• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver recruitment timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

LM77

Evening all, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post!

I'm currently the in the RAF and considering a career change to train driver. I appreciate that these are highly sought after jobs and only come up every now and again so for me timing is quite important. I would be grateful for any advice on how long the recruitment process normally takes from advertisement onwards? Is there a specific time of year when companies tend to advertise?

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere....

LM77

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brian88

They are always recruiting, problem is that for each vacancy 1000s apply. It's extremely sought after, so any application you do is pot luck. If you do get invited for testing you can probably expect to be put in a talent pool for a few months. As an example virgin recruited 1 oct 16, today there are still 43 waiting on a course

Last edited:

LM77

Thanks for the info Brian. I have 3 yrs to run until my time in the RAF is up but it seems that the driver application process can be quite lengthy... I won’t be making any applications soon but I will definitely keep an eye on things.

RedAurora

I was in the RAF for three and a half years myself. Just getting in took about a year but unlike with the trains they actually need more people and just being fit puts you at a huge advantage.
I know a girl who left the RAF to work for Scotrail. My advise is to not start applying to jobs until you at least know your exit date after you've completes your return of service. You must serve for three years and it starts from after you have completed basic and trade training. So three years from your first full day of service on a squadron.

Most people won't even think about pushing the button to PVR without already having their return of service complete and another job lined up. Then you can leave pretty quickly (4 weeks notice like any civvy job) as long as you aren't due to serve abroad.

sw1ller

Established Member
They are always recruiting, problem is that for each vacancy 1000s apply. It's extremely sought after, so any application you do is pot luck. If you do get invited for testing you can probably expect to be put in a talent pool for a few months. As an example virgin recruited 1 oct 16, today there are still 43 waiting on a course

It’s not pot luck at all. I got through twice with the exact same application and was suscessful on the 2nd attempt. There’s obviously something they’re looking for in the application.

baz962

Established Member
It’s not pot luck at all. I got through twice with the exact same application and was suscessful on the 2nd attempt. There’s obviously something they’re looking for in the application.

I disagree mate I got past first sift with gwr last year and my application plus sjt was good enough but failed phone interview, then this year went better with Gtr and passed the psychometrics including mmi but failed dmi.During these I did sjt with mtr and they didnt progress me and with greater anglia just before I did sjt and wasnt progressed. Since then using same c.v and /or covering letter/personal statement but now stronger, I have done fire training at luton airport fire station and now put that I have psychometrics to my name, and have been bombed from first sift three times. Gotta be some luck in it.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Have to say that there is pot luck element. Arriva and VTEC both told me to go away on just my application but GTR/Tfl LU/Chiltern all thought the initial application was fine and I went on to get offers. I used the same CV and answers in application forms.

Whilst different companies look for slight different personalities, I cannot imagine them being able to pick that out from just your CV and application forms.

baz962

Established Member
Have to say that there is pot luck element. Arriva and VTEC both told me to go away on just my application but GTR/Tfl LU/Chiltern all thought the initial application was fine and I went on to get offers. I used the same CV and answers in application forms.

Whilst different companies look for slight different personalities, I cannot imagine them being able to pick that out from just your CV and application forms.

You got offers from all 3 nice , who you go with in the end mate

Dogbox

Thanks for the info Brian. I have 3 yrs to run until my time in the RAF is up but it seems that the driver application process can be quite lengthy... I won’t be making any applications soon but I will definitely keep an eye on things.

LM77 Half the drivers at my depot are ex forces, so I would say TOCs look very favourably at applications from people such as yourself.

Brian88

Guess you must be pension trapped then. It still might be worth you applying just so you can refine your cv if they don't progress you

LM77

Guess you must be pension trapped then. It still might be worth you applying just so you can refine your cv if they don't progress you
Yep that pretty much sums it up! Thanks for the info everyone, some interesting stuff there.

Bikerchik33

Hey LM77!

I had 5 months left of my RAF career when I applied. I wish I'd done it sooner! The process for me (at the time) took 11 months from start to finish. That did include 6 months in a talent pool though. Having done 12 years I had no return of service as I left downgraded. Genuine reason, I'd had spinal surgery prior to leaving and the docs wouldn't allow me to take my fitness test, yet I could fully carry out my primary duty!
I know with EMT the process these days seems to be a quicker process from the amount of people coming through over the last year of two. I hope this gives you a rough idea. If you have any more questions further down the line, please ask! And best of luck!

TheVicLine

From applying it was 5 months until my start date. The training process takes about a year from start to finish.
If you are thinking of applying then do your research on the application process and the tests and interviews you will have to sit. 1000's of people apply when the jobs are advertised so you really do need to know what they are looking for and how to prepare.

Status
Not open for further replies.