• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver start date

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB0161

My contract offer has just landed for me to start at Manchester as a Trainee Driver for the course commencing on February 17th.

I just wanted to say a couple of things, firstly I've never posted on here before but I initially applied in July 2018. I got through to the assessment day in Doncaster and passed all the days tests bar the vigilance test. I was absolutely devastated, it seemed like the easiest of the tests but the truth was I was so pumped up for the day that I was probably a little bit too hyped up and didn't perform well enough.

I reapplied in January 2019 and went through the process again, application/interview/assessment day with the added pressure of this time knowing it was my last chance. Fortunately I passed and then completed medical and find myself with a start date.

For anyone going through the process for any role I know six months seems like a long time when your driving away from the assessment centre completely deflated but I promise it goes quickly. Stay positive and show a bit of resilience and you can go from devastated to ecstatic within a year.

I'm a little nervous as I'm leaving a 16 year career but ultimately very excited and feel very privileged to be in this position.

This site has offered some great advice, and reassured me when things went quiet for long periods so thank you to all who take their time to respond and encourage. If I can assist anyone in terms of the
recruitment process then I'd be more than happy to share my limited experience so far.

Tomorrow I hand in my notice at work and a whole new life starts.

Can't wait

Keep up the really good work on here guys. It genuinely stopped me from losing my mind when I checked my emails ten times a day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PickleTree

A great post and for those of us who are in the process and don’t know whether I will be lucky enough to get an offer at the end of it provides some reassurance.

Good luck with the new career and enjoy!

DB0161

A great post and for those of us who are in the process and don’t know whether I will be lucky enough to get an offer at the end of it provides some reassurance.

Good luck with the new career and enjoy!

Thank you, the unknown is really hard when you want something so much but stay positive!

Robnw67

Good luck and great news! It's encouraging to know that perseverance pays off. I have been applying for a trainee train driver job for a number of months and do get discouraged when I see jobs that are either out of my area require previous train driving experience (I guess Train Sim World on PS4 doesn't count!). I'm also 53 this year and very conscious that my age might be my biggest barrier. However, I shall carry on and one day will hopefully be driving in the Real.

DB0161

Good luck and great news! It's encouraging to know that perseverance pays off. I have been applying for a trainee train driver job for a number of months and do get discouraged when I see jobs that are either out of my area require previous train driving experience (I guess Train Sim World on PS4 doesn't count!). I'm also 53 this year and very conscious that my age might be my biggest barrier. However, I shall carry on and one day will hopefully be driving in the Real.
Hi Rob, thanks very much.

I've been at the assessment centre twice and on each occasion there were candidates over the age of 50 so keep applying. I wish you all the very best of luck

Aivilo

Congratulations and thanks for a positive reassuring post that hopeful eases alot of people on the same position.

If you need anything going forward don't hesitate to drop me a message

DB0161

Congratulations and thanks for a positive reassuring post that hopeful eases alot of people on the same position.

If you need anything going forward don't hesitate to drop me a message
Thank you, very much appreciated

Liam00086

There was someone who is 53 that started a course last February, so don’t let age put you off.

tpc

Im also due to start on the 17th at Manchester although my contract has still not arrived so thanks for posting this it hopefully will be here today.

Last edited:

DB0161

Im also due to start on the 17th at Manchester although my contract has still not arrived so thanks for posting this it hopefully will be here today.
I must have applied half a dozen times over the last 5 years including one failed assessment day a year ago before finally getting this far, so perserverance does pay off. Took me 4 or 5 attempts to get to the interview stage so dont be put off if you keep applying and falling short apply again, you will get there eventually.
Great news, congratulations. Looking forward to meeting you on the 17th

Dave19801980

The age range on our training course was from 22 all the way up to 51.....i’m 39 which seems to be about average....especially for those like me who left a previous career of 15 years to a different path on the railway.

Best thing I ever did for a number of reasons and i’ve never felt happier or healthier at work and in general.

Good luck to you all

Nevergiveup

I literally failed on Vigilance now, will have to try again in 6 months and I know where I made the mistake. did you have to re-sit all computer based tests or just the Vigilance itself?
My contract offer has just landed for me to start at Manchester as a Trainee Driver for the course commencing on February 17th.

I just wanted to say a couple of things, firstly I've never posted on here before but I initially applied in July 2018. I got through to the assessment day in Doncaster and passed all the days tests bar the vigilance test. I was absolutely devastated, it seemed like the easiest of the tests but the truth was I was so pumped up for the day that I was probably a little bit too hyped up and didn't perform well enough.

I reapplied in January 2019 and went through the process again, application/interview/assessment day with the added pressure of this time knowing it was my last chance. Fortunately I passed and then completed medical and find myself with a start date.

For anyone going through the process for any role I know six months seems like a long time when your driving away from the assessment centre completely deflated but I promise it goes quickly. Stay positive and show a bit of resilience and you can go from devastated to ecstatic within a year.

I'm a little nervous as I'm leaving a 16 year career but ultimately very excited and feel very privileged to be in this position.

This site has offered some great advice, and reassured me when things went quiet for long periods so thank you to all who take their time to respond and encourage. If I can assist anyone in terms of the
recruitment process then I'd be more than happy to share my limited experience so far.

Tomorrow I hand in my notice at work and a whole new life starts.

Can't wait

Keep up the really good work on here guys. It genuinely stopped me from losing my mind when I checked my emails ten times a day.

DB0161

I literally failed on Vigilance now, will have to try again in 6 months and I know where I made the mistake. did you have to re-sit all computer based tests or just the Vigilance itself?
All the computer based ones but none of the paper exercises

Twotwo

Fair enough, thank you.
I think I just underestimated vigilance test as it seemed Easiest out of the three computer based tests!

The trick is to start after everyone else so when they start pressing the button then you know to expect it soon. It all follows the same pattern. It's not random.

Disclaimer - I didn't do this but just something I came across here when others have been advising people.

Nevergiveup

Yes I figured that out and I did unintentionally started literally a second after 2 other people lol but it was when the light grey square turned darker after a while ( I knew it would happen) but I still started tapping green 4-5 times within 30 sec or less and that must have been the reason i lost some scores, I was hoping I somehow edge it but unfortunately didn’t.
The trick is to start after everyone else so when they start pressing the button then you know to expect it soon. It all follows the same pattern. It's not random.

Disclaimer - I didn't do this but just something I came across here when others have been advising people.

Stigy

Established Member
I second that haha. You do have to be careful not to pre-empt it though....

Disclaimer...:E

Nevergiveup

Haha I agree, when I realised mine is 1 second after the other two, couple times I hit it at same time as them ‍♂️
I second that haha. You do have to be careful not to pre-empt it though....

Disclaimer...:E

Status
Not open for further replies.