• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver - DB Cargo - Various locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tiptoptaff

Established Member
The job description says driving within yards, surely this is just another Junior Driver recruitment drive?

Pete C

The job description says driving within yards, surely this is just another Junior Driver recruitment drive?
This is what I thought - but if you look on their careers page it is separate from the Junior Driver ads.

Actually looking at it they've copied and pasted the whole ad from the Junior Driver ones.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
This is what I thought - but if you look on their careers page it is separate from the Junior Driver ads.

Actually looking at it they've copied and pasted the whole ad from the Junior Driver ones.
Don't disagree it's separate. Just a bit suspicious...

Saffa

So after emailing the recruitment team to clarify, they have replied asking me to submit a separate application form for the Trainee Driver position.

Abit strange as I filled out the application linked to the advert they had on their website

The application also has a different email address to send it to that the email on the actual advert!!!

I sent it to both emails..

Saffa

Sorry for what seems like I'm taking over the thread everyone!

I've got this reply from recruitment:

Dear candidate

The new advert is for a Trainee Driver role which is very similar to the Junior Driver role, however you will be trained to go direct to the main line after training is fully completed
Could you apply with the following application form for the trainee Driver post if you are interested in the role

(See attached file: Trainee_driver_application_form-data.rtf)

Many Thanks

Christy

Same
Sorry for what seems like I'm taking over the thread everyone!

I've got this reply from recruitment:

Dear candidate

The new advert is for a Trainee Driver role which is very similar to the Junior Driver role, however you will be trained to go direct to the main line after training is fully completed
Could you apply with the following application form for the trainee Driver post if you are interested in the role

(See attached file: Trainee_driver_application_form-data.rtf)

Many Thanks

Christy

Same here which is a tad frustrating as it took ages to do on a phone!

Stigy

Established Member
I wonder what the closing date is, or is they just close them when they have a set amount of applicants? I applied for Junior Driver and it states that you’ll be informed of whether you’ve made it to the next stage of the process no more than two weeks after the closing date for applications, but can’t see said date anywhere?

Saffa

I wonder what the closing date is, or is they just close them when they have a set amount of applicants? I applied for Junior Driver and it states that you’ll be informed of whether you’ve made it to the next stage of the process no more than two weeks after the closing date for applications, but can’t see said date anywhere?
I couldn't find one either..

Picklebutton

It appears a lot of TOCs/FOCs now use the former - an automated close off once a set number of applicants have applied. Those with online tests as part of the initial application process can even automatically weed out those who are complete non-starters. I suspect the same applies if a large number still go on to sit the assessments at the relevant TOC/FOC. Take the cream off the top and ditch the rest. They can afford to be choosy.

Ception

Does anyone know what the hours are like working at dbcargo, the routes potentially covered and also is it mainly night work?

Thanks in advance

Stigy

Established Member
It appears a lot of TOCs/FOCs now use the former - an automated close off once a set number of applicants have applied. Those with online tests as part of the initial application process can even automatically weed out those who are complete non-starters. I suspect the same applies if a large number still go on to sit the assessments at the relevant TOC/FOC. Take the cream off the top and ditch the rest. They can afford to be choosy.
Using the former, I’m surprised they haven’t closed the advert yet in that case, as I’d imagine being a driver grade, they’d receive hundreds if not thousands of applications within a week or so?

Picklebutton

Using the former, I’m surprised they haven’t closed the advert yet in that case, as I’d imagine being a driver grade, they’d receive hundreds if not thousands of applications within a week or so?
It depends. A lot of DB driver work is permanent nights and often time away from home. That life doesn’t suit everyone. A work colleague’s neighbour drives for DB, usually long-haul, often away from home entirely during that time, and only driving at night. He does a week on and then has a week off. Sounds great to get a week off every other week, but speaking as someone with experience of working seven nights in a row, in the long term it can wreak havoc on the body/appetite, and seriously impact on home life, and social activities too.

Atishyou

It depends. A lot of DB driver work is permanent nights and often time away from home. That life doesn’t suit everyone. A work colleague’s neighbour drives for DB, usually long-haul, often away from home entirely during that time, and only driving at night. He does a week on and then has a week off. Sounds great to get a week off every other week, but speaking as someone with experience of working seven nights in a row, in the long term it can wreak havoc on the body/appetite, and seriously impact on home life, and social activities too.

I'm not sure where this person is based, but it sounds like Chinese whispers, them being a work colleague's neighbour. For a start, the maximum amount of consecutive lodging turns in a row is 5 per week, not 7. Also, having a week on and off means they wouldn't meet their working instances for the year and with annual leave it'd leave a lot of uncovered jobs! I'd be interested to hear where they are based and to see a copy of their link.

Last edited:

Atishyou

Does anyone know what the hours are like working at dbcargo, the routes potentially covered and also is it mainly night work?

Thanks in advance

Depending on the location you mean would depend on all the answers to the questions you have asked.

The hours are annualised hours, 1595, dropping closer to 1530 as mentioned in the advert. They average out at 35 hours at week at the moment, more some weeks, less others. Once you've done your hours or instances of work, you can then stay at home (or work extra) at your choice.

The routes are dependent on the hub.

I don't know of any hub that is constant nights.

Picklebutton

I'd be interested to hear where they are based and to see a copy of their link.
Could be that my colleague has misinterpreted things, but the individual lives in Didcot. Whether they choose to work permanent nights, or that was the contract at the time of employment (been doing it for 10 years) I don’t know. They have a varying pattern of destinations, into London, down to Southampton, and a lot to the north of the UK.

jamess115

I've been following this thread with interest but was a little confused by the advert - Ie, When it says, 'You must not have taken and failed the train driver assessment twice before' - Anyone know whether this is referring to the Psychometric Tests (Stages 1+2) or the actual final driver assessment (when you're a trainee) & before passing out ? OR Both ?
Any feedback really appreciated. - Cheers

Stigy

Established Member
I've been following this thread with interest but was a little confused by the advert - Ie, When it says, 'You must not have taken and failed the train driver assessment twice before' - Anyone know whether this is referring to the Psychometric Tests (Stages 1+2) or the actual final driver assessment (when you're a trainee) & before passing out ? OR Both ?
Any feedback really appreciated. - Cheers
It relates to the initial Psychometric Assessments (including the MMI). As a rule you only get to attempts at them (failed attempts).

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Could be that my colleague has misinterpreted things, but the individual lives in Didcot. Whether they choose to work permanent nights, or that was the contract at the time of employment (been doing it for 10 years) I don’t know. They have a varying pattern of destinations, into London, down to Southampton, and a lot to the north of the UK.

One of my drivers is ex DB at Didcot and one of his remarks was the fact he had to do 8 straight weeks of nights at one point in his roster is part of what drove him to passenger work.

Pete C

Having done night shifts before I would say that long stints of nights is better than chopping and changing all the time as you can get into a routine. For me, anyway.

Atishyou

Having done night shifts before I would say that long stints of nights is better than chopping and changing all the time as you can get into a routine. For me, anyway.

It's whatever works for you isn't it. Personally, we have about 3 weeks of nights in our 13 week link, with 2 flex weeks (can be rostered any shifts for up to 5 days of that week).

People need to look at it for what it is, it's an opportunity to get a driving role on the railway. If they don't like nights, don't get a job on the railway. Many passenger depots have shifts starting at 2 or 3am and with more and more running night services, there will be some more night work (obviously less than freight).

Status
Not open for further replies.