• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee Driver Vacancies Bristol - How often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srcn17

Good Afternoon all,

I've recently signed up to job alerts, and I'm keeping my eyes open for trainee driver vacancies for TOCs that operate out of Bristol Temple Meads.

Would anyone know if positions are advertised often or is it quite sporadic?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NX

GWR have a huge pool of students awaiting course for many depots, including Bristol.

Never say never, but don't bank on external roles being posted anytime soon.

Charles

Srcn17

GWR have a huge pool of students awaiting course for many depots, including Bristol.

Never say never, but don't bank on external roles being posted anytime soon.

Charles

Thanks for the reply Charles. That's a shame to hear, although, I'll stay ready to react when vacancies do eventually become available.

I believe I recently missed a GWR trainee driver advert as they removed it from the website early :(

Crawley Ben

Thanks for the reply Charles. That's a shame to hear, although, I'll stay ready to react when vacancies do eventually become available.

I believe I recently missed a GWR trainee driver advert as they removed it from the website early :(

Not in the industry myself, but should imagine it's fairly common for Train Operating Companies to remove vacancies early if they get swamped with applications etc.

Ben

Srcn17

Not in the industry myself, but should imagine it's fairly common for Train Operating Companies to remove vacancies early if they get swamped with applications etc.

Ben

Yes understandable. A very competitive job to get in to.

W230

Established Member
Also, GWR had a pretty much permanent advert looking for qualified drivers running over the last few years. I'm not sure if it is still up but there could well be qualified drivers waiting to move.

Best bet is look at the London TOCs if you want that job...

Srcn17

Also, GWR had a pretty much permanent advert looking for qualified drivers running over the last few years. I'm not sure if it is still up but there could well be qualified drivers waiting to move.

Best bet is look at the London TOCs if you want that job...

Maybe a silly question, but would a London TOC take someone on who's based in Bristol if Bristol forms part of their route?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Maybe a silly question, but would a London TOC take someone on who's based in Bristol if Bristol forms part of their route?

Not for that reason alone, no. Recruitment is nothing to do with where you would sign. It comes down to commutable distance. Most TOCS its within 45mins to an hour due to the fatigue index. Someone in Bristol is beyond that and as such would need to relocate.

W230

Established Member
Not for that reason alone, no. Recruitment is nothing to do with where you would sign. It comes down to commutable distance. Most TOCS its within 45mins to an hour due to the fatigue index. Someone in Bristol is beyond that and as such would need to relocate.
As tiptoptaff says, relocation would be required. It's dog eat dog out there for drivers jobs - why recruit someone who lives miles away when there is someone just as good on your door step and who is more likely to stick around and not leave once they're qualified.

Srcn17

Makes perfect sense. I did wonder if there was something you knew that I didn't.

For now I'll have to limit my chances as I'll be staying in Bristol. I'm keeping an eye on all the local TOCs job sites so fingers crossed I'm not waiting forever.

Thanks for your responses. It's appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.