• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver - Freightliner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon87

No necessarily, as he’s waiting to hear. Freightliner (or the OPC) will ask you to attend for assessments anyway and only tell you when guy get there if you need to actually take any, and if so which ones. Seems a strange way of doing things, but that’s what happened when I was assessed and had been the case with others since. It may of course have changed now.
I see!

I presumed that as D5581 has been invited to DMI that the assessments he’s got under his belt are sufficient for FL’s standard. I’m new to the process though so by no means an expert!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stigy

Established Member
I see!

I presumed that as D5581 has been invited to DMI that the assessments he’s got under his belt are sufficient for FL’s standard. I’m new to the process though so by no means an expert!
You are correct...apologies haha, I didn’t read the post before yours so that’s where the confusion lies. If he has a DMI and has been told he passed the other assessments, they will be to enhanced standard assuming they were with Freightliner.

Anon87

You are correct...apologies haha, I didn’t read the post before yours so that’s where the confusion lies. If he has a DMI and has been told he passed the other assessments, they will be to enhanced standard assuming they were with Freightliner.
We got there in the end mate!

Is there a list anywhere of the T/FOCs that require national and those who require enhanced?

Stigy

Established Member
We got there in the end mate!

Is there a list anywhere of the T/FOCs that require national and those who require enhanced?
I don’t believe there is unfortunately, although I know the following are enhanced/national from experience and reading threads around here;

Freightliner - Enhanced
Avanti - Enhanced
Arriva Rail London - Enhanced
West Midlands Trains - Enhanced
East Midlands Railway - Enhanced (I think?)
Great Western Railway - National
South Western Railway - National
DB Cargo - National
Southern - National (not sure if it’s the same for all GTR TOCs?).

Anon87

I don’t believe there is unfortunately, although I know the following are enhanced/national from experience and reading threads around here;

Freightliner - Enhanced
Avanti - Enhanced
Arriva Rail London - Enhanced
West Midlands Trains - Enhanced
East Midlands Railway - Enhanced (I think?)
Great Western Railway - National
South Western Railway - National
DB Cargo - National
Southern - National (not sure if it’s the same for all GTR TOCs?).

Thanks for that mate! I can add TfW as enhanced.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
The standard v enhanced thing always makes me wonder the point.

Once you're qualified, no one asks if you've passed standard or enhanced when moving between TOCs! The license is the same, whether you pass the assesments to standard or enhanced level!

Stigy

Established Member
The standard v enhanced thing always makes me wonder the point.

Once you're qualified, no one asks if you've passed standard or enhanced when moving between TOCs! The license is the same, whether you pass the assesments to standard or enhanced level!
I guess it doesn’t matter once you’re qualified. Before that though they’re investing thousands in each trainee so want to make sure they have the right candidate. Whether it works is always going to be debatable. I passed to enhanced standard and look at the state of me! :D

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I guess it doesn’t matter once you’re qualified. Before that though they’re investing thousands in each trainee so want to make sure they have the right candidate. Whether it works is always going to be debatable. I passed to enhanced standard and look at the state of me! :D
No comment.

Anon87

Just had my failure email. Passed the m7, failed the vse. I lost it towards the end of section 3 I believe.

It was my first time so at least I know what to expect for next time.

I just need to ascertain whether I’ve lost a life now..

baz962

Established Member
Just had my failure email. Passed the m7, failed the vse. I lost it towards the end of section 3 I believe.

It was my first time so at least I know what to expect for next time.

I just need to ascertain whether I’ve lost a life now..
You have I believe lost a life for tocs that require the vse. You haven't lost a normal psychometric life.

Stigy

Established Member
True. Do a lot of people fail on the first go or am I just a div? Lol
Sorry to hear mate. Loads of people don’t make it on their first attempt (I don’t like to use the word ‘fail’). You’re certainly not a div :D

I was sure o failed first time as I lost some time as my phone rang (which was connected to my computer.....although on silent it still rang on the computer) and made me lose the test screen.

It’s not a great system that this is one of your attempts in my opinion (I couldn’t believe it when I learned that), as it’s an unmonitored assessment which could be done by anybody (not necessarily the person intended for), and relies on your personal internet connection etc to work properly.

Having said that, there are two strikes generally for a reason, and not everybody will pass it at all. It’s just the nature of the beast and how you’re initially assessed as being able to train to be a train driver.

Good luck for next time, I’m sure you’ll nail it!

Anon87

Sorry to hear mate. Loads of people don’t make it on their first attempt (I don’t like to use the word ‘fail’). You’re certainly not a div :D

It’s not a great system that this is one of your attempts in my opinion, as it’s an unmonitored assessment which could be done by anybody (not necessarily the person intended for), and relies on your personal internet connection etc to work properly.
Thanks mate. We go again!

I’m hoping the attempt is just for Freighliner, not for all toc/focs that use the vse. Who knows!

Last edited:

hiredgun

I didn’t think the ‘home’ online tests counted on the 2 stikes... only the OPC stuff, although by the looks of it I might be wrong?

I thought you still had to do them even if you had a Physco pass from elsewhere???

Stigy

Established Member
I didn’t think the ‘home’ online tests counted on the 2 stikes... only the OPC stuff, although by the looks of it I might be wrong?

I thought you still had to do them even if you had a Physco pass from elsewhere???
You only have to do them if you apply to a TOC or FOC who uses them and you’ve not done them before (I think they last 5 years?). Not all companies use the VSE, so if you’ve passed psychometric tests with a TOC or FOC who doesn’t use them and subsequently apply to one which does, you’ll obviously have to do them.

I found it strange that they counted towards a life, but looking at it separately to the other tests is best, so there’s a 2 strike rule for the VSE rather than it being about the two strikes for the enhanced standard of testing.

hiredgun

As I said, happy to accept I’m wrong, makes sense to think of it as 2 separate tests with their own 2 strike rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.