• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver roles with Northern - Blackburn and Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan4291

I'd be weary mind, it stated on the job advert to attach a cv and cover letter. If you're able to go back and amend your application get a cover letter in with it.

The DB site only gives me the option to retract the application, so may have to do that and do it all again.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CreamNCookies

Not ideal, but if its the fact a cover letter hasnt been attached that lets you down it'll be worth it.

My opinion anyway. Good luck!

CreamNCookies

It is a trainee role(as you've read), some TOCs appear to advertise Trainee Driver roles, but Northern just advertises it as Train Driver.

Anyway, good luck with the application, and make sure you upload a cover letter too.

Caad12

It is a trainee role(as you've read), some TOCs appear to advertise Trainee Driver roles, but Northern just advertises it as Train Driver.

Anyway, good luck with the application, and make sure you upload a cover letter too.

Yep all done. Good luck to all who have applied

Cyclist

surprised to see that the Newcastle Driver job is still on the website. They usually get removed pretty quickly, as the Blackburn one did.

dan4291

Sorted a CV and covering letter for my application to Newcastle earlier in the week and submitted it, and got confirmation that they had all my details, but just got a rejection email today, never mind!

Caad12

Sorted a CV and covering letter for my application to Newcastle earlier in the week and submitted it, and got confirmation that they had all my details, but just got a rejection email today, never mind!

Ahh I've just replied elsewhere to a member on here asking if anyone has heard anything from Northern. I didn't think we would this close to christmas but hey I've been known to be wrong in the past.

dan4291

Ahh I've just replied elsewhere to a member on here asking if anyone has heard anything from Northern. I didn't think we would this close to christmas but hey I've been known to be wrong in the past.

I thought it'd be after Christmas I'd here. Think I just live a little bit too far away (I'm just over 45 mins away from Newcastle), at least I hope that's why as my application can't have been that bad!

Caad12

I thought it'd be after Christmas I'd here. Think I just live a little bit too far away (I'm just over 45 mins away from Newcastle), at least I hope that's why as my application can't have been that bad!

45 minutes is easily do-able in less time on the early starts, and even on the 'normal' starts I'd imagine you'd set off taking traffic into account.

Sorry to hear you didn't get through though. I know it's bloody hard when it's a job you really want and I'm in the last chance saloon myself.

dan4291

45 minutes is easily do-able in less time on the early starts, and even on the 'normal' starts I'd imagine you'd set off taking traffic into account.

Sorry to hear you didn't get through though. I know it's bloody hard when it's a job you really want and I'm in the last chance saloon myself.

Thanks, yeah I looked on Google Maps and it says I can do it in 43 minutes but that would be a late night/early morning, any other time it would be longer. It's a pain as Northern have a driver depot in Darlington which is only 15-20 mins away from me which would be ideal, though it's probably a small depot so they'll rarely advertise externally I would've thought.

Caad12

Thanks, yeah I looked on Google Maps and it says I can do it in 43 minutes but that would be a late night/early morning, any other time it would be longer. It's a pain as Northern have a driver depot in Darlington which is only 15-20 mins away from me which would be ideal, though it's probably a small depot so they'll rarely advertise externally I would've thought.

Well don't give up. Get yourself in for Conductor, etc, when positions come up and work through the system till you get that job. That's what I'm going to do. Ain't giving up as I want to do this for myself and my family.

dan4291

Well don't give up. Get yourself in for Conductor, etc, when positions come up and work through the system till you get that job. That's what I'm going to do. Ain't giving up as I want to do this for myself and my family.

Would love to go straight into a driver role if I can. Applied for TPE again for Newcastle (they require living within an hour from depot!) but not heard anything from them as of yet, but will keep trying, all we can do really!

Caad12

Would love to go straight into a driver role if I can. Applied for TPE again for Newcastle (they require living within an hour from depot!) but not heard anything from them as of yet, but will keep trying, all we can do really!

True - getting the driver role straight off would be great. Fingers crossed you get better news soon.

CloudDriver

Surely the Metro Drivers will all be applying for the Newcastle role given they are on strike again about pay and conditions....
I cant see Northern giving many roles of Trainee if they can already get qualified Drivers from Metro?

CreamNCookies

Surely the Metro Drivers will all be applying for the Newcastle role given they are on strike again about pay and conditions....
I cant see Northern giving many roles of Trainee if they can already get qualified Drivers from Metro?

Are metro drivers trained to the exact same standard? Also, i'd like to think they would like to take on fresh bodies that they can mould to how they see fit.

train-safe

Just a heads up re the newcastle jobs there is an absolute load of internal applicants in for the job and iv heard there is only 1 position available, good luck to everyone

Taylor-j01

What would be the next stage with northern ?

The tests?

If passes an interview ?

Or are they on the same day

CloudDriver

What would be the next stage with northern ?

The tests?

If passes an interview ?

Or are they on the same day
Manager Interview then Assessment Center I believe.
I would have a guess they will keep people in a Talent Pool if they pass these and there is only one position.

Brennars

Just had an email from Northern apologising for the delay due to large number of applicants and please wait another two weeks to process applications.

na281093

I applied for another role with Northern for Manchester and I’ve had that email 3 times now, apologising for the delay and to wait another 2 weeks. So don’t hold out on getting an answer in 2 weeks it can take longer, just a waiting game now.

Taylor-j01

Had the same .
It’s just a automated email especially on Boxing Day and Christmas it’s only been 2 weeks ?
they said 2-4 weeks on applying.
I thought northern did a test then interview ?

CloudDriver

I wonder what the situation will be if the franchise gets taken back into public hands. Hopefully it wont make a difference on Driver training.

Comfy

Had the same .
It’s just a automated email especially on Boxing Day and Christmas it’s only been 2 weeks ?
they said 2-4 weeks on applying.
I thought northern did a test then interview ?
Interview then tests

Status
Not open for further replies.