• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee driver jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

1stch0ice

Hi all, I only joined this forum today and after having a good read have realised how lucky I am. I've been applying for trainee drivers jobs for about 4 years, in the last 2 weeks Ive been to 2 dm interviews, have been offered a job by Southern and am waiting to hear if i was successful by southeastern !

Good luck to all that are looking for driver jobs and never give up trying !:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnsonr380

Great news mate. Like a good news story, just goes to show you really need to persevere in this sector and its not always easy !

jhe1979

Hiya, Ive also passed all that's needed with southern, not been told when the course starts, heard in march sometime, do you know when? have you received an offer in the post or?

jimjims

I'm waiting for a trainee train driver position to arise with Southern but haven't seen anything advertised for the last 4 or 5 months! Can I ask where you saw the vacancy advertised and for which depot? Many thanks.

jhe1979

I applied for southern last feb, started the tests and interviews mid Jan just gone

hockers193

Not sure what happened last yr but I applied back in April and eventually got an email saying I'd passed the paper sift and would be in invited to assessments in Oct. When it never came I chased it to be told all the vacancies had been filled, I assume by internal applicants. Bit miffed to be honest. Why say I'll be invited to assessments and then not follow through, or even bother letting me know!

Next time.....

1stch0ice

Hiya, Ive also passed all that's needed with southern, not been told when the course starts, heard in march sometime, do you know when? have you received an offer in the post or?
I,ve got my southern medical in a few days time. courses are starting in March and again in May

387star

On Moderation
Not sure what happened last yr but I applied back in April and eventually got an email saying I'd passed the paper sift and would be in invited to assessments in Oct. When it never came I chased it to be told all the vacancies had been filled, I assume by internal applicants. Bit miffed to be honest. Why say I'll be invited to assessments and then not follow through, or even bother letting me know!

Next time.....

Did you apply for Barnham? Think those were filled internally I know a female guard got one of the positions

Last edited:

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Never give up, I was told I had no chance and funnily enough I'm doing the job a few years later.

SHRUBS

Can anyone help I have just competed the test and pass. The I had an interview and passed they told me I would be put on a list and it may take upto 3 years to get a 2nd interview? Dose anyone have any in put?

1stch0ice

3 years seems a long time to wait if you've passed all the assessments , although I have read similar posts before, the rail industry seem to have some strange practices ! . My experience has been quite different it would seem, having had unsuccessful applications and assessments over the last 4 years, I finally passed with southeastern in Dec 14 and now only weeks on, have had dm interviews with se and southern !. Just waiting on medicals now ( southern med next Tue ) maybe my records over the years shows determination or I've been in the right place at the right time .
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Next time.....

I applied to Southern in Feb 14 and was also told the same as you, even getting an email to say I'd been removed from the talent pool due to vacancies being filled. I left it at that and just kept a good look out for further vacancy adverts then out of the blue got a phone call from southern resourcing inviting me for assessment ! as I'd done these with southeastern i skipped straight to the dfft ( southeastern don't do this test ) and had dm interview 2 days later !

don't give up as stranger things can happen !
Hi all, I only joined this forum today and after having a good read have realised how lucky I am. I've been applying for trainee drivers jobs for about 4 years, in the last 2 weeks Ive been to 2 dm interviews, have been offered a job by Southern and am waiting to hear if i was successful by southeastern !

P.s I also thought being 50 years of age would be a barrier , but it hasn't been so fair play to these for that !

DRFT101

Hi, I have asked previously, regarding the very short notice TOCs expect people to work to - as illustrated in the post copied below. I also had an email out of the blue asking me to attend for the next stage - over 12 months from last contact, with just s few days notice. Fortunately I was ok. But does beg the question if they want the best, most responsible people surely they are more likely to be in jobs they take seriously and will wish to do the right thing and not be forced into actions that are wrong?

... out of the blue got a phone call from southern resourcing inviting me for assessment ! as I'd done these with southeastern i skipped straight to the dfft ( southeastern don't do this test ) and had dm interview 2 days later !

Soonwe

The position is for Central London station! I hope that they'll offer me more than the based sallery .also what discount they have for oyster that will give to me?

SHRUBS

Hi could you tell me what book to start looking at I have just passed the test and 1st interview? Hopfuly will get a job soon..!

InMotion

Congratulation 1stch0ice!

I got an assessment coming up with Southern, any tips for the assessment and interview?

1stch0ice

Hi could you tell me what book to start looking at I have just passed the test and 1st interview? Hopfuly will get a job soon..!

You don't need to read any books, I assume you mean in preparation for your dm interview ? you can find all you need to know about the toc by looking through their website ( about us section usually ) and if you google the toc, you will find that Wikipedia has a wealth of information about company history, who's in charge, routes, rolling stock etc.

evoice

You don't need to read any books, I assume you mean in preparation for your dm interview ? you can find all you need to know about the toc by looking through their website ( about us section usually ) and if you google the toc, you will find that Wikipedia has a wealth of information about company history, who's in charge, routes, rolling stock etc.

Hi 1stch0ice, first of all many congrats.
Just wanted to ask whether southeastern DM interview consist of any competency based questions or are they like about why train driver, about the company, about yourself etc. Got the interview coming up.

Johncleesefan

Hi 1stch0ice, first of all many congrats.
Just wanted to ask whether southeastern DM interview consist of any competency based questions or are they like about why train driver, about the company, about yourself etc. Got the interview coming up.

The dm is very company focused so as stated company website and wiki are your best friends. Find the routes your depot signs who the ceo is etc. Why do you want to be a train driver is a very tough question. Research the role and what you can bring to it. What similar experience you have ??????

1stch0ice

Dm interview with Southeastern did have 3 or 4 competency questions , "when have you gone the extra mile to give customer service " , " can you tell me when you have dealt with an emergency situation " etc

1stch0ice

Hi 1stch0ice,

How long did your interview take on 3 or 4 competency questions?

The Southeastern interview was fairly quick, about 50 mins. The one I had with southern was 90 mins but to be fair I can rabbit on at times !
Congratulation 1stch0ice!

I got an assessment coming up with Southern, any tips for the assessment and interview?

Thank you

I can't emphasise enough the importance of practice, make good use of the practice material that they should of sent to you. On the tests you need to be fast and accurate, but I'd say accuracy is most important. If you get to the interview, try and use real examples of situations that you have been in, these can come from work or social / hobby . Above all be honest and be yourself.

Good Luck !

Well done. Just signed up to this Forum today; and it is good to hear your news, as it gives hope to me; and others. Personally, I've been trying since 2011 and passed everything pre 2013, but for the old computer tests. It took me 6 or 7 tries to sit all the tests and complete them, travelled all over UK, something of a pilgrimage! But, I could never pass the old computer test. After three years, I was losing the faith and gave up for a year, but just one application I'd forgotten about, got me an invite to an assessment day six months later, dreading it, got no sleep night before; and I sat and passed all the current tests and the new computer tests in one morning! I'm not there yet, just waiting for Manager interview (it will be my first attempt at this final stage - so hints and tips please), but I passed more tests in one morning than I had managed in three years!! I still approach it more in hope than expectation of being a driver, but now have the tests under my belt; and quite happy at that - just one more push; and I actually might make it. The point of my waffle, is to keep the faith; and just keep trying - it might come easy on one day, it might take longer, but it is worth it.

1stch0ice

Well done. Just signed up to this Forum today; and it is good to hear your news, as it gives hope to me; and others. Personally, I've been trying since 2011 and passed everything pre 2013, but for the old computer tests. It took me 6 or 7 tries to sit all the tests and complete them, travelled all over UK, something of a pilgrimage! But, I could never pass the old computer test. After three years, I was losing the faith and gave up for a year, but just one application I'd forgotten about, got me an invite to an assessment day six months later, dreading it, got no sleep night before; and I sat and passed all the current tests and the new computer tests in one morning! I'm not there yet, just waiting for Manager interview (it will be my first attempt at this final stage - so hints and tips please), but I passed more tests in one morning than I had managed in three years!! I still approach it more in hope than expectation of being a driver, but now have the tests under my belt; and quite happy at that - just one more push; and I actually might make it. The point of my waffle, is to keep the faith; and just keep trying - it might come easy on one day, it might take longer, but it is worth it.

That's an excellent result for you too, the assessments are the hardest part ( I think so anyway ) your story sounds very similar to mine ! I found the managers interviews ok, I'm quite good in interviews but was nervous none the less, just make sure you use real life experiences and do lots of homework about the company you are being interviewed by. Wikipedia is a good source, find out about routes from your chosen depot too. I read all the info and made a list on paper of key facts, then read the list over and over again and got my daughter to test me. A hard thing was that I had an interview one day and another with a different company the next ! so loads of stuff floating around in my head :)

I'm off for my medical now

Good luck and fingers crossed

Good luck with the medical, but all will be well; and enjoy your new job when you start. I've only just signed up to Forum so can only message publicly, but I wanted to thank you for your advice which I will definitely act upon.

I have now ordered the Platinum "How to become a train driver" package, perhaps a bit after the the horse as bolted, as I have already passed the assessment, but it has one section devoted to the interview section. I want to give myself the best chance possible as it has taken so much just to get this far.

I'm glad to hear you feel the assessments are the harder part, that gives me a boost, but I am still not there and whilst excited do want to avoid being complacent and will follow your sound preparation advice. Many thanks; and good luck.

Ihopeipass

I managed to pass my driver assessments with DB Schenker the other day, and have been put into a talent pool with them, but i was told that as the tests are a industry standard then I can if I wish use them at other companies, I know most of the companies are not recruiting trainee drivers, but does anyone know about freightliner? I wish I could check their website but It never seems to connect when I log on, anyone else have this problem with their website.

Cheers

Kells21

I managed to pass my driver assessments with DB Schenker the other day, and have been put into a talent pool with them, but i was told that as the tests are a industry standard then I can if I wish use them at other companies, I know most of the companies are not recruiting trainee drivers, but does anyone know about freightliner? I wish I could check their website but It never seems to connect when I log on, anyone else have this problem with their website.

Cheers

How were they mate ?

Status
Not open for further replies.