• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trainee driver's in Hull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brody

When it says you must live 45 minutes travel away, is that from the train station or a depot? I'm borderline 45 minutes from the train station. How strict are they in that regard?
I would just put in for it mate, what do you have to lose

dsk

I'm originally from Hull but recently moved to Manchester. I applied for the driver roles recently advertised here with the same TOC.

I could move back in with my parents in Hull without issue if I were offered a trainee role there.

Just wondered if anyone reckons it would harm my existing Manchester applications if I made a new one with a different address?

Cheers

I'm originally from Hull but recently moved to Manchester. I applied for the driver roles recently advertised here with the same TOC.

I could move back in with my parents in Hull without issue if I were offered a trainee role there.

Just wondered if anyone reckons it would harm my existing Manchester applications if I made a new one with a different address?

Cheers

This would be First Group then - I think you need to put where you are currently living but that shouldn't preclude you from the Hull job. I live in Sussex and I've been invited for an assessment centre for a TPE job on Friday (although that is another story)

Edit - I also have a application in for SWR and waiting for a DMI

EGL1

I've just applied for this on the deutschebahngroup.careers application portal Arriva provides, it seems a bit of a clunky system. It allows you the option to upload your cover letter and CV which I duly did. Are these automatically included when you submit your application as when you review your application before submitting you can't see them attached, therefore I have no-idea if they got sent? Can anyone confirm?

Good luck all! :)

Last edited:
I've just applied for this on the deutschebahngroup.careers application portal it Arriva provides, it seems a bit of a clunky system. It allows you the option to upload your cover letter and CV which I duly did. Do these automatically set included when you submit your application as when you review your application before submitting you can't see them attached, therefore I have no-idea if they got sent? Can anyone confirm?

Good luck all! :)

Ah my bad... its not Hull Trains but a Northern job based out of Hull! Yes DB's system is a bit clunky but I think they just use the CV and cover letter that are set as 'preferred' (you can upload more than one). The system doesn't actually attach them to anything. You should be able to see the uploaded files in your account area.

EGL1

Ah my bad... its not Hull Trains but a Northern job based out of Hull! Yes DB's system is a bit clunky but I think they just use the CV and cover letter that are set as 'preferred' (you can upload more than one). The system doesn't actually attach them to anything. You should be able to see the uploaded files in your account area.

Oh I see, so the recruiters can see your profile and uploaded 'preferred' documents presumably through the portal, okay that makes a bit more sense.

toddy109

The DB system isn't very good is it. I submitted my application then added my CV afterwards. I had an interview in 2018 unfortunately just missed out by 2 points. Very frustrating. Suppose see what the sift is like.

feaky4

This would be First Group then - I think you need to put where you are currently living but that shouldn't preclude you from the Hull job. I live in Sussex and I've been invited for an assessment centre for a TPE job on Friday (although that is another story)

Jesus how do you pass the sift I applied for 4 trainee jobs and a conductor job and just get that horrible email

Jesus how do you pass the sift I applied for 4 trainee jobs and a conductor job and just get that horrible email

I suppose I've honed my applications a bit (I've had a few rejected too!) and I think there's an element of luck as well. You've just got to keep plugging away!

feaky4

I suppose I've honed my applications a bit (I've had a few rejected too!) and I think there's an element of luck as well. You've just got to keep plugging away!

Any tips?? I have had strong faith in my applications but just nothing maybe it's my job that doesn't transfer? I'm confident around the rest it's just getting to that point

dsk

Yeah, they're both Northern jobs, which is why I'm a bit hesitant. Cheers anyhow

Any tips?? I have had strong faith in my applications but just nothing maybe it's my job that doesn't transfer? I'm confident around the rest it's just getting to that point

Well I'm no expert, but if its just a CV they need (DB for example) then keep it to less than 2 pages of A4 if possible, with the emphasis on your last couple of jobs and the core skills they are looking for. Don't forget to include any hobbies or other interests you have, particularity if you've had to learn new skills.

If it's an application that has competency based questions e.g. 'give an example of a time you went the extra mile for a customer' then keep to the point and emphasise the customer service, safety or abiding by rules element that they are looking for. Don't be afraid to think outside the box with those questions - the answers don't need to relate to your work, and ask someone whose judgement you trust to read what you've written before you hit the 'complete application' button!

feaky4

Well I'm no expert, but if its just a CV they need (DB for example) then keep it to less than 2 pages of A4 if possible, with the emphasis on your last couple of jobs and the core skills they are looking for. Don't forget to include any hobbies or other interests you have, particularity if you've had to learn new skills.

If it's an application that has competency based questions e.g. 'give an example of a time you went the extra mile for a customer' then keep to the point and emphasise the customer service, safety or abiding by rules element that they are looking for. Don't be afraid to think outside the box with those questions - the answers don't need to relate to your work, and ask someone whose judgement you trust to read what you've written before you hit the 'complete application' button!
Thanks for the advise I'll try to polish the cv up it's pretty good but might be missing a couple bits this time around its cv and cover letter I always give examples of why I have certain skills so i don't say i can concentrate i say why i can concentrate i.e dispense medicine all day and other tasks I hope it's not my grades that let me down, but I'm also doubting they even read the cover letter as that conductor job I applied for I uploaded my train driving cover leter with the job reference on and I just looked at my account on the site and the conductor job now says assessment? No email yet though just confused

Status
Not open for further replies.