• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee driver vacancies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amex88

Hi guys. Hope your all well.
Anyone know of any trainee roles that are live at this time? Other than Avanti?

Not for me but for a friend who is interested. Been searching but cannot seem to find anything atm.

Please let me know guys.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cyclist

For each TOC they appear very rarely and disappear very quickly once posted. For example, before the current Avanti recruitment drive their last one was two years ago. So the advice for your friend and everybody else is simply frequently check careers sites for all TOCs you are interested in and also check these forums frequently too.

Amex88

Yeah I understand that. I myself am a driver and know how hard it is! It aint easy at all! I thought maybe DB were taking on trainees but could not find it! Oh well got to keep looking i guess

387star

On Moderation
Yeah I understand that. I myself am a driver and know how hard it is! It aint easy at all! I thought maybe DB were taking on trainees but could not find it! Oh well got to keep looking i guess
Given the current climate I'd expect unprecedented interest in trainee roles

Ludus

Not many around, very few trainee positions appear a year and the application window is usually less than a week, so even if you stop looking for a single week, you may miss out on one of the very few vacancies for the year.

I myself am going to go back to focusing on my pilot training as I fear spending years trying to get a trainee position is going to be a waste of time :'( I hope your friend finds a position!

Economist

It took me a smidge under two years from first application to starting as a trainee, most of the people on here who get through the aptitude tests seem to get there in the end.

I don't think there will be much recruitment until the current virus situation is over. Most DIs I know of aren't taking trainees, so the TOCs will have lengthy backlogs of people to get through training as it is.

Most of the trainee positions appear on here, this forum is certainly what kept me posted and during my search I checked it a couple of times per day.

Stigy

Established Member
Not many around, very few trainee positions appear a year and the application window is usually less than a week, so even if you stop looking for a single week, you may miss out on one of the very few vacancies for the year.

I myself am going to go back to focusing on my pilot training as I fear spending years trying to get a trainee position is going to be a waste of time :'( I hope your friend finds a position!
Nothing to stop you keeping your options open? Even focusing on pilot training you can still apply for vacancies as and when.

It took me a about 18 months and three DMIs to get my offer. The experience of the process helps so even if you get an interview but aren't offered a job see it as a big achievement (because of how many people applied if nothing else!). Also, I think having passed the psychometric assessments with one TOC or FOC helps with getting to the interview stage with others.

Last edited:

TheGoldfish

Hi guys. Hope your all well.
Anyone know of any trainee roles that are live at this time? Other than Avanti?

Not for me but for a friend who is interested. Been searching but cannot seem to find anything atm.

Please let me know guys.

Thanks.

I would suggest registering with all the operator career sites and setting up alerts for upcoming vacancies ... do the same with some employment agengies who handle driver recruitments .. ie Indeed and Total Jobs??

Twotwo

Just keep checking this forum every couple of days if you can as someone will post vacancies on here. That's how I know about most of them.

richfoz84

I used to check these forums daily but also refresh careers pages on my safari browser.. as said though it’s an achievement to get thru to interviews and they are valuable for the experience.. however as everyone knows it’s a long drawn out process so patience is key! Good luck to your friend!

MDCW

I feel with all the aviation pilots out of work and looking for imployment, the TOCs will take them straight in as GWR did with Ex-Thomas Cook staff. Unless i'm being pesimistic, getting in as a trainee is about to become a whole lot more competitive.

Firestarter

I feel with all the aviation pilots out of work and looking for imployment, the TOCs will take them straight in as GWR did with Ex-Thomas Cook staff. Unless i'm being pesimistic, getting in as a trainee is about to become a whole lot more competitive.
Still have to pass the Relevant tests, there not gonna be just handed Train driver jobs.

PudseyBearHST

I’m not a driver so I don’t know, but you’d think their experience and aptitude would be of a required level.
Skills are definitely transferable so they definitely have an advantage in the interview. However, as per requirements, they need to pass the psychometric testing in order to obtain a train driver’s license.

Status
Not open for further replies.