Trainee Driver roles with Northern - Blackburn and Newcastle

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by Jake1889, 9 Dec 2019.

1. Intermodal

Intermodal Member

Newcastle depot will still need drivers whether it is in another franchise or not.

2. Louby

Louby Member

new logo, new uniform, nothing changes, they still need staff regardless of who runs it

3. Cyclist

Cyclist Member

Had the same email as others have got saying please allow up to 2 weeks. It's good that they are communicating although from my past experience with Northern take the two week promise with a pinch of salt!

4. Caad12

Caad12 Member

I wonder if the franchise gets taken over then there will be a reset on the testing if you've failed one assessment day?

5. Fred Dinenage

Fred Dinenage Member

No. Doesn’t matter who holds the franchise, if you’ve failed it’s recorded and stored on a database / tagged with your national insurance number ( I believe ). You’d only get a reset if they changed the tests. Even then, I failed the old-style tests and took the stance if I failed the new ones, my luck and 2 chances were up.

6. Taylor-j01

Taylor-j01 Member

What’s the 2 times rule again?
    Is this for applying in a year
    Or if you fail the test twice you can never be a driver with that toc ?

7. na281093

na281093 Member

If you fail the Psychometrics test twice, that’s you done with being a train driver for any TOC. You only ever get 2 attempts at it. Your previous attempts and scores are all stored on a database which I believe is linked with your national insurance number so there’s no way around it. This is only the Psychometrics test, afterwards the interviews/assessments/training etc there are no limits on those.

8. Taylor-j01

Taylor-j01 Member

Cheers

9. CloudDriver

CloudDriver Member

Has anyone ever seen this database or been given access to it? Strange if you pass the assessment its all by word of mouth.

10. Intermodal

Intermodal Member

Why would anyone be given access to a confidential database intended for use by TOC recruitment? Are you suggesting the recording of psychometrics doesn't really happen and is a conspiracy? :s

11. LimaLlama

LimaLlama Member

Unless the assessment process is changed in any significant way in regards to the psychometric testing, then your lives are reset.

12. CloudDriver

CloudDriver Member

No, im just surprised there is no confirmation. Would expect at least a reference number or similar.
    I believe in the past when paying for a private assessment a certificate was issued.

13. Intermodal

Intermodal Member

Bought a new car recently? You don't get a service log anymore either. It's all computerised. Same deal here.

14. Fred Dinenage

Fred Dinenage Member

Word of mouth? Really?

Email confirmation of pass or fail. 2 chances in your lifetime, cross-referencing name with national insurance number. No pretty card / stone tablet / badge to wear. As stated above, every UK TOC and FOC have access to the database your details are held on. They’re the only ones who will employ you as a train driver, nothing to do with anyone else.

15. Cyclist

Cyclist Member

As stated on other threads if you wish to personally access your test data just contact the OPC and send a GDPR request for all data which they are legally required to reply to.

16. micker001

micker001 Member

Anyone heard anything yet. I've had an email saying it is taking longer than expected. I think the interview first is a terrible idea. If you get through the interview and fail the tests its a waste of time.

17. ST

ST Member

Each to their own I suppose, from corporate perspective it might make more sense seeing the whites of someone's eyes and asking pertinent questions before investing hundreds of pounds on assessment centre! Good luck.

18. Llama

Llama Established Member

If you passed the tests but then failed the interview that would be a more expensive waste of time.

19. micker001

micker001 Member

Yes I can see where you are coming from. I just think they will have to do more interviews which will be a lot of management time. Then they find who they want and they fail the psychometric testing. I can see it from both sides. They could be looking for someone who has already passed the tests.

20. DanYounger1989

DanYounger1989 Member

I’ve applied for Newcastle and had a phone call today inviting me to interview next Tuesday 28th January. Was at work when they rang so need to ring back tomorrow to confirm and get more details.

21. Papa

Papa Member

Hey I got a missed call today and my application status has changed to assessment. Was your call from a mobile number?

22. Comfy

Comfy Member

Deleted

Last edited: 21 Jan 2020
  23. KJ83

KJ83 Member

The ad states first 16 weeks are usually in Leeds or Manchester. Does anyone know if accommodation is provided or if your expected to pay for this?

24. MRIGuy

MRIGuy Member

All depends on the location from your home depot. *Travel costs as well as accommodation are usually covered by the employer.

#Edit

*Rail travel

25. DanYounger1989

DanYounger1989 Member

Yes it was from a mobile number, mine has also changed to assessment online.

26. micker001

micker001 Member

I missed a phone call yesterday as well from a mobile number. I couldn't ring it back though. I hope I haven't missed out.

27. Taylor-j01

Taylor-j01 Member

Would all interviews usually be all in one day next Tuesday? Or is there many waves usually with NR. Staggered over weeks?

28. ILoveLamp

ILoveLamp Member

Have you logged in to check to see if your status has changed as the others have stated? This would let you know about the missed call at least, lessen the worry!

29. CloudDriver

CloudDriver Member

Have any of you already passed the psychometric tests?

30. Papa

Papa Member

I've passed mine already, I put that on the application.