• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver - Freightliner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon87

Afternoon all

Recently applied for the above position and have passed the initial questionnaire stage. I’ve now been invited by the OPC to complete a VSE and magnificent 7 SJT.

Obviously I’ll utilise the practice material that I’ve been sent by the OPC. I’ve also got the yellow ‘how2become’ guide too, which I know has mixed reviews but it’s all practice. However, I thought I’d create this post to see if anyone that has been through the process could let me know what to expect or even offer some hints and tips on this next stage.

Cheers

Pete

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

S26Crewe

Hey Pete!
I went through it recently, and if I'm honest used nothing more than what the OPC sent and the useful advice I found by doing a search on this forum and practiced for around 20 mins a night.
Good luck!

TW3M

Good luck

Last edited:

D5581

Anyone had any feedback on their VSE and M7SJT?
I know the email said give it 25 working days from the deadline, but I know of some people previously have had their feedback within a week.

Anon87

Anyone had any feedback on their VSE and M7SJT?
I know the email said give it 25 working days from the deadline, but I know of some people previously have had their feedback within a week.

Hi all

Just had an email from the OPC titled “your train driver application with Freighliner” - thought here we go then here’s my results for the M7 and VSE.. only for it to be an email asking me to take part in some testing trials whilst I’m waiting to hear back on my results!

On the edge of my seat was an understatement haha!

D5581

Hi all

Just had an email from the OPC titled “your train driver application with Freighliner” - thought here we go then here’s my results for the M7 and VSE.. only for it to be an email asking me to take part in some testing trials whilst I’m waiting to hear back on my results!

On the edge of my seat was an understatement haha!

I also got an email with the same title and thought the same. Was pleasantly surprised to be told I passed them and I'm through to a DMI next week.

Anon87

I also got an email with the same title and thought the same. Was pleasantly surprised to be told I passed them and I'm through to a DMI next week.
I think you’re further ahead in the process to me! The ones I’ve recently done are just the initial m7 sjt and vse tests!

D5581

The ones I've recently done for FL were the M7SJT and VSE. I do have a set of psychometric tests under my belt but not sure if they were enhanced or not thus not sure if I have to have a go at them to the enhanced level for FL

Anon87

The ones I've recently done for FL were the M7SJT and VSE. I do have a set of psychometric tests under my belt but not sure if they were enhanced or not thus not sure if I have to have a go at them to the enhanced level for FL

Oh right, fair play. You must have passed them to enhanced as that’s the FL standard. Good luck with the DMI!

What depot did you apply for and do you have any tips for me if I get through to the assessment stage?

Georgie89

Hey guys. So i also just got an email to say i am through to DMI however i have never been or applied for a train driver position so dont have any psychometric tests under my belt so to speak. I applied for readinf and have my interview in Bristol. Does anyone know if theres flexibility on these interview dates as my work wont allow me to have the day off so im trying to swap shifts atm.

Anon87

Hey guys. So i also just got an email to say i am through to DMI however i have never been or applied for a train driver position so dont have any psychometric tests under my belt so to speak. I applied for readinf and have my interview in Bristol. Does anyone know if theres flexibility on these interview dates as my work wont allow me to have the day off so im trying to swap shifts atm.

Good luck mate. I applied for Shepton Mallet depot but haven’t heard anything yet apart from that email today asking me to take part in trial assessments

LordCreed

When did you do your assessments and MMI with OPC? I'm waiting an interview for Reading.

You're best contacting them and asking, as no-one on here will know exactly how flexible they are.

Good luck with your interview, are they still interviewing by web cam?

Georgie89

When did you do your assessments and MMI with OPC? I'm waiting an interview for Reading.

You're best contacting them and asking, as no-one on here will know exactly how flexible they are.
This is the thing im confused about as i havent done any other assessments or mmi with OPC. I have only done the initial online tests vse and m7sjt.
My partner also applied and its the same for him.

deepblue82

This is the thing im confused about as i havent done any other assessments or mmi with OPC. I have only done the initial online tests vse and m7sjt.
My partner also applied and its the same for him.

Well frankly I think there is a bit of a mess up. I applied for Shepton Mallet and I have already passed all the psychometric tests to an enhanced standard and MMI with Freightliner / OPC for previous role at Eastleigh in January and I received an email from OPC yesterday saying 'perhaps the role of train driver is not for you' and that I could not apply for another role with Freightliner for 6 months. Absolutely bizarre.

Anon87

Well frankly I think there is a bit of a mess up. I applied for Shepton Mallet and I have already passed all the psychometric tests to an enhanced standard and MMI with Freightliner / OPC for previous role at Eastleigh in January and I received an email from OPC yesterday saying 'perhaps the role of train driver is not for you' and that I could not apply for another role with Freightliner for 6 months. Absolutely bizarre.

Something’s up isn’t it. I got an email asking me to take part in some trial assessments while I’m waiting for my m7sjt and vse to be processed. Then about an hour later I got another email recalling the email I got inviting me to take part in the trials. Yet if I click the link to the OPC page, the trial assessments are there ready for me to take, plus another set of trial assessments which it says I’ve completed (I haven’t).

Confused!

MDCW

I passed everything but the MMI with SWR. Just waiting for my second shot at MMI and told by OPC that I too got the email saying the role of train driver is not for me. That won't stop me!

cossie4i

Good luck mate. I applied for Shepton Mallet depot but haven’t heard anything yet apart from that email today asking me to take part in trial assessments
The depot is Torr Quarry (Merehead) it’s halfway between Shepton Mallet and Frome.

Anon87

The depot is Torr Quarry (Merehead) it’s halfway between Shepton Mallet and Frome.
Thanks mate.

On the ad it said Shepton Mallet/Mendip Hills so I thought there would be a more specific location.

Just checked and I’m within an hour’s commute (55 mins).

Last edited:

cossie4i

Thanks mate.

On the ad it said Shepton Mallet/Mendip Hills so I thought there would be a more specific location.

Just checked and I’m within an hour’s commute (55 mins).
The main booking on point is Merehead. We have just started booking on at Westbury as well now facilities have been put in place, only a few diagrams at the moment.

Stigy

Established Member
Oh right, fair play. You must have passed them to enhanced as that’s the FL standard. Good luck with the DMI!

What depot did you apply for and do you have any tips for me if I get through to the assessment stage?
No necessarily, as he’s waiting to hear. Freightliner (or the OPC) will ask you to attend for assessments anyway and only tell you when guy get there if you need to actually take any, and if so which ones. Seems a strange way of doing things, but that’s what happened when I was assessed and had been the case with others since. It may of course have changed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.