• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee driver vacancies at Freightliner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nutter

Applied for a pack.

I was just about to say how rare it is for Freightliner to recruit brand new drivers then I saw the page, saying it's the first time :lol:

Thanks for the heads up

Gizmogle

Established Member
I don't imagine there is an upper age limit due to all the age discrimination hassle a while back.

westcoaster

Established Member
So why is their a lower limit of 21. That is discrimination too!

thats just the rules im afraid, if you were to apply this rule why are there no car drivers under 17, or any airline pilots who are teenagers, in regards for the job if you think you have got what it takes go for it, the only bad bit is the lodging turns

CosherB

Established Member
What's the problem with the lodging turns? I thought they used decent hotels these days, and I guess it would just be for one night.

CS

driver9000

Established Member
minimum age has been 21 for driving since BR days. As far as I know they will take older people on so long as they will get a return on their investment on you (its approx £80,000 to train a driver). When I was a trainee there was a guy who was 56yrs and is now happily driving trains around the place.

Dont let it put you off, request a pack from Freightliner and consider if its what you want to do. I love driving trains and it was the best career move I ever made

P156KWJ

Established Member
For freight I think £35000 isn't excellent, though it's very good, but the training salary is very good at £17000

David

Established Member
£35000 is one of the best salaries going for a train driver. You then have bonuses and overtime on top of that.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Admittedly I've never done freight, but there are aspects of the freight driver's job that do not appeal to me.

While it's nice to have a big route card and real locos to play with, I do like knowing what time I'm going to be getting home and that I'm going to be kipping in my own bed. Likewise, I don't much go for the idea of being stuck with my train for hours on end if things go up the wall. No matter where I am on my route card I know I'm no more than 25 miles from relief.

Then again, that's just me.

O L Leigh

Coxster

Established Member
...or of course if you like dark tunnels you could go for the Underground! ;) https://careers.tfl.gov.uk/fe/tpl_tfl01ssl.asp?newms=jj&id=33320 They say £21,653 p.a. for the first 12 weeks core training, then upon completion of that it goes up to £38,311 p.a. from Week 13. Judging from the list of depots, the current vacancies are at Acton Town (Picc or Dist), Earls Court (District), Queens Park/Elephant (Bakerloo), Hammersmith/Edgware Rd (joint Circle & H&C), East Finch/Golders/Morden (Northern), Arnos Grove (Piccadilly), Seven Sisters (Victoria) and Wembley Park (Jubilee).

Good luck to anyone who may choose to go for either of these two jobs!

Edit: Good choice, Mr. A! New identity - new livery - new uniform (yet?) - new username :p

Nym

Established Member
Because you can't have a hormonal teenager still having mood swings in sole charge of a 2000 tonne train. Need to allow personality to properly develop as well as aptitude etc.

Hmmmmm, nice sweeping statment there ;) What makes you think that everyone under 21 isn't capable of responsability and accountability, you could be a primrose or nurse at 16 and qualified to sign for any controled drug by 19, (used to be able to until they said Nurse 2000 was too expensive, even though it made the best nurses we've seen since sister of mercy, and MoD seasoned nursing staff) anyway I'm ranting, would you take that accountabilty away from 19yo RGNs and 17/18yo Level3 HCAs? You can be a persicriber before 21... You have to be a bit responsable in that job too, maybe the NHS just has lower standards, or perhaps it's somthing to do with physical strength.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I've done freight in the mid 80's I guess it's changed a lot now.

That sounds a bit derogitary, "Huh, done some freight" sounds a bit like you're talking in the same was as somone on the topic of substance abuse from where I'm reading, hehe...

DavyCrocket

Because you can't have a hormonal teenager still having mood swings in sole charge of a 2000 tonne train. Need to allow personality to properly develop as well as aptitude etc.

Sorry Alex, but that is nonsense. That is pure discrimation against someone due to their age and not refecting their competence. You could refuse to give a job to many different people due to hormonal problems!

As to the age for driving a car at 17, the minimum age needed to carry out Safety Critical railway functions is 18, including driving a train..

I should add that I first qualified in a safety critical role at 18 in the busiest signal box on the Underground and have had to deal with people from all walks of life and the stresses, strains (and enjoyment?!) it brings!

At 21 I now work in a very high pressure signalling role with clapped out equipment that is very demanding and tough at times, both due to the shifts and actual work!

Coxster

Established Member
I think really you could say a similar thing about any age restriction for anything though. It's not as though someone will just wake up on their xxth birthday and suddenly become ten times more responsible than they may have been upto and including the previous day.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I'm afraid that, no matter how you feel about it, rules is rules. You can carry out safety critical jobs from 18 but you have to be 21 to drive a train. I've no idea why this should be, but that's the situation we have. I'm quite sure that folk below this age would make perfectly capable drivers, but that little bit of life experience helps enormously with things like decision making, dealing with emergencies and keeping a level head when things are rapidly climbing the walls. If you've just come out of school and have no real experience to draw on, it's not likely that you'd even pass the structured interview.

As for pay levels, one thing you quickly learn on this job is that the headline rate of pay is all well and good, but conditions are king. It's not much good getting a tasty looking salary if you've no time, energy or inclination to spend it because you're effectively "owned" by the company. Besides, quite a few of these companies paying their drivers top dollar actually include a certain number of contracted hours of overtime per annum (usually 200 hours) in their basic pay. In practice this acts as a cap on a driver's ability to earn because of the way that these overtime hours are calculated and the work allocated.

The company I'm on has one of the lowest rates of pay for drivers. To balance that we have an enviable set of conditions that mean that the job is tolerable and doesn't make too many demands on us. If we want to earn a bit extra there is plenty of option to do so, as all overtime is payable. In fact, just working the rostered Sundays can be an easy way of minting a bit of extra coin of the realm. Naturally we could push for a much higher basic, but I firmly believe that we'd be shooting ourselves in the foot by doing so because we'd have to give up way too much to get this. My colleagues over at FCC GN had the same conditions as us until very recently. Now they're on about £38k pa basic, but I'm not convinced that they think it's been worthwhile. Unfortunately, there will always be a decent number who get their heads turned provided the company dangles a sufficiently big carrot.

O L Leigh

The reason there is a lower age limit is because of the responsibility and thinking involved. For someone to make a comment liek that, I can only guess you're one of the people that think it's sitting in a chair half asleep pressing buttons very now and again. Safety critical on the raiwlay maybe 18 but if you're driving a train, you're on you're own. If you're driving 2000 tonnes of fright in the snow at 60mph and signal goes to red in front of you what would you do? The person needs to be able to make that decision in a split second and act on it.
Bit of a b*tch really, I wanna drive a car it's unfair you have to be 17, that's disctrimination...
Just one thought, if a 16 year old was driving your train, would yo0u be happy with it?... 8-)

Nym

Established Member
if he or she was trained and compitent, I'd have no problem, but I don't let anyone drive me anywhere in car, including a 16 year old (legaly driving a car)

AlexS

Established Member
I am 18 years old and I wouldn't want me to be in charge of trains, because I still have the occasional wobbly.

However, so do a fair proportion of adults.

I think 21 is a fair age.

if he or she was trained and compitent, I'd have no problem, but I don't let anyone drive me anywhere in car, including a 16 year old (legaly driving a car)

Can I just make one small point aswell. Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to be a train driver, it's in my blood and always has been. I have found myself almost counting down hte years to when I am 21. I am that desperate to become one. However, common sense says 21 is a fair age. You wouldn't say the 16 comment about a pilot, what's the difference? They are both skilled responsible jobs that require a clear head. It'd be good if people realised that instead of just not being able to see past an opinion that just isn't valid. :@

AlexS

Established Member
Yeah, but you have people on hand to keep an eye on things. You'd hope the people using the range would be sensible enough to be on their toes with live ordinance for a start.

There is however, no remote control to stop someone doing something stupid with a train, particularly a single manned freight train.

You can record them doing it, and then sack them for it if necessary, but crucially there is nothing at all that can stop someone doing it at the time. So professionalism counts, and I think it's worth waiting a couple more years just to be sure.

Nym

Established Member
I was on my own, with 14 untrained cadets on their first shoot actualy hun ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
and I was 16...

Status
Not open for further replies.