and are encouraged to apply as we value diversity and are committed to ensuring equality across our organisation.

We’re now recruiting for Trainee Depot Drivers to join us in 2020 for our Nottingham and Derby depots! At East Midlands Railway, we are passionate about providing our people with the opportunity for continuing professional development. As part of this commitment we have played a leading role in the development of the new national Train Driver level 3 apprenticeship standard, which was published in June 2018 by Institute of Apprenticeships. Our Depot Train Driver programme has been designed to meet the requirements of the new level 3 standard and as a result you will be automatically enrolled on the apprenticeship when you join the Company.

As part of the Trainee Depot Driver team you will be responsible for moving our trains around the Depots. You’ll be responsible for Depot driving, shunting, light maintenance and other tasks such as fault finding and reporting. Ensuring you keep people safe, you will be trained in and follow the rules and production requirements of East Midlands Railway. You will also be responsible for checking that the train environment is up to our market leading standards.

As a Trainee Depot Driver you will be required to work 37 hours per week, this will be predominantly afternoons and night shifts across the 7 days of the week, with a minimum of 12 hours rest between shifts.

Natural progression in this role is to become the Mainline Drivers of the future. This is an exciting opportunity to begin a fulfilling career with East Midlands Railway.

Successful candidates will need to be responsible and committed to providing excellent service through efficiency, high standards and most of all, safety. Excellent communication skills are an essential attribute for Depot Drivers to ensure you are able to work closely with the team around you. You do not require any previous train driving or railway qualifications or experience but candidates must hold a Level 2 qualification in English and Maths in order to achieve the apprenticeship qualification. We will support you in achieving a Level 2 qualification in ICT if you do not already possess this.

You will be expected to undergo 4 stages of assessment as part of the recruitment process, which include OPC national driver testing, as well as successful completion of a driver medical.

The first stage of assessments dates are:

• Stage 1 – Driver testing part 1: 12th - 14th February

• Stage 2 – Assessment Day: Wednesday 26th February

• Stage 3 – Competency based interview: 9th - 13th March

• Stage 4 – Driver testing part 2: WC 23rd March

Please note further testing will take place throughout 2020 in order to ensure all those successful at application stage are assessed. The dates provided above may also be subject to change.

Training courses will commence at a number of dates throughout 2020 and 2021. If successful you will be placed into a Talent Pool and be offered a role when opportunities become available. The apprenticeship scheme is a year long qualification and you will train alongside other successful applicants at our Training Academy based in Derby.

The successful candidates will enjoy an incredibly competitive salary, and fantastic benefits including a defined benefit salary pension scheme, free travel for you, your partner and children on the East Midlands Railway network, discounted travel with other train companies, cycle scheme and a wide range of other perks available through the employee benefits app.

To apply please complete the online application form and upload your CV. As we operate a blind screening process please remove ALL personal information including your name from your CV.

If you want to know more you can check out our careers site www.eastmidlandstrailway.co.uk/careers

Email details to a friend

" style="box-sizing: border-box; display: inline-block; line-height: 1; vertical-align: bottom; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; text-align: center;">
Find Jobs
Search Jobs:

Search

Advanced Job Search

Jobs by Email

Jobs by RSS

Login
Email / Username:

Password:

Terms of UseContact UsCookies
Operated by:
abellio-logo.png

© 2020 Abellio East Midlands Ltd.

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

nathan211

Morning, is there any people who attended stage 2 in Nottingham on Monday 22nd July now on the March course?

REB

Morning, is there any people who attended stage 2 in Nottingham on Monday 22nd July now on the March course?
Not heard anything yet Nathan but I suspect places will be offered fairly soon if it’s a March start date.
Have you been offered a place on the March course?

34fh0131

Are you referring to the Mainline driver role for Kettering? If so, I am in the TP and haven't heard anything yet about a March course. I did my stage 2 in Sept though.

There is a seperate thread for Mainline, if that's what you're referring to.

Bagnall

Hello, I'm currently a serving firefighter and interested in the current job advert as a trainee depot driver at east midlands trains :) From first glance the recruitment process looks similar to the fire service, but wondered if somebody could give me more insight into what is involved at each stage?

Also, what is the average time it takes to then progress to a mainline driver? Are there many opportunities to do so?

This will be my first attempt at the process, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

• Stage 1 – Driver testing part 1:
• Stage 2 – Assessment Day:
• Stage 3 – Competency based interview:
• Stage 4 – Driver testing part 2:

Dynamonic

Hello, I'm currently a serving firefighter and interested in the current job advert as a trainee depot driver at east midlands trains :) From first glance the recruitment process looks similar to the fire service, but wondered if somebody could give me more insight into what is involved at each stage?

Also, what is the average time it takes to then progress to a mainline driver? Are there many opportunities to do so?

This will be my first attempt at the process, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

• Stage 1 – Driver testing part 1:
• Stage 2 – Assessment Day:
• Stage 3 – Competency based interview:
• Stage 4 – Driver testing part 2:

Hi there Bagnall, and welcome to the forum.

Have a read through the earlier posts of this thread, and the ‘Becoming a Train Driver’ thread at the top of the page for a great insight into the recruitment process for train driver positions, as they’re largely standardised.
In terms of this process, Stage 1 is comprised of the OPC Train Driver Stage 1 paper tests, which are the Group Bourdon, Trainability for Rules & Procedures (TRP) and the Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessment (TEA-Occ).
Stage 2 is an EMR run assessment day, normally composed of some group exercises and ‘speed’ interviews.
Stage 3 is a competency-based interview with Driver Managers. (Often abbreviated to ‘DMI’)
Stage 4 is the second stage of the OPC assessments, made up of some computerised vigilance and concentration tests, and the Multi-Modal Interview (MMI).

In terms of progression to mainline, EMR recruit internally for ‘Trainee Mainline Drivers’ from their pool of Depot and Service Drivers a few times a year.
Progression to mainline is based on seniority in the Depot Driver role, and whether or not you have been placed on any development plans as a result of any incidents.
On average, it takes about 18 months from passing out as a qualified Depot Driver, to progression onto the mainline, but obviously recruitment needs will vary your own length of wait.
However, the Depot Driver role is extremely valuable in terms of learning the rules, units, faults and failures, and will provide you with some great experiences to take with you when you eventually progress. :)

Last edited:

StillWaiting

Does anyone know how long train driver test results are valid with EMR? Some companies are 2 years whereas others seem to be up to 5 years. My results expire at the end of January so not sure if EMR would honour them, but currently in another talent pool so not keen to resit again in case a lower score cancels out my current (enhanced) passes

Greety

Hello all,

I've failed my MMI with Chiltern at 30th July last year, but i am just thinking to reapply again for east midlands depot driver, but currently my 6 months is not up yet.
Does anyone know about this rule? I was just thinking that they might accept my application even though i still got 18 days left.
Anyone has any idea if it's worth a try?
Thank you :)

Twotwo

Hello all,

I've failed my MMI with Chiltern at 30th July last year, but i am just thinking to reapply again for east midlands depot driver, but currently my 6 months is not up yet.
Does anyone know about this rule? I was just thinking that they might accept my application even though i still got 18 days left.
Anyone has any idea if it's worth a try?
Thank you :)

Yes by the time they process the application and conduct assesments your 6 months should be up. For the date bit jus say the month and not the date lol. But only redo it if you are confident enough because if you fail again then it's game over.

Dynamonic

Does anyone know how long train driver test results are valid with EMR? Some companies are 2 years whereas others seem to be up to 5 years. My results expire at the end of January so not sure if EMR would honour them, but currently in another talent pool so not keen to resit again in case a lower score cancels out my current (enhanced) passes

EMR normally accept results that are no more than two years old. This is to prevent your assessment passes potentially expiring whilst you are waiting in the Talent Pool.
Because of this, I would expect you’ll be required to resit them.

StillWaiting

EMR normally accept results that are no more than two years old. This is to prevent your assessment passes potentially expiring whilst you are waiting in the Talent Pool.
Because of this, I would expect you’ll be required to resit them.

Thanks Dynamonic, I thought as much. Not sure it's worth re-sitting in case something goes wrong and I'm then ejected from my current toc talent pool.

Roulstone

Hi there Bagnall, and welcome to the forum.

Have a read through the earlier posts of this thread, and the ‘Becoming a Train Driver’ thread at the top of the page for a great insight into the recruitment process for train driver positions, as they’re largely standardised.
In terms of this process, Stage 1 is comprised of the OPC Train Driver Stage 1 paper tests, which are the Group Bourdon, Trainability for Rules & Procedures (TRP) and the Test of Everyday Attention for Occupational Assessment (TEA-Occ).
Stage 2 is an EMR run assessment day, normally composed of some group exercises and ‘speed’ interviews.
Stage 3 is a competency-based interview with Driver Managers. (Often abbreviated to ‘DMI’)
Stage 4 is the second stage of the OPC assessments, made up of some computerised vigilance and concentration tests, and the Multi-Modal Interview (MMI).

In terms of progression to mainline, EMR recruit internally for ‘Trainee Mainline Drivers’ from their pool of Depot and Service Drivers a few times a year.
Progression to mainline is based on seniority in the Depot Driver role, and whether or not you have been placed on any development plans as a result of any incidents.
On average, it takes about 18 months from passing out as a qualified Depot Driver, to progression onto the mainline, but obviously recruitment needs will vary your own length of wait.
However, the Depot Driver role is extremely valuable in terms of learning the rules, units, faults and failures, and will provide you with some great experiences to take with you when you eventually progress. :)
This post has helped me too, thank you!

Lopez

Hi all, I failed at Assessment day stage a year ago but my OPC results are valid til November so I'm considering reapplying this time, just weighing up if I want to put myself through it all again as was gutted at failing last year. Has anything changed at all now it's not Midland Mainline and is Abellio instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.