• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee driver vacancies in the south east?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack1

Hi all, I just wondered if there are any trainee driver vacancies around, I have recently finished uni and want a real job which gives me fulfilment. I have wanted to be a train driver for a long time and just wondered if there were any vacancies and how I would go about it. And is it the same sort of process for the tube.

Thank you for your time. Jack

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Economist

There was one based at Gillingham highlighted on these very forums, I hope you applied for it. You will find many roles come up on here, alternatively, you should bookmark the recruitment pages of the Train Operating Companies and check them often. You will also find that you'll be expected to do a lot of research on here yourself.

For the Tube, you need to go in as a CSA or similar first and even that is very competitive.

As for being straight out of university, some have got in that way but the average age of a trainee driver is mid-30's I believe. Your chances may well depend on what you've done outside of work, e.g. if you were in the University Air Squadron or similar that might be seen as favourable.

W230

Established Member
I have wanted to be a train driver for a long time and just wondered if there were any vacancies and how I would go about it. And is it the same sort of process for the tube.
SET, SWT, Southern, Thameslink, Great Northern, Greater Anglia, Great Western and C2c have all recently advertised for trainee drivers. A lot of them seem to pretty much have rolling recruitment! Check their websites regularly.

As for the tube, I understand you would need to enter Tfl in a different post and apply for Driver Operator for within as it positions become available.

Jack1

Thank you for your help. I would definitely be prepared to relocate of the job was to far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.