• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver - Starting a YouTube Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

O L Leigh

Established Member
There was a blog back in the early 2000s from a chap called “ONETrainee” he worked for National Express ONE TOC as a trainee driver, time has moved on since then however. I personally think any blog or youtube channel could fall foul of the companies social media policy, or find you don’t give 100% of concentration on the course. It’s hard enough as is without the extra hassle of blogging or doing videos.

That was me under my former forum name of oneTN.

I was very careful what I said about the training and the company and never really said anything to identify myself or others, but they knew it was me even while I was still writing it. When I got out to my depot I found out that the area ops manager wanted me sacked, so it was a good thing that I'd been extremely careful in what I'd said and how I'd said it because I gave them nothing that they could use to actually carry through. That said, I did have an e-mail exchange with the head of drivers at that time who made it very clear that I was on thin ice and that what I said was being scrutinised. Even though I was told that the conversation was just between the two of us and that no action was being taken, one of the driver managers at my depot then started the nasty habit of referring to me as "webmaster", so I knew that it was time to stop.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone replicate what I did unless you are very very careful indeed. It may be seen as a positive thing in some circles (particularly here), but the reality is that someone somewhere in your company may not see it the same way. As has been said above, the best bet for a long and fruitful career is by not coming to the attention of the gaffers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
That was me under my former forum name of oneTN.

I was very careful what I said about the training and the company and never really said anything to identify myself or others, but they knew it was me even while I was still writing it. When I got out to my depot I found out that the area ops manager wanted me sacked, so it was a good thing that I'd been extremely careful in what I'd said and how I'd said it because I gave them nothing that they could use to actually carry through. That said, I did have an e-mail exchange with the head of drivers at that time who made it very clear that I was on thin ice and that what I said was being scrutinised. Even though I was told that the conversation was just between the two of us and that no action was being taken, one of the driver managers at my depot then started the nasty habit of referring to me as "webmaster", so I knew that it was time to stop.

I wouldn't recommend that anyone replicate what I did unless you are very very careful indeed. It may be seen as a positive thing in some circles (particularly here), but the reality is that someone somewhere in your company may not see it the same way. As has been said above, the best bet for a long and fruitful career is by not coming to the attention of the gaffers.

I was a follower back in the day of your blog, what on Earth did they take issue with ?
To want to sack you is just plain nasty, but knowing how some think and the things they do I can believe it saldy.

Seehof

Sorry to say but I do not think this a good year. Yes, it would be interesting and useful. BUT: You only have to make one wrong comment about an incident or person and you would be in serious trouble. Or just by commenting what you have done or been told and this is compared to others, this also can cause problems. You may also find some of your colleagues very wary of you. The railway is a great place to work but some of your colleagues may not be the most sympathetic or understanding.
You can make it as anonymous as you like but you will be unmasked.

Sorry should say “idea” not “year”.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I was a follower back in the day of your blog, what on Earth did they take issue with ?
To want to sack you is just plain nasty, but knowing how some think and the things they do I can believe it saldy.

I think they were concerned that I was going to be critical of the company or say something negative. The point being that I was making public statements relating to work, which is something that is covered in my contract of employment. But then, the AOM at that time was a particularly nasty person of uncertain parentage (swear filter nicely dodged) who thankfully left around the time that I qualified.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I think they were concerned that I was going to be critical of the company or say something negative. The point being that I was making public statements relating to work, which is something that is covered in my contract of employment. But then, the AOM at that time was a particularly nasty person of uncertain parentage (swear filter nicely dodged) who thankfully left around the time that I qualified.
Ah right, I know the sort - good to see your still about though :)

EssexGonzo

I’m not in the railway world and cannot begin to guess the culture within your employer’s world.

However, I wonder if you could approach your employer’s social media team with your manager’s approval and float the idea with them? Would they be up for an arrangement where they would approve/control the content thereby reducing the possibility of you breaching any rules?

The reason I say this is that I can think of two TOC employees that have Twitter (and maybe YT accounts?) and post in their own name but clearly with the employer’s approval. The benefit for the company is clear in respect of engagement with social media users and it provides another perspective into life on the railways for someone like me who’s not an employee or an enthusiast but is fascinated by the behind the scenes stuff.

Clearly, it would mean that some content might be watered down, but then you wouldn’t get into trouble either. You’d also need a supportive boss.

There would also, probably, be some sort of issue with YT around ownership of the content and any commercial benefits that might arise from it. But nothing that couldn’t be worked out if you’ve got an employer with a progressive approach to social media.

SpamHammer

I’m not in the railway world and cannot begin to guess the culture within your employer’s world.

However, I wonder if you could approach your employer’s social media team with your manager’s approval and float the idea with them? Would they be up for an arrangement where they would approve/control the content thereby reducing the possibility of you breaching any rules?

The reason I say this is that I can think of two TOC employees that have Twitter (and maybe YT accounts?) and post in their own name but clearly with the employer’s approval. The benefit for the company is clear in respect of engagement with social media users and it provides another perspective into life on the railways for someone like me who’s not an employee or an enthusiast but is fascinated by the behind the scenes stuff.

Clearly, it would mean that some content might be watered down, but then you wouldn’t get into trouble either. You’d also need a supportive boss.

There would also, probably, be some sort of issue with YT around ownership of the content and any commercial benefits that might arise from it. But nothing that couldn’t be worked out if you’ve got an employer with a progressive approach to social media.
I'm not a driver but I do work elsewhere on railway in a safety critical position.

This maaaaaaybe something you could do if you've got 5 solid and incident free years under your belt. As a new starter in training? Not a hope in hell.

There's very little in the way of tangible benefit for a TOC here and a very, very big risk in a trainee completely blowing their course as they're not applying themselves in the correct area.

Status
Not open for further replies.